May 2016 Moms
Options

How long until my knees feel better??

Hi everyone.  This is my first post although I've been lurking on here for months.  Just hoping to get some advice... I'm 5w2d pregnant with my first and super excited! I'm a teacher returning to work on Tuesday after the holiday weekend, and a little nervous about adjusting with some recent discomforts I've been experiencing.  The past 4 days my knees have been killing me!  I've tried icing, heating, stretching, tylenol extra strength (just once), and walking...nothing seems to make a difference.  I've looked on here, but havn't seemed to get any new info.  My first OB appointment isn't for a couple weeks so I called the nurse today, and she told me this early in a pregnancy, this is simply not a gynocological problem and that I should see my internist for a Lyme disease test. According to some reading I've done, this may be normal?  Is there anyone else experiencing knee pain and if so, what gave you relief/when did it stop?? thank you!!  :-S
Married since 7.21.12 

BFP #1: 8.26.15 

EDD: 5.4.16 

Re: How long until my knees feel better??

• Options
    You can probably thank progesterone for that in early pregnancy. Your ligaments relax due to this hormone to allow the hips to expand...but it causes some stretching and/or instability in other places too (like your knees or back or feet). Try sleeping with a pillow between your knees-- that really helped me when I was pregnant with my first. Here's a link that talks a little more about what may be going on (it's not the best, but it gives a fairly good overview): https://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/bodily-changes-during#HormonalChanges1 
    All of that said, it couldn't hurt to follow up with another doctor if that's what your OB recommends. Hope you find some relief!
  • Options
    I've never heard of knee pain due to pregnancy! But, it wouldn't surprise me with all of the crazy changes our bodies go through. Hope you get some relief soon!