June 2015 Moms

How much do your babies eat?

DS just turned 12 weeks. He went from barely finishing 3oz at 8 weeks to woofing down 5oz (sometimes 6-7oz) at 9 weeks and hes been at that for the last few weeks. I was concerned that he wasnt eating enough for his age and now I'm concerned he is eating too much.  His two month Dr. appointment he had gained a pound from his 1 month appointment, which made him 11.11lbs. The dr. wasn't concerned and said he is doing great, but then I met a lady in baby yoga whos baby was only a few weeks older and weighed a whopping 16lbs and he baby was smaller than DS at birth.  I'm not sure how much he weighs now, but he is still fitting in all of his clothes from a month ago.  How old are your babies? How much did they weigh at birth and how much do they weigh now? How much are they eating?

Re: How much do your babies eat?

• My DS weighed 7lb12ounces at birth he is 8 weeks now and weighs 12lb13ounces. I was a little concerned but his pedi was not at all cuz he is at 75th percentile in weight. He eats 3 ounces at a go I tried giving him 4 but I noticed that he tends to spit up a lot after I push 4 ounces
  • My LO is 9 weeks and eats about four ounces every three hours. He's BF so that's just from the few times we have weighed him but it seems to stay consistent. When he gets a bottle he'll knock out five like it's no problem and still be hungry 2.5 to 3 hours later. I try to avoid giving him a bottle for that reason. He'll just pig out.
    7 pounds 13 at birth and 10 pounds 3 now.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS was 9 pounds 3.7 oz at birth and now weighs 13.5 pounds at 8 weeks. He has been eating 5-7 ounces every 2 hours since he was 2 weeks. He eats almost all breast milk, but occasionally we give him 4-6 oz of formula per day just because my supply just can't seem to keep up with his demand! Dr. didn't seem concerned at all at his 2 month appointment. She said his weight and height are gaining proportionately and he is in the 80th %tile for both.

• My twin girls are 13 weeks today and take down 4 ounces when they're bottle fed. I bought a scale to see how much they're getting from the breast, and they take anywhere from 3-6.5 ounces. The high amount is first morning feed. They were 6.13 and 7.6 at birth. They're both around 11 pounds now. My pediatrician days 4 ounces of breastmilk is perfect at this age.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My LO gets breastfed and formula due to my low supply. I've never done the weigh thing to see how much breast milk he takes, but he will take 4oz of formula from a bottle afterward usually. Sometimes I give him only 2oz formula because he had been spitting up the last feeding and seemed over full afterward. He averages 5-6 feedings a day (usually every 3-4 hours during the day and every 4 or longer at night...he's in a transitionary sleep stage right now), and most of those get the 4oz bottles, plus boobs.

LO was born 7# 8oz and is now 10# 4oz at 10 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO is 13 weeks and varies how much she eats. Anywhere from 3-5 oz of BM per feeding. I think her morning feed is much more because she hasn't eaten in 9 hours but I have no way of checking. Obviously I don't hold weight to what she takes per bottle since she hates the bottle and won't take much...

birth weight: 7lb5oz
    13wk: 14lb 3oz
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I'm going through something similar at 13 weeks. He was 7 lbs 13oz at birth and only 10'13 at 11 weeks. That put him in the 10th percentile for weight, so, it actually makes me feel good that he's eating more, I've assumed at some point he'd have a "catch-up" growth spurt.
    Before I went back to work he was EBF, so I don't really know how many ozs he'd take, but he would feed about 10 times a day. Now he's putting down 24 ozs by bottle when I'm gone for 10 hours (I usually make 6-7 bottles of 3-4 ozs, but sometime's he'll put down two close together), plus for the first week he would BF 6-8 times on top of that - waking up multiple times at night.
    (I'm sure some of that was comfort feeding, and if this phase doesn't pass naturally, I know we're going to have to work out a better routine, because it's been exhausting and not really sustainable)

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• 13 weeks. He's gained about 5 lbs since birth. He eats about 30oz a day. He's a porker!!
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• ksimo6 said:

13 weeks. He's gained about 5 lbs since birth. He eats about 30oz a day. He's a porker!!

