Stay at Home Moms
Options

Are you a homebody?

Do you find that you spend the bulk of your time out and about or at home?
I am a total introvert by nature, and am usually perfect happy to be home all day more often than not. But I have other SAHM friends who are out with their kids all day, everyday. I kind of have to force myself to get everyone out of the house. And now days, with things like grocery delivery, and Amazon... there is even less reason for me to have to go anywhere. 
I have some "mommy guilt" around it though, and wonder if we should be out more. 
What is your tendency?
Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11

Re: Are you a homebody?

• Options
    I like to be out & about, except on cold snowy days. I think this is because I stink at imaginary play, so I'd rather be running errands or attending story time. I also crave adult interaction even if for only a little bit.
  • Options
    I am a homebody when I don't have to go out and run errands. Mostly because my friends have all gotten on with their lives and we don't keep in touch anymore. I also don't know anyone with kids around here. It gets lonely sometimes but i'm also shy and introverted as well
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like to get out, but not with my kids - especially running errands (shoot me). I usually spend more time at home than my friends with similarly aged kids, but I'm starting to go out more with my oldest bc he needs it more - often we just play in the yard and that suffices.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Options
    We stay home mostly. I joined some mommy groups in the area for us both to socialize more but some days I just don't feel like it. Plus, I'm a germ-a-phobe and LO keeps getting sick so I'd rather avoid people and be exhausted than go through another illness. He's in the toddler years and super hyper sometimes so I try to find things to do to wear him out from time to time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's an excellent question about the mommy guilt. And I don't really have a good answer for it. 
    I guess maybe part of it is that I'm also homeschooling, and the idea of kids getting enough "socialization" is always such a hot topic in relation to homeschooling. But still, I don't think that's the whole reason. You've given me something good to think about!
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    My LO is only 11 months old, but many of the moms I know seem to be at mommy groups or structured activities several times each week. While we have occasionally partaken in things like this, our time out of the house is mostly spent going to the park or swimming pool on our own or running errands. My son is able to socialize with other little ones his age when we are at the park or pool, but sometimes I do feel the "mommy guilt," like I'm not giving him enough time around other kids. But then I look at him and see what healthy, happy kid he is and feel confident about how I'm doing things. 

I'm also an introvert by nature and just don't enjoy the mommy dates and such like some women do, so I don't really feel like I should force myself to do them if it wouldn't be enjoyable. I think that as long as your kids are having some opportunities to interact with other people and are getting time to play outside, you shouldn't second-guess yourself and should go with what feels right.
  • Options
    I'm a homebody and we tend to stay inside. You sound a lot like me :)
  • Options
    I stay home except for errands and the occasional quick shopping trip. When we do go out it's usually to visit my parents. It's so much easier being at home with a 4 month old. He's a bit needy too so doesn't last too long in his stroller when we're out. I do plan on trying to start a taking the baby swim lessons at the ymca when he's 6 months old though.
  • Options
    I'm a new SAHM. My son is 9 weeks but I've always been a homebody. If I don't have to go out, I won't find a reason to. I love staying home
  • Options
    I'd love to be out & about. Now I have 2, one infant. One still taking two naps. So I feel imprisoned at home. DH lets me escape after bedtime. I'll just go walk Target!
  • Options
    annie10annie10 member
    edited November 2015
    No, I like to go zoo/ children's museum/ parks/playgrounds/classes/play dates with my kids. Not stores, though - yuck! Now that we have three - ages 6 mos, 3 and 5 yrs - I'm trying to slow down. It's exhausting just getting them ready. Since winter's coming and we live in a cold & snowy place, we'll hunker down & stay home more.
  • Options
    KVela724KVela724 member
    edited December 2015

