February 2016 Moms
Options

Mom tips/tricks/favorite products?

I thought it would be cool if we could share with each other our best, most favorite parenting tips. I know I could still use all the help I can get.

For me, using a video monitor has been by far my favorite baby product. Being able to see my dd sweetly sleeping gives me great peace of mind especially since she is such a light sleeper. When I actually go in and check on her she has a tendency to wake up. This has solved that problem. I highly recommend it!

Also I use cloth diapers (not to actually diaper my baby) but to place under her as I change her diaper. If it was a really messy diaper and got everywhere I didn't have to worry and constantly change the diaper changing pad. I only had to wash the cloth diaper. So much easier. Probably most people have thought of this but I felt like I had a lightbulb moment when I started doing this method.

My last tip is now that my daughter is older and sits in a highchair, whenever we would go out to eat with her, she would throw her placemat on the floor. I never wanted to put her food directly on the table at the restaurant (you never know how clean the table actually is) until I discovered these disposal sticky placements that stick right to the table. Even she can't manage to throw on the ground! Found at Walmart. They are like 10 for just a couple bucks. Awesome! Again maybe something you all knew about but I hand no clue existed and they work great!

So what are your favorite tips/tricks/products you can share so we can hopefully learn something new from each other?

Re: Mom tips/tricks/favorite products?

• Options
    You can get those sticky place mats on Amazon in bulk. I think I got them at target the first time 18 for $8 or something but then j got 60 for $15 or something along those lines. Super deal.
  • Options
    AussiechickaAussiechicka member
    edited September 2015
    Karen249 said:

I thought it would be cool if we could share with each other our best, most favorite parenting tips. I know I could still use all the help I can get.

Also I use cloth diapers (not to actually diaper my baby) but to place under her as I change her diaper. If it was a really messy diaper and got everywhere I didn't have to worry and constantly change the diaper changing pad. I only had to wash the cloth diaper. So much easier. Probably most people have thought of this but I felt like I had a lightbulb moment when I started doing this method.

Boppy have packs of 3 changing table liners that you put over the top of your changing table cover so the poop or pee doesn't get through to the liner if there isan accident. One side has the waterproof liner and the other side is cloth.
    Edited for spelling.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tommee tippee soppy cups don't leak. At all. Ever. They are awesome.

Silicone bibs with the food catcher are the best because food gets caught in the food catcher and less ends up in baby's lap or on the floor. Also, you can just rinse them off when they get dirty.

We had good luck with lansinoh momma bottles. No nipple confusion.

Oball is an awesome first toy because baby can grab the holes easily, even when they don't understand how to grab yet. Was a good car distraction when my son hated his car seat.

• Options
    The only must-have IMO is a Boppy or similar pillow.  I love that thing!  I would even pack it in the car when we went places for when I nursed in the car.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

8. Kidsme food feeder : when my first was teething, I probable bought every single teething toy ever made. He hated all of them. Until this one. you just put an ice cube in the silicone feeder (or sometimes watered down gatorade ice cube if he is dehydrated from being sick) and he would just love grinding his gums on it

@monkeybutt80 Your #8 on the list looks so awesome! My 7 month old dislikes all of his teethers plus the fact that it distributes food is an added bonus.

For my list, I love:
    1. my ergo baby carrier- I've used it from birth to now and it's so versatile and easy to use.
    2. For Mom's pack and play- We borrowed a relative's pack and play on a trip to see family and it was a pita to assemble and disassemble.
    I might add more later but these two are tops.
  • Options
    1) tommee tippee bottles. We were lucky I had 5 different bottles from samples and this was the only one DD would take and worked well with breastfeeding. Many of my mommy friends use them too
    2) boba wrap and Ergo carrier are awesome. DD would just sleep in them
    3) bumbo seat. I actually only used it in the shower and it made my shower so much more enjoyable. Side note I have a large walkin shower and you have to wait till they can sit up.
    4) Sophie! I don't know what it is about this overpriced giraffe but kids love them
  • Options
    baya5 said:

1) tommee tippee bottles. We were lucky I had 5 different bottles from samples and this was the only one DD would take and worked well with breastfeeding. Many of my mommy friends use them too
    2) boba wrap and Ergo carrier are awesome. DD would just sleep in them
    3) bumbo seat. I actually only used it in the shower and it made my shower so much more enjoyable. Side note I have a large walkin shower and you have to wait till they can sit up.
    4) Sophie! I don't know what it is about this overpriced giraffe but kids love them

Both my kids loved Sophie too! I don't really get it but it seems to be a favorite among lots of babies.

