Pregnant after IF

TMI Progesterone suppository question

Hey ladies!

I'm currently 6w1d after my FET! We are very excited as we've been trying for about 4 years. I had a question tho and excuse me if its too much tmi but I needed to ask you all.

I've been taking 100mg of progesterone supplement via vaginal ssuppository since my transfer about 3-3.5 weeks ago. Have any of you experienced red and irritated vaginal areas? It's sensitive to touch sometimes and it just bugs me. I don't know if it's from the medicine when it comes out touchig my skin sometimes or not. I know when my husband and I have sex he says it burns after sometimes and it burns for me sometimes during and a little while after. Have any of you experienced the same? I don't know if it's normal for me to feel so irritated down there or not and that it looks red.

Re: TMI Progesterone suppository question

• Congrats on your bfp! I have done those suppositories in the past and never had any irritation or redness from them. I suggest calling your doctor Tuesday morning or sooner if they have an after hours line.

Good luck!
  • I had some mild burning while on certain types of progesterone during sex. Never red or irritated though. I agree with PP I would call in.

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm not sure what kind you're on exactly, but I've had similar experience with one type of the progesterone suppositories my doc had me on during our IUI cycles. My doctor concluded that I was allergic to the base that the pharmacy used to host the progesterone and had to tell the pharmacy to use a different one. The second one was better, but still mildly irritating sometimes. Now after our FET, I'm on Crinone progesterone suppositories and although my doctor warned me this time that I may experience discomfort similar to a yeast infection, I've felt zero irritation or discomfort on the Crinone.

Hope this helps you and best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!
  • Thanks ladies. To clarify I'm on endometrin @melliemamma . I'm not sure if that's one of the ones that irritated you too or not. I'm wondering if I'm just sensitive down there. I have an appt Tuesday so I'll bring it up and see what they say.
  • edited September 2015
    Congrats on the BFP! YES! I was so worried. It itched so badly I broke the skin in my sleep! Dr said it was an unfortunate normal reaction. Also, (tmi) make sure to "clean out" the build up. I didn't and had some implantation bleeding and thought I had something far worse happen because the built up mess came out. It also helped with the itching and tenderness. Sorry for the overshare.
  • I didn't know that it came in a "structure" (my doc's words) that you had to clean out either, until I asked and he informed me to clean out the build-up. I didn't have irritation, but I was also doing a second suppository that was had a blue coating designed to be oral, not vaginal, so for me, the build-up and secretions were blue! Ugh! I hope you feel better! I hope your doc can suggest something that gets along with you body better.
  • I had the estrace too! I'm assuming that was your blue pill. I asked to take it orally instead because I was having problems with it 3 times a day @LittleRocket

@kendragrace1215 how did you ladies "clean it out?" I've been getting so itchy down there I thought I was getting a yeast infection but I guess I know now its probably the suppository. I just don't know how I'm supposed to clean it lol
  • Yes, I think it was that!

As far as cleaning out, I did it in the shower, with my fingers. I waited until a good time so I wouldn't be cleaning out medication, just the leftover "structure." It was pretty gross, but necessary!
  • @JaysensMom I generally did it also with my finger when I was on the toilet right before shower. It's a nasty process but definitely helps the irritation. It absolutely feels just like a YI. When I graduated to my OB she looked at it and said it was 100% normal. About a week after stopping it went away! Good luck!
  • Congrats on ur pregnancy! Agreed with pp, mine gets irritated if I don't clean it out every couple of days.
    Wishing u a happy and healthy 9 months!