Help — The Bump
Dads & Dads-to-be

Help

edited August 2015 in Dads & Dads-to-be
Husband is not excited about having the baby at all. He goes back and forth all the time about it. I'm 31 weeks on Tuesday and not sure what to do or say. Anyone else been through this?

Re: Help

• Pregnancy is an alien experience for a guy.  You get to experience it all first hand (for better or worse when it comes to certain things I'm sure), he is a spectator throughout the whole time.  Sure, he may feel the baby kick through your belly or help shop for baby stuff, but right now he's on the sidelines.  He's probably concerned about whether or not he'll be a good dad, etc.  Fairly typical stuff, I can't say that I really went through it about not being excited, but I do know it happens.  Once he can get "hands on" he *should* bond with his child any reservation hopefully will go flying out the window.

• Husband is not excited about having the baby at all. He goes back and forth all the time about it. I'm 31 weeks on Tuesday and not sure what to do or say. Anyone else been through this?

it took me 3 or 4 months AFTER the kid was born to even start coming around.  I hated our son for a while because of my own issues but now he is four and he is my best friend in the whole world.

Remember, he will only become a dad when he first holds his kid.  That's when he STARTS being a dad.... it's going to take some time.

knottied3e40257a737a841