August 2015 Moms
Options

She's not pooping

My 2 week old hasn't pooped in 3 days. She is still wetting many diapers a day. She also has gas, but she isn't fussy. I only notice when I'm holding her and smell it thinking its a dirty diaper and there is nothing. Just wondering if anyone experienced this. We are calling pediatrician first thing in the morning just incase.

Re: She's not pooping

• Options
    Haven't experienced it but maybe she's not getting enough hind milk if you're BFing?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sjnarrysjnarry member
    edited September 2015
    Are you breastfeeding? It *can* be normal for EBF babies to go days without pooping. My son is 3weeks and has a good full poopy diaper every other to every third day, with a few sharts here and there. My oldest (now 3.5yrs) would regularly go 10-12 days without pooping, and my daughter (now two) set the record at 16 days without a poop. Neither were constipated. Just using all the nutrients so there was little waste (per pediatrician's explaination) if your child is having issues or difficulty popping I would be concerned. As long as the wet diaper keep coming everything should still be good (unless you are formula feeding, then I would be concerned about constipation).
    If you are concerned for sure call the Dr
  • Options
    We are EBF. Which makes me feel a little better but we will probably still call the doctor in the morning just incase.
  • Options
    My pediatrician said an EBF baby can go days without pooping. She said not to worry until we hit two weeks without. My baby poops about every four days, give or take.
  • Options
    I just had this talk with my pediatrician today. With a breastfed baby, they can go over a week without a bowel movement because they can absorb all the breast milk. Formula fed babies tend to poop more. Also, she said it was very uncommon for a infant to be constipated. Constipation happens more when they start with solids. Of course always consult your child's pediatrician, but this is the info that I received today.
  • Options
    hesherherohesherhero member
    edited September 2015
    I'm trying to be okay with this, but it just seems crazy she went from 1 to 3 poop diapers a day to only peeing. I formula fed my first so I was getting worried and didn't remember my first waiting days to go.
  • Options
    Yeah I know what you mean! Mind went from at least 10 poopy diapers per day to like 2xs if that. Threw me off but appreantly this is normal after reaching a month....
  • Options
    Definitely reach out to your pedi if you're concerned but it's normal for BF babies to not have bowel movements for days.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    gulimz said:

Yeah I know what you mean! Mind went from at least 10 poopy diapers per day to like 2xs if that. Threw me off but appreantly this is normal after reaching a month....

Yeah, mine had several a day until just recently. (Around a month) She'll have like one medium per day.
  • Options
    I feel like my baby just sharts all the time lol she has a good poop here and there but sharts with a little tiny output throughout the day.
  • Options
    DS did this for a few days when he wouldn't poop at all or just once a day after pooping almost every time he ate.  He was back to making huge poops several times a day after a few days.  My pedi said that around 3 weeks or so their intestines start working which may change things up a bit while they figure out how to fart and poop.  Before that point they can poop without any effort but once the digestive system really kicks in they need to "try" to poop.  
  • Options
    We have been fighting constipation with LO and you can definitely tell a difference between unable to poop vs not needing to! When constipated, LO red-face screams while straining and doesn't pass gas much. If he passes anything, it is formed and dry.
  • Options
    Agree with PPS that a breastfeeding baby can go 7 days without a bowel movement per my pediatrician. As long as the poop is soft/loose and not pellet like, then the baby isn't constipated.
  • Options
    We went through this at 4 weeks. Her pedi surprisingly told us to give her 2 oz of apple juice. We do it everytime now bc she sometimes has 5 day stretches without a bm.
  • Options
    foe ebf babies it is normal. some babies poo with every feeding and some only go once a week.  Feel Lo's tummy, if it is hard, she may be constipated.  If it is soft LO should be just fine and normal
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I know EBF babies can go for long periods without a poop but a doctor recently told me that a two week old should be having 3-4 poops a day and then the' between poop stretches' may get longer from around a month. My DS does one - two poops a day and then there's always a little skid mark in every other nappy so I'm not worried. all babies are going to be different anyway.

I hope I don't get a baby that goes two weeks between poops.... I wouldn't be leaving the house after a few days for fear of the blowout from hell!!