** Removed for TOU violation **

• Options
    I like to stay home. With a 3 y/o and a 2 m/o, it's just to difficult to get about. I'll do SOME errands but I'd prefer my husband to be with us so he can control my older son while I mind the baby. I do feel guilty however, like I should be taking my oldest son places to play and such. But we do a lot of activities at home, and I'll go out front to play with him occasionally. It's these super mom's that can manage four kids and their homes without breaking a sweat that mas me feel like I'm lacking in the mom department..
  • Options
    When it was just my son & I, we went out quite a bit. But now with 9 month old twins & a 3 year old....no way. I'm a total homebody. It's entirely too much work getting them all out. Plus I never mess with the nap schedules. Luckily, my hubby can work from home easily so he can hang with the kids while I run errands which I prefer to do alone. These days it's a bit odd how much structured activity goes on for the little ones. I think a little here & there is fine, but these mommy groups in my town are totally over the top. 
  • Options

I'm a homebody, shy & introverted. We just moved to a new area that's very rural and I don't know anyone. I forced myself to meet a couple of moms recently & there might be some friend potential there. Now it's cold so I think everyone is generally staying in.

My existing friends (who all live far from me now) like to joke that they had to force me into a friendship when we met. Funny but they're right. I'm not outgoing at all. I'm sure it comes across as antisocial but I'm just really shy around people I don't know well & terrible at small talk.

A lot of effort goes into getting myself & the kids dressed and out the door with everything we need. My two year old will inevitably start throwing a fit and I'm left wondering why I bothered. lol. I enjoyed getting out before when I had a good friend who lived right around the corner and it was laid back & easy to hang out with each other. Meeting new people and going to new places is stressful for me. I definitely try to avoid running errands with the kids if I can but I'm lucky that my husband's schedule allows me the opportunity to get out without them. Some moms have no choice but to do it all with kids in tow.

I feel guilty staying home so much sometimes, I'm sure the kids miss getting to hang out with other kids as often as we used to. Since I've only been a SAHM 5 months I think I'm just enjoying that I don't have the insane/hectic schedule I've had since I started having kids 7 years ago. I want to stay home...in pajama pants. :-)

As the kids get older and involved in more things (and I eventually go back to work) I'm sure I'll miss the days when I could stay home so much!

Married: '06 - Mom of 3 boys: '08, '11 & '14

• Options
    I'm a total homebody. I am perfectly content spending a lot of time at home :)
  • Options
    I used to be a homebody but having a daughter at home with me all day I feel like we have to get out and do stuff. I try to go somewhere every day because I find sitting around the house gets dull. Maybe that's why I have a hard time finding time to clean it!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I get out a few days a week even if just to Starbucks or target to keep me sane with the babe. Forget getting out of the house by noon though with a 4.5 month old. Wish I could do a play group or something but they are all so early!!
  • Options
    I usually find going out too demanding. Plus, my husband takes our one car to work every day and runs errands on his way home. We're in a rural area, so walking anywhere isn't really an option. I've formed friendships with other local moms, so we get some socializing in, but typically at home. 
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • Options
    I don't think there is a set thing you have to do. I agree, some of my friends go out all day everyday, and others are perfectly content staying home. When my boys were younger I was out all the time - I got stir crazy being home - now with three I enjoy staying home more, I need to keep up with laundry, clean, cooking, my work, and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. I have taken my role and become content with it - I don't need much more.

I also find it is so hard to keep up with the rat race of play dates all the time. It's exhausting!
    Alicia
    Mom to Three Sweet Things
    Lifestyle Blog and Health and Wellness
  • Options
    I really enjoy being a homebody, my daughter is almost 6 months old and I keep getting comments on how I should get out of the house more and it would be good for me like I'm not enjoying being home. I also don't see the benefit in disrupting naps and feeding schedules so that I can get this magical out of the house feeling, what is this, prison? I guess I missed the memo that it's supposed to be torture to be in your home? I spend every moment it's nice outside with DD and have a couple of friends with kids that she gets to socialize with and I really can't be convinced that anything more at this point would be beneficial for either of us.
  • Options
    I have 4 (8,7,2,&1) and if I dont get out everyday I feel like the walls start to close in on me. The older ones are now in school, but I try to do one kid related stop (like a playplace or park for an hour or a library class) and one errand each morning (like a couple returns/dry cleaning/oil change/small shopping trip) w the little ones, unless it's a morning where I have to do a large errand (like groceries for 6) then I'll just go for a walk or something with them to get some fresh air. The 2 year old has quiet time while the baby naps in the early afternoon, then the older two get home from school and we have homework and dinner before going out again for sports practices for them. It can be crazy, but my kiddos (& me!) will go kookoo stuck in the house all day, even w crafts and toys. To each there own tho - I know plenty of moms who are the opposite!
  • Options
    BestmomideasBestmomideas member
    edited August 2016
    I'm an introvert as well. I'd much rather be at home. We tend to do activities at home mainly because I don't like to interrupt my boys' napping schedule. But they do get to socialize when we go to the gym or church. I try to take them to story time at the library, but I don't feel guilty if we don't make it since my boys have other opportunities to interact with kids. 