1) Aden and Anais muslin blankets. Seriously, so amazing. They are expensive but they stretch and made swaddling so much easier. Not to mention super cozy.
    2) Rock N Play. Both my kids had reflux and both never wanted to be put down or sleep on their own. Discovered this thing and it's amazing! Not to mention light and super easy to carry everywhere.

I have a big list of things that make my life easier but those two are definitely my top favs.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • Options
    These are the only things that come to mind that were a lifesaver for our son:

1. Sound machine
    2. Baby swing
    3. Rock N Play

He hated pacifiers and being swaddled so we never used the swaddle blankets or sleep sacks with the wings. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    1. Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm is the ONLY thing that works on my son's diaper rashes (mainly from teething).

2. The My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow was awesome for breastfeeding! I thought it was more comfy and supportive than the Boppy.

3. Halo sleepsack swaddlers were awesome for swaddling because the Velcro kept everything tight and in place. I also love the Halo sleepsack blankets for kiddos who don't like swaddling or have outgrown it.

4. Gerber Graduates Fun Grips Soft Spout Trainer Cups. They don't leak, BPA free, cheap, and made in the USA. I get them on Amazon or Walmart.

5. Mambino Organics Nursing Balm a amazing stuff!! Lasts forever and only thing that got rid of a milk blister I had.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FTM here and I bought a notebook so I can write down all this gold!

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of what @AdventureMama had to say - My Breastfriend pillow is amazing! We never had a changing table because baby's room was small at our rental and honestly we just changed him on the bed/floor and it was easy. I finally joined a babywearing group on FB that's local with a lending library so I'm hoping to test out a Tula when baby comes - I just didn't know if it'd be worth it considering I won't be a SAHM so I will only be wearing them mostly on weekends and maybe a couple hours at night. 
  • Options
    @ashcody2 it will be worth. They also make 3 am walking and rocking a fussy baby so much easier as well as trips to the store or zoo.
  • Options
    AdventureMamaAdventureMama member
    edited September 2015
    @ashcody2: Still soooo worth it. Actually I own four Tulas plus three wraps and a RS (totally not necessary to have so many, haha) and rarely wear my toddler these days and still don't regret it. We had a few months where he wouldn't fall asleep at night without it, it's seriously amazing for grocery shopping and trips out, and worth it's weight in gold for what you can do around the house in the evenings during the witching hour when babies just fuss for no reason.

Eta clarity
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    @ashcody2 my ring sling holds up to 35 pounds so I still put my 2 year old in it to take her places a stroller isn't allowed/doesn't fit/etc. 
  • Options
    @AdventureMama - a toddler carrier would have been such a huge help if I had wore my son from the beginning. Taking him grocery shopping is a nightmare now and I will not do it, unless I absolutely have to! The kid will not sit in a cart at all and if I could just carry him, that'd be so much better but I highly doubt he would let me put him in one at this point since he's never been carried like that before!
  • Options
    @ashcody2: My son is the same way and if it makes you feel better, he doesn't want to be in the carrier most of the time either. And we've carried him a lot since the beginning. He lets us occasionally but not often. He's just too busy for it!
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options

The Baby K'tan baby carrier was my favorite carrier (I have several) until he outgrew it.  it works like a wrap carrier but is so simple and only takes seconds to put on.  It's like a double infinity-scarf that criss-crosses in the back.  It also folds up into it's own sash, so it fits great in the diaper bag.

For those of you that find that you make an overabundance of milk at night and are leaking all over the place, those puny disposable nursing pads don't work.  Instead, wear a tank or t-shirt that's tight-ish on top and fold up a receiving blanket and stuff it down there.  you'll look ridiculous, but you won't wake up in a sticky puddle.

