April 2016 Moms

Phantom Smells

Today I could have swore someone burned a pot of coffee. The closest pot is on th opposite side of the office from my desk and pre pregnancy I couldn't smell it. I have a lso febreezed the crap out of my house because I swear it smells luke someone is grilling raw meat nonstop.

I almost started crying because all I wanted to do was get sick. I hate hormones.

Re: Phantom Smells

• Last week I was walking down a long staff hallway and then I swore I smelled a whole lot of fresh cucumbers. I loved the smell, but it wasn't around the lunch hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• My co-worker made ravioli in the kitchen... 3 hallways away. Smelled it and got sick.

Pregnancy nose is real! I've found dumping baking soda in the trash can and down the drain helps with those phantom smells at home :)
  • Loading the player...
  • The intense smells are mindboggling to me.  There are a lot that normally I wouldn't mind or that I would even love, but right now just turn my stomach.  I have resorted to putting lotion (a scent that I like) under my nose and on my hands that can quickly clear the unappealing smells.

• During my 1st preg, every scent sent me off. Someone then recommended trying to wear a scented lip balm to take the odor down a notch. I found sharp minty and citrus smells to do the trick. It didn't eliminate the smells completely, but it took the edge off.
    Married 9/17/11 BFP 10/5/13 DS Oliver Stephen born 6/11/14 via C-section 8 lbs 9 oz BFP 8/14/15
  • DH always smells like sweat to me lately, even when he has just come out of the shower and put on clean clothes. I'm just doing my best to deal with it. 
      BabyFruit Ticker      image 
  • cucumbers in bed last night...rotten potato in the hallway this morning.  The potato smell was the worst this morning...I couldn't figure out where it could possibly be coming from!!
    I'm always smelling mildew when I'm pregnant.  It's happened with all of them, but was the very worst with my fourth.  I went through bleach like you wouldn't believe: in the laundry, on the walls, down the drains.  I'm pretty sure I ruined a lot of things because the weren't supposed to be bleached.  I knew that, and I just couldn't stop!

• I didn't deal with this with Dd. I have a new found respect for those with sensitivities to smells/perfumes.
  • My last pregnancy i smelled the spice cabinet from anywhere in my house. It made me so sick. I barely left my room. I had my SO empty out the cabinet. But, no matter how much I cleaned I still smelled it. Hoping it doesn't get this bad with this pregnancy.
  • I smell EVERYTHING! Who knew walls had a smell and I'm confident my husband must roll in garlic every day.
  • DH's morning coffee breath! :-& I have been insisting he have a mint right afterwards or I can't be near him!
  • My SO dips snuff and it use to not bother me but now he is trying different snuffs to see which one is not as bad for me.... But I smell everything and everything makes me sick..
  • We have an entire thing of milk I refuse to drink bc it has a weird smell. Only, the smell only exists to me. DH confirmed that it smells and tastes perfectly normal before my kids drank it. But I just can't do it. Now I really want milk but can't justify buying MORE milk just for me. Blah. 

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• I cannot open the fridge. It reeks of rotting garlic to me. My husband insists it doesn't smell. Even if he opens it, I can smell it wafting to the opposite side of the house. I even made him clean it out and it still smells. Yuck!!! Also, I ventured into Walgreens earlier today and it stunk in there.....like rotting grapefruit. I even said something to another shopper and she didn't smell a thing. I'm noticing a trend here, everything that sets me off smells moldy, dingy or rotten. Last week, I was pulling old charts from the filing cabinet at work and the smell of the charts set me off. They smelled moldy and dusty to me. Really??!!
  • There's a smell in my bedroom that I cannot identify... It's just, weird. DH can't smell anything. It's almost like a mix between old bug spray, paint, and greasy hair. We vacuum and change the bedsheets frequently. It's unsettling.
  • Oh my goodness, the smells!  I actually just smelled my peppermint gum today because it made all the terrible smells go away.
  • Nothing smells or tastes right to me. It's really irritating. Does this to pass in the 2nd tri ??
  • The girl in the cube next to mine wears perfume that smells exactly like bug spray :( It never bothered me before but it's just been awful lately.
  • metz0421 said:
    Nothing smells or tastes right to me. It's really irritating. Does this to pass in the 2nd tri ??
    @metz0421 it did get BETTER for me in second tri but didn't go away completely (my last pregnancy). I literally couldn't open the refrigerator without gagging in the beginning. I could still smell weird things in second tri, but it didn't make me ill like it did at first.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I can smell toilet water in our master bath while laying in bed! I make hubby close the door every night. Also- my fourth grade students are smelling funky, especially after PE. I seriously spray them with body splash sometimes.
  • I feel like I am a hound dog! Haha I can smell everything and long before anyone else can.... Not exactly a good thing though. I often open the fridge which triggers instant run to the sink to vomit...
  • Omg same here. I have obsessively been cleaning the carpet in our bedroom. I swear it smells like dog pee and poo. I love my dog so much but I can't tolerate the dog smell right now! I'm obsessed with getting this smell out of the room. And febreeze and plug ins make me sick too.
  • teatea1 said:

Omg same here. I have obsessively been cleaning the carpet in our bedroom. I swear it smells like dog pee and poo. I love my dog so much but I can't tolerate the dog smell right now! I'm obsessed with getting this smell out of the room. And febreeze and plug ins make me sick too.

Same here! Plus in the basement, it had an added mildew-y smell from the humidity. Ick!! DH couldn't smell a thing, of course.

I sprinkled baking soda on the carpet, let it sit overnight, and then vacuumed the next morning. It helped the smell for almost two weeks! I'm planning on doing it again tonight. If you can stomach it, try cutting an onion in half and leaving it in the smelliest room. That really helped downstairs, too.
  • While on vacation at about 6 weeks I smelled okra several times ( there's no way okra was everywhere) I can't stand garlic or onions, someone at work smelled like bug spray. Glad to know it's not a brain tumor ;)
  • Believe it or not, I couldn't deal with the smell of my own deodorant while it was on me. I've had to use unscented deodorant, soap, lotion and detergent. I told my daughter she'll have to stop wearing perfume and the same for my husband.
  • I can hardly keep up with laundry because I'm washing everything all the time. Hallway carpets, carpet at the entrance, bedding, duvets, bath towels... Last night things smelled like spicy spaghetti sauce. So gross. I almost wiped down the entire couch. I kept sniffing my clothes thinking it was me. Hubby is now used to me doing regular sniff checks on him. I've made an appointment for my dog to get groomed. It's all driving me nuts !