December 2015 Moms
Options

Work Stress...

While I'm not very active on this board (and it's my first time posting), many of you may already know that I'm an ultrasound tech at an OB/GYN office. I've been out of school and working since last December. Well, just last Thursday, the woman who has trained/mentored me (and is like a second mother to me) had a stroke. They later determined it was due to a brain tumor. She's having surgery tomorrow. I'm now the only ultrasound tech in my office, and have a booked schedule (sometimes double booked) from here on out. I'm worried about my coworker and at the same time worry about myself. All this stress cannot be good for baby--especially since I already have high blood pressure. Which brings me to my next worry. I'm considered a high risk pregnancy and will need to be scanned (with ultrasound) once a week after I hit 32 weeks (which is only 5 weeks away). My work is already talking about either hiring a new tech or bringing in a travel/temporary tech, but I don't anticipate that happening anytime soon. What if my son can't get the care that he needs because there is nobody to scan him? I just need to get this off my chest to some ladies who understand what I'm going through. Prayers for my coworker would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Re: Work Stress...

• Options
    I'm so sorry about your co-worker! Is there any way you can go to another office that has someone who can scan you? You don't need this kind of stress for sure! Just do you best, you're only one person. You and your baby are #1... If you can't do it all, which is sounds nearly impossible to do, your office needs to bring someone else in to help.
  • Options
    @navyblueladybug thank you! I live in a rural community. So the closest OB office is an hour away. I cannot afford to take off that much time from work and drive that far every week. I'll just have to hope and pray that the HR department for my hospital can be fast for once and bring in somebody else soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sheeesh that is a lot. I hope your coworker has a great surgery and speedy recovery. I also hope they do get you the support you need at work and that you get the prenatal care you need as well. 
  • Options
    I am so sorry about your mentor and that you are having to face this stress. Have you brought up your concerns with your office manager? They might not have even thought about the fact that you can't do your own scans yet if it hasn't come up. Next time the idea of a temp or new employee comes up in conversation, just casually mention it. If it doesn't come up, I would bring it up with your manager a couple weeks before you need your next scan. Good luck!