For those thinking about cloth diapering:

I loved using cloth wipes when my baby was exclusively breastfed because I didn't have to separate out the wipe from the diaper before throwing them in the wetbag (breastmilk poop is water soluble and doesn't need to be scraped or sprayed before washing).  Once he went to solids, I had no patience for spraying those tiny pieces of fabric clean, so I switched to disposable wipes.  Plus, daycare preferred disposable wipes.

My fav newborn cloth diapers are Lil' Joeys by Rumparooz.  they are so soft and squishy and comfy on even the tiniest babies.  I couldn't resist buying a few more, in girly colors this time, for baby #2!

My fav one-size cloth diapers are a toss-up:
    1.  I love thirsties all-in-ones (they are technically a 2-size), although they take a long time to dry and stain easily - but they're crazy easy to use.  Their Velcro is the best, hands-down.  I've been using them for a year and a half and they're still as sticky as day 1.
    2.  I love Tots Bots.  You still have to stuff them, but the insert is sewn in and self-agitates out in the wash, so you just need to push it back in before folding.  They have minky colorful interiors which is great because the minky fabric repels poop so it's easier to spray or scrape off.  Because the interior is colorful, any stains that form are hidden by the pretty colors.  They also have great Velcro that definitely stands the test of time.
    3.  Bumgenius Freetimes.  There's a reason these are so popular.  Their Velcro isn't the best, so I own the snap version.  They dry super fast because of the way they're designed and they're very quick to fold.

Favorite nighttime cloth diapering solution:

I have a super heavy wetter at nighttime.  He pees through disposable nighttime diapers and regular daytime cloth diapers most of the time if he wears them at night.  Here's what I do for nighttime:  Bumgenius Flip organic tri-fold 6-layer prefold trifolded around a double hemp insert.  I stuff the whole shebang into a cheapo cover with leg gussets like econobum or little flower company diaper covers. Ironclad!

I also think the Aden and Anais swaddles are the best thing since sliced bread.  The breathable material made a great swaddle in warmer weather, they're lightweight enough to not take up a ton of room in the diaper bag, they make a great nursing cover because of their size and breathability, they're a great first blanket for the crib because they're breathable and less likely to suffocate baby, and my 2 year old still wraps up with them in the summertime for bed and naps because they're that big.

I definitely agree with the person who said you don't need to change your baby on the changing pad all the time.  We used the couch and floor a lot.  We bought some of those big square washable waterproof pads with the fabric layer on top.  They worked out great.  The fabric layer absorbed any errant liquids and the waterproof layer kept them from leaking through and ruining our couch.

• Options
    I second the nosa Freda nasal aspirator. My husband thought I was disgusting for buying it and I was so excited. Fast forward to having a 3 month old in the cold of winter, he was using it too. Awesome. We also loved the rock n play and any family member that has had a baby since us has started using it too and they wish they had it for their older kids. I exclusively breastfed the first 8 weeks until I went back to work, and my daughter had no trouble transitioning to tommee tippee bottles. If you choose these bottles, just make sure the vent hole on the nipple is not covered by baby's face so nipple doesn't collapse. If you choose to go the diaper pail route, the diaper champ is cheaper then the diaper genie. The diaper champ just takes trash bags and you flip the dirty diaper in as opposed to cramming it in, ew. And, my only 'advice' I can think of is, try to park next to a cart return when you shop. Easier when loading and unloading. Because when they are little, you never know when a poop explosion will happen, so it is best to have change of clothes, diaper, wipes, bottle, etc with you at all times, even for short shopping trips.
  • Options
    Here are some items I loved:
    1) nose Frieda and the bulbs from the hospital. They are the best!
    2) mamaroo
    3) portable vibrating chair
    4) A&A swaddle blankets and burp cloths
    5) lots of sleep n plays with zippers
    6) toys- Sophie, oball and eventually an entertainment mat for the floor.
  • Options
    Also loved our Dr. Browns bottles
  • Options
    @rachrobertson I'll have to check out the Diaper Champ. We have the Diaper Genie but got sick of buying the expensive bags.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    NoelBirdNoelBird member
    edited September 2015
    Wubbanub Pacifiers - It is easier for the baby to get these back in thier mouth before their coordination develops, also easier to not drop or loose. I had two and they lasted the entire time he used pacifiers.
    WubbaNub Brown Monkey
    Sound Machine - This was a life saver for baby and I, helps baby sleep but you can also put it in your room to block out all noise. When we would trade off in the middle of the night this allowed one of us to sleep well.

