May 2016 Moms

Quit smoking!

ecable5513ecable5513 member
edited September 2015 in May 2016 Moms
So I picked up the nasty habit of smoking after my first daughter was born while going through an awful divorce. I never kicked the habit completely when my husband and I just found out I'm pregnant a week ago. I of course quit right away but I'm struggling with cravings. And the fact that the pregnancy feels so surreal at this point is making it so hard to not break and have "just one"

Is anyone else going through this or is it just me??? Any suggestions on how to fight cravings since conventional methods are not ideal while pregnant?

Re: Quit smoking!

• I've been off smoking for 6 years and I still occasionally want one. Sugar free lollipops helped me. It wasn't the nicotine I had an issue with, the nicotine leaves your body after less than a week, it was the habit. I spent so long getting rid of the habits of having one at certain times or after eating. When I wanted one I would go out to my usual outdoor smoking spot and have a sugar free lollipop or a homemade healthy Popsicle instead.
  • cristobncristobn member
    edited September 2015
    Hey there I stopped smoking about 4month ago what helped me was keeping my fingers busy
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry it didn't post my whole reply so I'll continue here:
    I started knitting so my hand were occupied all the time and the plus right now is that you could knit little things for the baby :) it's fairly easy to learn knitting I learned it through YouTube videos:) I hope it will help you as well!!!
  • I smoked for 10 years and I quit about 4 years ago. I had to break the habit of having one like I'd have one after eating, drinking, driving and so for. I started keeping my hands busy and that helped. I developed a strange lung condition that made it seemed like I was being squeezed all the time so it was hard to smoke anyways!

I do remember about 3 weeks after quiting I went on a 6 hour road trip and I remember the feeling of not having to roll the windows down to smoke. It was a great feeling!
  • Mel90412Mel90412 member
    edited September 2015
    What PP said. And also stay the hell away from smokers. Seriously, if anyone in your household smokes they really need to quit or keep it away from your home. Good luck! Think about that sweet little baby. They deserve the best, healthiest start at life. And it's up to you to provide that!
  • I've smoked on and off for 17 years. Everyone I start again, it gets harder to quit. This last couple of times I quit, I weaned to vapor cigarettes, then to gum. On the plus side, I no longer crave real cigarettes! On the down, I do still crave the digital ones, which still isn't good. I had to keep myself super, super busy with my kids this time. Like, I made sure we were out in public doing things all day long,with no times I could sneak off to vape, because I've never ever smoked around my children. We went to the park, to the pool, to the zoo, to friends houses, etc.
    See if your community has a quit line to contact. Dh and I were definitely not good support for each other this last time, although we have been before.
  • Thanks for the advice! I'm really trying and I know I can do it, but I'm just annoyed at how miserable i am!
  • I've been smoking for more than 10 years and just quit now as soon as I found out that I'm pregnant - it's been 10 days and getting better. I think knowing that I'm pregnant is the best motivation u have for not having a smoke .. It's the first time I've been able to go for so long without a smoke !
  • I smoked in college and naively assumed quitting would be easy which of course it wasn't. I found nibbling on sunflower seeds to be extremely helpful, something about the effort of de-shelling them that distracted me from cravings. Also, stress balls are a good way to keep your hands busy. Good luck! You can do it!