May 2016 Moms

trouble sleeping at night?

So I'm about 6 weeks in now and I have had the worse time sleeping at night. Before I found out I was pregnant I had a bad cold which kept me up and now that sleep pattern has carried on for about 3 weeks.. Getting maybe 5-6 hours a night... Any advice?

Re: trouble sleeping at night?

• I'm in the same boat. I've been waking up and having to pee, or burning up. Hard to fall back asleep & can't use any lavender oil right now. I'm also 6wks
  • I'm about 4 weeks and I have the exact same thing.  I was could a couple weeks ago, I'm still coughing and clearing my throat from that.

I'm exhausted, but as soon as I lay down I can't fall asleep.  I just want to sleep!!  

• Loading the player...
  • 5-6 hours??
    I'm getting 3-5 and that's an improvement! 

Have you cut out all caffeine, including chocolate?
    Avoiding sugar in the evenings?
    No screens in your bedroom (TV/computer)?
    Wind down for an hour before bed: read and listen to music - don't watch TV or use the computer right before bed.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Yep :( I usually sleep like a rock, but not anymore. 
  • edited September 2015
    Sleep has never been simple for me. I'm a chronic night owl (from infancy) and literally get sick when I try to force my internal clock to change (not sure how that will work with parenthood...) When I was pregnant the first time (MC) my probable RLS graduated to DEFINITE RLS and never demoted itself. It comes and goes, but it looks like it's sticking around for pregnancy #2. And I don't want to overuse any of my tricks to relieve it-- peppermint essential oil is probably a no, anti-itch creams and lotions with peppermint or menthol I now use sparingly and only when desperate, knocking myself out with Benadryl doesn't seem safe, and even the melatonin says to consult a doctor. Wrapping my feet in those cooling cloth things that hang on to water and evaporate slowly helps a tiny bit. And... It's been abysmally hot here too, which exacerbates it. Ugh. And, of course, I gotta pee in the middle of the night. What is sleep?
  • I have been taking Benadryl every night to help me fall asleep but that's only temporary. On top of my allergies being even worse than before. The post nasal drip  (Ew, gross) is not helping me and causing me to cough a lot at night.
    (Me) 30 & (DH) 32 {Together 11 years - Married 04.17.15}

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    TTC Baby #2 since 06/15 | BFP 9/4/15 | EDD 5/07/16

BabyGaga
  • Sleep has never been simple for me. I'm a chronic night owl (from infancy) and literally get sick when I try to force my internal clock to change (not sure how that will work with parenthood...) When I was pregnant the first time (MC) my probable RLS graduated to DEFINITE RLS and never demoted itself. It comes and goes, but it looks like it's sticking around for pregnancy #2. And I don't want to overuse any of my tricks to relieve it-- peppermint essential oil is probably a no, anti-itch creams and lotions with peppermint or menthol I now use sparingly and only when desperate, knocking myself out with Benadryl doesn't seem safe, and even the melatonin says to consult a doctor. Wrapping my feet in those cooling cloth things that hang on to water and evaporate slowly helps a tiny bit. And... It's been abysmally hot here too, which exacerbates it. Ugh. And, of course, I gotta pee in the middle of the night. What is sleep?
    Benadryl is safer than Melatonin when pregnant.
    Unisom (the doxylamine version) is also safe (it is category A).
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020