A&A blankets - I used these for everything, blanket, burp cloth, floor cover, changing pad etc. I never had problems with them staining even spilling prune juice on them didn't leave stains. 

Happiest Baby on the Block - The techniques to calming a newborn are very helpful, I even had my husband watch the DVD. It's also a good way to learn how to swaddle.

Washable Nursing Pads - These were much softer than the disposable ones, I bought a bag off Amazon and they came in a mesh laundry sack, I washed them every few days.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Feb 2016 Siggy Challenge, Favorite Thing About Fall
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone said these, but...

1. COCONUT OIL. Pretty much all over me during pregnancy, then on the nips during early breastfeeding to sooth and heal. All over baby to moisturize and protect skin after a bath, and on his bum when teething. And great for chapped lips, oil pulling, and sautéing shizz.

2. A good baby carrier (or two or three). We've cycled through lots but found a stretchy wrap or ring sling best for newborns, and then switched to a Boba 4G or standard Connecta at around 4 months. Then on to a toddler Connecta at 18 months.

3 Someone gave me a white noise machine that looks like a cuddly sheep - it's called a Sleep Sheep- and it is the absolute business. Can't recommend it highly enough. Can't imagine nap time or bedtime without it.
  • Options
    At the beginning I relied on a sound machine, blankets for swaddling and a swing/ chair/ bouncer.

We really liked our kick n play piano mat. Our son used it for such a long time.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, yeah, Happiest Baby on the Block and the 5S's! Seriously so useful. My H practiced swaddling a lot and he was SO good at it. Haha
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    Yes to the coconut oil for pretty much everything!

A&A muslin swaddle blanket are awesome but I found cheaper ones on amazon and they are just as nice for less than half the price. I just got 3 for $15 which is less than it would have cost to make them myself!

We loved our snugglenest and sleepy wrap.

Bamboobies are awesome reusable nursing pads.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• Options
    This is such a useful, amazing list! I wrote everything down. Thank you and keep 'em coming!! :)
  • Options
    I highly recommend Happiest Baby on the Block, too! It helped so much when our son was a newborn.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Can I just add that if you are going to get a pack n play, do not buy the biggest heaviest option out there (glares at husband). I HATE lugging it around. Yes it might be great quality but it is a beast. I wish he listened to me and got a Much cheaper and lighter option but no.
  • Options

Take anything the hospital will give you!! Especially pacifiers, they have the good ones.

I agree that the MyBrestFriend is better than Boppy. I have both...the MBF velcroes around you so it stays in place and you can stand up/walk around with it on and it stays. And it has a front pocket for your phone or remote.

Drag baby's RnP or bassinet into the bathroom when you shower! It's warm and the noise is nice and then you don't have to feel paranoid that they're crying. Longer showers= happy mama.

Flannel receiving blankets are great burp cloths.

Don't feel like you have to change your kid on the changing table. Do it on your bed, on the living room floor, whatever. You're going to get so fast at it and going all the way into the nursery every time is a waste of time.

^Related, have a little basket with baby stuff at least on each floor of the house, if not in every room. Diapers, wipes, cream, burp cloth, pacifiers, etc.

Get a baby carrier! Baby can get warm and snuggly with you but you have your hands free to clean or cook or surf FB :) I'd recommend a ring sling for a young baby, then a soft structured carrier (I like the Tula) for when they get older.

Edited because I meant snuggly not sniffly

I haven't seen the breastfriend pillow so I will check into that as I will need a new one!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just wanted to second some stuff everyone else said because I forgot how great they were

A&A blankets the best for swaddling, nursing cover and covering the baby in infant carrier...basically everything lol

I got a brand new breast friend pillow at a mom to mom sale and I loved it. That being said go to mom to mom sales you can find some great deals

Also agree disposable nursing pads are useless. I love the reusable organic ones because they're super soft, alittle larger, more absorbent, and you can reverse them if one side gets too damp.

Also this may just be my opinion but I totally regret getting a whole bedding set. You only need sheets and a crib skirt. I've never used the blanket because it's so heavy and not very soft and bumpers are a no no.
  • Options
    baya5 said:

Also this may just be my opinion but I totally regret getting a whole bedding set. You only need sheets and a crib skirt. I've never used the blanket because it's so heavy and not very soft and bumpers are a no no.

I agree with this. Best decision I ever made was to only buy crib sheets, I didn't even buy a skirt. I saved a ton of money and put it toward other things. Especially if your child doesn't even end up in their crib for the first few this.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our son in every US had his hands up near his face and he wanted them like that on the outside too, making swaddling impossible so we used the sleep sacks with out arms and they were perfect.

I second the nose Frieda, so gross and so awesome all in one.

There is an app called the wonder weeks and it's great for telling you what developmental stage kiddo is in and why they may be more fussy than usual due to a leap etc. We found it very true to age.

A mirror for the car so you can see baby while driving, helps for peace of mind and to know if they've lost the pacifier etc.

A generic diaper bag or buy a more "manly" one for hubby. I got a Skip Hop one that was fairly plain and hubby still refused to use it and went and purchased a Timbuktu one which I hate because it's huge.

• Options
    Just bumping this post because it is so awesome - I will be writing all of these down and adding them to my registry asap.

I'm a FTM but my SIL couldn't get my nephew to sleep in anything except the rock n play for the first six months thanks to stomach problems, seriously saved her. Also when they get bigger a bouncer that hooks onto the door molding - all of my nieces have used this (4 of them) and all of the parents LOVE it, keeps them entertained and you can monitor them easy but are hands free.
    Feb'16 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite thing about fall

Married 05/2014
    FTM

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am not going to second everything that everyone has said but i am going to say that the wonder weeks app as @Aussiechicka mentioned was wonderful.  It definitely helps explain some things.  

I also love tracking things, so my baby app was a god send.  I love the charts and everything it produces, plus it was nice for me to be able to tell the doctor actual numbers vs. me just guessing.  oh and it also helped when H would take a shift, then i would know what happened without having to question him about when baby ate last or had it's diaper changed.  
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• Options
    I'm going to go against the recommendation of the mirror in the car. I thought this was a good idea at first but it just made me focus on baby more than the road, which is not a good thing. If you see a car seat tech they will also tell you anything in the car is liable to injure baby during an accident, and that includes a mirror attached to the seat. (Granted I have stuffed animals for my daughter in the backseat, I'm not too much of a stickler)
  • Options
    My fav's are:

1. Footed onesies that ZIP not snap. So much nicer for middle of the night changes when you are half asleep. Avoid the snaps if at all possible, they are death! 

2. Bumbo seat (with the tray for when they are a little older) DS still loves his seat even though his fat little legs don't fit in the leg holes anymore

3. Mini fridge... Weird I know, but when DS was sleeping in our room in the Rock 'n Play it was so nice to be able to mix up his MOTN bottles and stick them in the mini fridge next to the bed so that all I had to do was roll over, grab one out and pick the baby up... no one had to leave the bed. It was super quick, and so nice!

4. Blooming bath! I loved giving DS baths in the kitchen sink. I am very tall and bending over the tub to bathe him was super uncomfortable. The Blooming Bath was amazing for keeping DS upright in the sink and super soft! After bath time you let it drain the the sink for about 30 min and pop it into the washing machine with your next load.... so easy and super cute!

5. A&A Swaddling blankets and dream blanket. So amazing! DS still uses the swaddling blankets in the summer when a bulky blanket is just too much heat!

View Full Size Image

Pregnancy Ticker

Losses:
     7/16/2014 @ 7 Weeks 2 days
     2/01/2015 @ 4 Weeks 4 days

• Options
    @SoSweetTea1124 I second the zipper PJs! So much easier and faster than button PJs! I'll never go back lol.
    BabyFetus Ticker