My Lo is 12 weeks.. A few weeks ago he would easily take 5-6 oz every 3-4 hours.. He wasn't spitting up so peds said feed him how much he wants as long as he isn't spitting up. Now he won't take more than 4 oz at a time.. Still no spitting up ... He's 16+ pounds and a happy camper. I'm glad he settled a bit on his intake.

• HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited September 2015
    LO was 7# 9 oz at birth and is now 12.7# at 13.5 weeks. She typically eats 4-5 ounces per feeding, every 3/4 hours, about 25 ounces a day. HOWEVER this week she must be in a spurt because she's pushing 30 ounces, and took down almost 7 ounces in one sitting today. I'm hoping she settles down before daycare starts next week!
  • My little guy is 12 weeks today stats birth he was 8lbs 1oz and at 2 months he was 10lbs 8oz but he was in the 10th percentile for weight. I'm not too worried about it because DD was in the 10th percentile for weight for a while and she grew out of that just fine. We're supplementing and I know LO doesn't really get anything but I'm still trying! He gets anywhere from 24-32 oz a day eating 8oz per feeding.
  • @LaurenAnn0405 Good for you to still be trying!!
  • @janit368 thanks! It's really difficult because I didn't have any problem with supply with DD until about 6 months. I'm hoping that when I go back to work and pump that pumping will help up my supply. If it doesn't work it wasn't meant to be but hopefully things will start to get better.
  • 7 - 11 at birth
    12 - 5.5 at 10 weeks

Eats anywhere from 4-5 oz every 2-3 but if he's off on that day he can go 4 hours Inbetween. I try not to get too caught up in the amount and just read his cues.

• 6lbs 14ozs at birth
    Last week she weighed 12lbs 2 ozs
    She turned 12 weeks yesterday and eats 5ozs every 2 hrs. Besides at night she'll sleep from 8-4/5.
  • 6lbs 4 oz at birth. We are about to hit 12 lbs. he's 13.5 weeks. We aim for 3-4.5 oz every 2-3 hours but we also nurse and bottle feed so sometimes it's a guessing game.
  • 9 lbs 5 oz at birth, he's 10.5 weeks now, but at his 2 month appointment last Friday (3 days before he turned 10 weeks) he was at 13 lbs 11 oz. He eats 5 ounces every 3-4 hours, at night he'll go about 6-8 hours. I tried 6 ounces last week, but he spit up a few times pretty bad, so I switched back to 5.
  • My l/o was 7lbs at birth. At 11 weeks she's 12.1lbs and eating 5oz every 3-4 hours, but sleeping trough the night. He doc was surprised that's she's eating 5oz at a time, however she's only in the 48%. She's doing just fine!
  • LO was 5lbs 15oz at birth and now weighs 11lbs 2oz (she'll be 12 weeks tomorrow). She currently eats 3-4 oz every 2-3 hours. Not sure she's ever had more than 4 oz at a feeding yet.
  • 7 lbs 13 oz at birth
    At her 2 month checkup she was 11 lbs 10 oz
    She will be 10 weeks old on Friday and she eats 4 oz every 3'ish hours and then goes all night without waking up to eat and wakes up and eats 4.5 oz.
    She's in the 60% for height, 75% for weight & 98% for head size
  • KarasTwin said:
    9 lbs 5 oz at birth, he's 10.5 weeks now, but at his 2 month appointment last Friday (3 days before he turned 10 weeks) he was at 13 lbs 11 oz. He eats 5 ounces every 3-4 hours, at night he'll go about 6-8 hours. I tried 6 ounces last week, but he spit up a few times pretty bad, so I switched back to 5.
    it looks like we have a similar situation.  DS was 9.2 at birth and gained about the same as your son by his 2 month appointment.   
  • 8 lbs 11 oz at birth
    He's around 16 pounds and 25.5 inches long, so 95th percentile for both.

He is bottle fed exclusively BM, and takes between 25-30 oz each day.  I feed on demand, so sometimes he takes an ounce, sometimes he takes 5 ounces.

Pregnancy Ticker