Adoption

Adoption/ Signing over parental rights?

Ok, so DH and I started looking into adoption about 2 months ago when we heard through a friend that a friend of hers was just going to give up her baby. She doesn't want to go through an adoption agency or anything and basically just wants to sign over her rights. Is this possible? Would we have to go through an agency anyway for home visits and stuff like that? We have an appointment to meet with our lawyer friend in a few days to see what he says, but I am interested in what you ladies could tell me so I can get a feel for what to ask him or what he might tell me. I am super nervous this isn't going to work out like I want it to. TIA! 
NTNP since 2012
Officially TTC #1 since January 2015

Re: Adoption/ Signing over parental rights?

• She can go through a private attorney. I did. I am a birthmom. All I had to do was fill out a medical questionnaire, and give appropriate hospital I for to the lawyer. She came to me to sign my rights. We also set up court agreements for visitation, medical/pregnancy bills etc. but it was a lot less invasive than an agency would have been for me. On the adoptive parents side you will probably still have to get certified etc. but it's less for her.
  • what if she already paid all of her hospital bills (the baby is 2 months old now and we are just not getting things set up) and she doesn't want visitation or anything? do you think we would still have to do court? 
    NTNP since 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • You would still have to do court if you legally want the baby to be yours. But you wouldn't have to do the medical or visitation. She would have to sign over her rights as mom to you, and you would have to sign for rights and to finalize adoption as the baby is legally yours. I believe you could do this without the home study and being certified for adoption etc but not 100% positive.
  • thank you so much! I am very nervous about this and am hoping it goes smoothly and I want to make sure that I know everything I can so we did hit any bumps in the road that may prolong this. 
    NTNP since 2012