Natural Birth

Anyone go med-free with constant monitoring?

I'm nervous that I am going to have high BP as I near the end but I really want a water birth, med-free.  I had epis w/ DD and DS.

In preparing for whatever happens, did anyone have to be constantly monitored and go med-free?  

Where you able to move around, what techniques did you use, any advise?

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone go med-free with constant monitoring?

• Yes absolutely you should have to only have intermittent monitoring. It's standard of care here for low risk moms! Check out evidence based births article on cfm if you need to chat about it with your provider.

• nosoup4unosoup4u member
    edited September 2015
    Yes, I managed med-free w all three of my labors (first was an anomaly bc I was low-risk, other two were bc I was VBAC). Check and see if your provider has telemetry/wireless units, bc they will make it easier (they are also waterproof, so you can labor in the shower or tub).

This time the hospital had a belly band to put the monitors under, but it was too tight for me, so I used the straps. I walked, and used a yoga ball and the bed all without the monitors slipping. Towards the end DS got so low that someone had to hold his tracer, but it wasn't too long, and I was past the point of wanting to walk around.

Hopefully your BP will stay low!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • My blood pressure was high and I had continuous monitoring. They had a birth ball available in the room, but I didn't use it. I laid on my left side and listened to my meditation tracks while my husband rubbed my back, until it was time to push.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Chichigo said:
    My blood pressure was high and I had continuous monitoring. They had a birth ball available in the room, but I didn't use it. I laid on my left side and listened to my meditation tracks while my husband rubbed my back, until it was time to push.
    Did you ask for intermittent monitoring by chance?  I'm just nervous that if I am do end-up high risk, I won't be able to cope w/ the pain by just lying in the bed.  Was the meditation tracks enough or do you wish you had other options?  Thank you!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • I took Bradley Method classes, and labored at home for 12 hours. While I was at home, I used my yoga ball, tools baths and showers, and walked around my house a lot. By the time I was admitted, I was ready to just be still and do an imitation of sleep (side lying, eyes closed, natural breathing). The meditation helped a lot, but it was similar to what I had listened to for most of my pregnancy.

"Continuous" monitoring and IV were two things I didn't put energy into arguing about. They could have unhooked the wires for me to walk around, if I wanted to, but as long as j was in one spot I was being monitored. I will push against it next time.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Telemetry monitoring!! It is worth switching hospitals for. I had continuous monitoring but still walked, bathed, etc.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker