May 2016 Moms
Options

My boss just unintentionally outed me!!

We had a managers' meeting today to discuss the implementation of new software in our company.  It is going to be a huge undertaking, and require a lot of extra hours, work, and cooperation from all terminals and departments in the coming year.  After we got back to our department, my boss came in to my office to further discuss a few issues.  He jokingly said, "I don't want to hear that you're taking any extended time off or that you're expecting anytime soon."  I didn't know how to react.  I know he was just joking and honestly meant nothing by it, but it caught me by surprise.  I smiled and told him "I'll see what I can to about that, but won't make promises."  He then asked if we were going to have more kids.  I caved!  I said, "Yeah, hopefully in late April or early May."  The look on his face was total shock!  He started profusely apologizing and was really embarrassed.

I am so pissed that I caved and told him!  I hadn't planned to tell anyone IRL until at least Halloween.  DH is going to be upset that I said anything.  

Re: My boss just unintentionally outed me!!

• Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I have to tell my bosses too even this early just due to the nature of my job.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    I'm doing my best not to say anything quite yet at work but my mom figured me out already. :\"> she has been a nurse for close to 15 years working in ob and maternity related fields. She knows we are ttc. All I freaking said was that I was dizzy for a sec and she looks at me point blank and asks if I'm pregnant again! Of course I couldn't keep a straight face and tell her... Well... anything! She is sworn to secrecy and dh doesn't know that she knows. I feel really guilty because dh doesn't want to tell anyone yet but it's not like I went running to her spilling my guts, right?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I empathize! I am a terrible liar. I wear my heart on my sleeve and everything is written on my face.

If anyone asks me they're just going to know. Which should be great for the wedding I'm going to sunday...

@EmmieB1025 your boss is probably so embarrassed. And worried your going to turn him in for those comments... Haha. What an awkward conversation for you both!
  • Options

I told my manager.  Not my boss, but her boss.

I've worked for him for 10 years and we have a really good relationship.  My boss however, makes me nervous (she didn't make life easy last time I went on maternity leave).  I told him sooner than planned because I needed a little reassurance that leave wasn't going to be effected by a few things going on here.

image        image

• Options
    OMG... the same thing happened to me.  Luckily it was a private meeting (she had one with every girl in the office about changing duties and the fax server we're getting) ... but she ended mine with "so... do you have anything to tell me?  And I wouldn't be asking this question if I didn't already know the answer" ... I whispered "I'm pregnant" and started to cry. She said she guessed by my behavior and frequent trips to the bathroom.  She was very happy for me and said she'll keep it quiet but she just asked that I keep her in the loop with my plans (i'm hoping to be a SAHM) but she was excited for me!

One of the MD's I work for also figured it out the other day when I almost threw up in the MA's office.  So the MA and one of the MDs I work for also know now.   

I feel like the cat is gonna get out of the bag sooner than I wanted.  
  • Options

Well the good thing is no one's boss sounds too upset about finding out! I plan on not telling anyone until December I wanted it to be a Christmas surprise. Both of my SIL's are due very soon and I don't want to steal anyone's thunder. Does anyone have any tips on keeping it quiet and hiding it?? So far no MS but that could come very soon! TIA!

• Options
    I find it disgusting that bosses are asking this, even if it is in a joking matter. My Uterus = Not Anyone Else's Business. That would be like me saying to my boss, "Are you planning on making anything fun with your genitals? Maybe a balloon animal?"
  • Options
    I told my principal when I was 5wks last time. I didn't mean to, but I had lots of bleeding and was on the phone with my OB when he came into my office. I was sobbing and shaking and he told me to go get it checked out. I told him I had to go get blood work, then wait until after lunch for my ultrasound. He was so cool about it that I actually went back to work between the blood draw and ultrasound and he got mad that I wasn't just relaxing, but I needed to work to keep my mind off things. My old boss was so supportive my entire pregnancy, even the whole bedrest for three months part of it. I pray my new principal is as cool about it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry it had to come out like that, mama! We just had a round of 4 women in my division going out on maternity one right after the other, and our VP said something off the cuff to me about "Hopefully we'll have a break for awhile after this..." Well, I wasn't KU when he said that, but I am now! Men try to be funny, but they aren't.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's awful!! Your bosses should be totally supportive. I suppose I'm lucky because my boss's wife is pregnant and they're expecting their first child. Her pregnancy has been rough. So when I told him (I told him early because I'm due at the busiest time of year for my job) he told me to work from home as much as I want, take anytime I need off for appointments, and to take naps on my lunch break if needed
  • Options
    At first my boss was unhappy to hear the news. We are a small veterinary clinic and not many staff. We already have a girl on maternity leave hoping she comes back. Plus me and another co-worjer are pregnant. My boss is fine now but I could feel the tension build up. I don't blame him for being a little upset for he has 9 months to find two temporary replacements. Yes me and my coworker have the same due date :(
  • Options
    I told my boss and most of the people I work with know... unfortunately  due to my work place and potential hazards I had no choice but to tell them early to keep me safe and when I couldn't go to certain places people guessed.. it would have been nice to wait a little longer but oh well.. the first few people I told were asked to keep it quiet which I appreciated 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers