October 2015 Moms
Options

Nurse screwed up at the hospital and now I can't pee without pain, how can I relieve the pain?

I was at the hospital in L&D area this morning with pre-term contractions. They gave me Turb and they stopped, but the nurse was very new and when she tried to do a cervical swab for FFN I'm pretty sure she got the swab in my urethra instead. There was an immense amount of pain at the time, and when she pulled the swab out there was blood. She said they needed a urine sample to test for a UTI, which came back negative, but when I gave the sample there was visible blood. Now it's three hours later and I need to urinate but I can't. Even one drop of urine causes so much pain that I start crying, and I have a very high pain tolerance. Is there anything I can do to get rid of or ease the pain short of going back to the hospital? I'm desperate, but I can't miss any more work.

First Time Mommy!

Due Date: Oct 11th 2015

Re: Nurse screwed up at the hospital and now I can't pee without pain, how can I relieve the pain?

• Options
    Is it like the burning feeling when you have a UTI? I've never had that happen to me before, but I would think you could take Azo.They are little orange pills that turn your pee orange and they take away pain and burning feeling when you pee. Call your OB and ask if its safe for pregnancy first. I would think your OB could tell you a med to take to help ease the pain. Sorry! Hope you get to feeling better!
  • Options
    I wouldn't automatically assume the nurse did something wrong.  There could be something else going on down there, especially since you were being seen for contractions in the first place.  I would call your OB.  Hope you feel better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I definitely suggest following up with your doc as urethra issues are not one to mess with.  Did they do a full blown culture or just a dip strip urine test?  The latter doesn't always catch every type of UTI and you don't want one of those going undiagnosed and blowing up into a much bigger problem.

As for help with the pain - I have chronic urethra issues and know how crippling that kind of pain can be.  I typically avoid AZO-type products because they aren't good for long-term use, and I have completely avoided them while pregnant.  When my pain flares up, my lifesaver has been Calmoseptine ointment (it's a diaper rash cream, though sometimes I find it with the Depends/adult diaper section rather than with the regular diaper creams) - I apply some of that to the area and after a few minutes it usually has really helped to take the edge off the pain.  I think it's the menthol that helps, though be warned that I have tried using other menthol-based products that ended up being too concentrated and OUCH did they hurt, so I just stick with the Calmoseptine now.  Heating pads or hot baths (just an inch or two deep as to not overheat) help as well.

Can't stress enough, though, to check with your doctor - the above will help manage the pain but won't treat any underlying issues/causes.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I would suggest contacting your OB and explaining what you experienced. They might want to examine you if it continues.
  • Options
    Ohhhh that sounds like a UTI :( definitely call your OB, tell them everything from the exam to your pain. I hope they can help you. I'm sorry mama. I know that pain and I cried too
    October Siggy Challenge

Image result for horrible pregnancy halloween costumes

Oct 15 Glitter Bunnies

• Options
    I ended up having to go back to the hospital, they definitely put the swab in my urethra and now I have a lovely catheter and leg bag for at least the next two days. Good news is baby Rowan is still, so I can deal with a bit of discomfort as long as he stays healthy.

First Time Mommy!

Due Date: Oct 11th 2015

• Options
    For immediate relief they suggest cranberry juice (the real stuff) and lots of fluids. Whatever may cause pain during urination these are supposed to help. Sometimes you can psych yourself into making it worse. Try to relax and let it happen. But even though more fluids will make you have to go more they will also decrease the concentration of your urine making it less painful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm an RN and the only thing that seems to help with the pain during urination is a drug called pyridium. It stains everything orange including your urine but helps immensely. I don't knew what the safety rating is during pregnancy though so they may not have given you a script for it due to that. Check with your provider. Otherwise I think standard Tylenol would help you with the general pain. Sorry to hear she swabbed your urethra. I'm surprised she would have inserted it there instead of the vagina. It still sounds like a UTI to me though. Keep an eye on your temperature and drink lots of fluids. Feel better!
  • Options
    I am also sorry to hear this happened to you & I hope you feel better soon.
    (As an RN as well, I'm surprised she hit your urethra. It takes a lot of practice to insert something in the the urethra, rather than vagina. I can't tell you how many catheters I've put in a vagina when I was looking for a urethera!).
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!