January 2016 Moms

Nerdy nursery themes

Hey everyone! My hubby and I found out the gender of our baby last week (it's a girl!) and nursery planning is in full swing. I am so so excited, because we are doing an owl themed room with a Harry Potter twist. My Pinterest board is out of control, I have so many fun ideas! I was wondering if there are any other nerdy mamas out there that are working on out of the box nurseries!

Re: Nerdy nursery themes

• We're doing a cryptozoological nursery, which sounds pretty weird at first, but it's really just a Land of Make Believe theme.  We got inspired by these adorable prints we bought:

So basically it's going to be a bunch of make believe creatures, mermaids, unicorns, bigfoot, etc.  My mom thinks we're a little nuts but we're excited! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't believe this never occurred to me! I'd have loved a Harry Potter/Narnia/Hobbiton/Dragon themed nursery, so now I'm kicking myself. Failed nerd! 

Ah well, we'll probably be moving before baby is a year old and we're sharing a room until then so our Jungle nursery corner is cute enough for now. 

I hope you all post pictures of your nerdy nurseries when they're done, I'd love to see them!
  • @Blueyedsky one of my good friends is doing a Doctor Who nursery and it is so cute!! Lots of stars and galaxy themed stuff, with some bow ties and cute quotes on the wall.
  • @Ebiejay do it when you move!! We were originally just going to do an owl room, but the owl baby stuff is so cartoony, we decided to take it in a different direction. I can't wait to see it all put together. I'll definitely post pictures!
  • @maureenmce that sounds so cute!!
  • I love the "nerdy" nursery ideas :) DH and I definitely toyed with a lot of different nerdy ideas including a star wars theme with "Caleb, I am your father" painted over the crib, but we settled on something a little tamer. His theme is going to be robots. I guess that is still a little off beat, I haven't seen anyone else do one, but the decor is pretty easy to find!
  • I pinned a ton of cute Doctor Who nursery ideas, but there is no way I could get DH on board.
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We are doing a night time moon and stars nursery but with Totoro. Also my adorable husband is making a super nerdy mobile. The base is going to be a basestar from btg, one of his classic childhood toys. Then little plush ships hanging from it. Such as an x-wing, serenity and tardis.
  • We're doing an outer space theme, with planets, rocket ships and some cute little aliens
  • Looked into a Star Wars nursery, DH is a huge fan. Went with his other hobby due to availability of products! (Ocean/saltwater aquariums!)

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• This is my third baby and I haven't decorated a nursery for any of them. BUT, before I had my first I really wanted to do a math themed nursery for him with lots of numbers and other math things, I think it would be cute! He took over the already sort of sports themed office instead.
  • I love all of your ideas, and I can imagine how awesome they will look.  We opted to not do a theme, but more just sticking with a color pallet. We are having a boy.  Our colors are navy, grey, lime green, and aqua blue. It'll be mostly the first three with pops of the aqua. As of right now, we have't bought any "themed" stuff per-say, but ETSY had a few cute wall hangings that happened to have dinosaurs themed with them.  So if we do get those, I will probably go with a few more pieces that are prehistoric in some way. 
  • I wish I could do a doctor who theme nursery. DH wasn't into it. I'm doing Hello Kitty instead hehehe
    imageimage
  • makeshifwings  I love this idea!! We are doing a Harry Potter inspired nursery too but we picked Ravenclaw to use as the color scheme. There are so many cute things on Etsy it's hard to control myself! :)
  • I had not seen that blanket jrogue12 and now I must have it. Miyazaki is my favorite director, I have a matching totoro tattoo with my best friend. Totoro was the first of his movies I every saw.
  • We are having a a Star Wars nursery and are almost finished with it. I had to convert from my daughter's nursery and thought it wouldn't be as cozy but it turned out better than I thought! I love nerdy themes!
  • jrouge12 said:

Speaking of nerdy baby things I never shared my announcement on the announcement post but this seems like an appreciative audience (sorry about the crappy job blocking our faces).

Ah!! That is so great lol!
  • edited September 2015
    I have to say my boyfriend and I area taking a "nerdy" turn for our sons nursery. My boyfriends father is a graphic artist, he mainly does comics, so my boyfriend pretty much grew up around everything comic (ie: DC and Marvel). I told him if we had a boy, which we are, that we could do a comic theme nursery. I have found so many cute ideas that can grow with him and his room. I can't imagine with his dad and grandfather around that he wont love them just as much. Our main focus is Batman and Captain America (My boyfriends favorites), but will probably have a little bit of everything so the little guy can pick a favorite of his own.
  • I think our nursery is girly AND nerdy. While not on the fantasy bent, we are doing an Anne of Green Gables theme.
    They were my favorite series growing up (HP wasn't around then,) and we even considered the characters' names for our daughter. 
    We are just going with some really vintage looking things, but then adding some Anne art we got from Etsy, and I am making a cross stitch sampler or two to go in there. The best part is that we got these shadowboxes that are the perfect size for displaying the fronts of several of the series.
  • BabyFeldBabyFeld member
    edited September 2015
    @stephanienjer I LOVE that idea - huge Anne fan here too, must have read the series 100 times growing up - surely your daughter will be named Small Anne Cordelia ;) ? Or ruby or diana? Please say yes!
  • I love AOGG! It was my favorite growing up and still is. If we had a son I wanted to name him Gilbert :) What a great idea for a nursery!
  • BabyFeld said:
    @stephanienjer I LOVE that idea - huge Anne fan here too, must have read the series 100 times growing up - surely your daughter will be named Small Anne Cordelia ;) ? Or ruby or diana? Please say yes!
    We discussed very seriously Diana, Marilla, and Avonlea. Diana was in our top two. Alas, we went with another literary classic--Pride and Prejudice. She'll be Elizabeth Jean. (Jean is my late mother-in-law's name.)
  • Doctor who themed nursery is in the works for our Declan! I found some great tardis prints and other whovian things on etsy!!!
  • A friend of mine went with Star Wars for her little boy and another friend of mine decided to embrace her and hubby's love of video games and went with an original Super Mario themed nursery! We don't know the gender of our little one yet so we haven't settled on a theme for our munchkin yet.
  • jina-revxvaljina-revxval Just Joined
    edited May 2023
    So cute !