• Options
    I leave the house like once a week. *sigh* 

But I think the whole "perfect mom" sh*t is baloney. Where they go to mommy and me classes and set up play dates for their 4 month old. Hey if you really enjoy it, go ahead. I think some people just try too hard because they don't want to be judged. If you'd rather be home you shouldn't feel guilty for that. I've come pretty close to not caring what people think anymore because I got so sick of it. 

I DO however, wish I could leave the house more than I do! I don't drive (I know, I know) and we only have one car anyway so wouldn't make a difference. There's nowhere to go. Does walking the dog count as leaving the house? Because I do that sometimes...

• Options
    If we had the money for me to run around in our gas hog truck to make play dates and go places that children would enjoy, I totally would. Probably more for myself than for the kids because I go stir crazy so easily.
    Alas, we are perpetually broke, and I have no friends who live nearby or aren't busy with their own lives anyway. I wish my cousin would move back in town, she had her LO a week before I had my youngest, so we'd be able to relate and do mom/baby/kid stuff stuff together, but she has flown the coop as well. Oh well. #momlyfe
  • Options
    I'm perfectly content staying home most days and don't really feel the urge to get out. However, I do try to get out more with my toddler...but man it can be a lot of work.

I have a couple friends from high school (more like acquaintances back then) who had baby girls a month after I had mine, we've sort of formed a little group. So we have play dates either at someone's house, a park in summer, the zoo or a play place a couple times a month. We also usually do some activity when my husband is off because the two adult to one child ratio makes it so much easier.

I feel like I should do more but it never quite goes as expected. We've tried music class, mommy and me gymnastics etc. and it was just a mess, my toddler wants her own way and has very strong opinions...she just wants to run free. I've come to terms with that and try to not to worry so much.

Sometimes instagram gets in my head when I see all these mom friends doing something out of the house every day with their toddlers. But I try to tell the guilty voice in my head to shut up! 

Now I'm pregnant with my second, sick and exhausted all day. I consider it a win if I don't use Mickey Mouse as a babysitter all day while I lay on the couch lol. 

• Options
    beemohrbeemohr member
    edited April 2018
    *Removed for TOU Violation*
  • Options
    I am a homebody, but I also go out to do errands. I enjoy going out with family during weekends
  • Options
    When DD was little I stayed at home for the most part; however, as she got a little older like 2 or 3 she needed a little change of scenery so we'd go somewhere each day even if it was for a car ride.
  • Options
    I am also an introvert, however being home now with my son 24/7 makes me want to get out & get some sunshine. I find joy in just going to get groceries or going to Walmart lol. I don't think you should feel guilt until your child is around 1 and a half+ because then your child does deserve to go out into fresh air and have fun at a park or something. I'm a firm believer in kids needing to be active and run around!!!
  • Options
    With my first I joined a mommy group set up by the hospital that I gave birth at and I went to a LLL meetings once a week.  When he started walking I joined mygym, 6 yrs later and my son is still best friends with one of the girls from the mommy group meetings. 
  • Options
    I am a 100% homebody. Could stay whole day long, especially in winter
  • Options
    nken20nken20 member
    I'm a homebody though I graduated as a teacher. I preferred not to work and be a full-time wife and mum.