June 2015 Moms

Bad habits vs. adequate nap time?

my 13 week old lo wakes after 45 minutes of napping no matter what. He just can't seem to integrate his sleep cycles on his own. If I pick him up, hold him for a while and put him back down next to me he will keep sleeping and get a solid 1.5 hour nap. But...am I just reinforcing bad habits? I keep telling myself that I'll get more strict about things at 4 mos. what are others doing at this point?

Re: Bad habits vs. adequate nap time?

• My DS would only nap in 45 minute chunks in the beginning too. If I wanted him to sleep longer, it meant I was stuck on the couch with a boopy and baby. He eventually found his groove and he would take two long naps (around 10 and 2) and a couple of micro naps of about 30-45 a piece. DD is different. I can usually get her to take a long nap mid day in her crib, but the others are either on my lap, in the car seat on the go, or we sometimes nap together. I wouldn't worry too much about habits now. Just keep working at it and go with your gut on when LO is ready for long naps by themselves.
  • Have you read the article about tickling LO feet during nap to interrupt REM phase which then extends the nap time? It really works for us
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry about bad habits yet either. I followed all the guidelines with DS. With LO, I will take a nap however we can get it.
  • I recently discovered the swing is the only place he will take a long nap. So now he naps in the swing all the time. I will probably kick myself later but for now he sleeps and that is good enough for me.
  • I recently discovered the swing is the only place he will take a long nap. So now he naps in the swing all the time. I will probably kick myself later but for now he sleeps and that is good enough for me.

My LO sleeps anywhere, but seems to sense when I leave. If I'm upstairs she has no problem sleeping in her crib, but as soon as I go downstairs you can count on her waking up. Because the swing is downstairs and that's where I hang out most of the time that's where she sleeps best :)