May 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone breastfeeding while pregnant?

DS is nearly 17 months old and I've recently weaned him down to just twice per day. I initially wanted to let him keep going until he didn't want to anymore, but the past few days I've gotten cramps while he nurses. I'm trying to decide whether to keep going or try to wean further. Is anyone else in a similar situation for this pregnancy? Or have you navigated the to-nurse-or-not-to-nurse question in a previous pregnancy?

Re: Anyone breastfeeding while pregnant?

• Options
    I am breastfeeding my 14 month old DS. I checked with a physician in my OB practice, and he said it was just fine to continue nursing. I haven't had any cramping, but would probably mention it to my OB/midwife and see what their recommendation is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic TTC since 4/12 BFP #1 11/15/12, MC/possible ectopic 11/20, natural MC BFP #2 1/15/13, ectopic discovered 2/15, surgery, R tube removed
  • Options
    No personal experience, but my cousin BF her daughter while pregnant with twins. Many women do this. I'm sure it's recommended to eat extra calories, but this is totally fine and normal.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes my son just turned one. I'm going to give him a couple more months I'm hoping my milk will change and he will stop on his own. This baby will be my 5th and I've always exclusively breastfed.
  • Options
    Thanks for the shared experiences! I'm thinking that I'll let him at least continue evening session until he self weans, but I'll try to keep it shorter. The cramping seems to be more pronounced when he takes a while. I'll plan to ask my OB when I call to make my first appointment as well.
  • Options
    I'm still breastfeeding. My son is currently 11 months. Ill at least go to his birthday and slowly start to wean him after that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC Since April 09
    6 Rounds of Clomid & 4 Rounds Femara
    IVF#1 April 2012 ER- 4/9/12 ET- 4/14-12 Beta#1(4/27):160 Beta#2 4/30: 484
  • Options
    Glad you posted this I was wondering the same. DS is 16 months and not showing signs of weaning. We Still nurse to sleep every night, mornings, nap time, and any other time he "insists" during the day.

Did you ask your doctor about the cramps?

I'm hoping he'll self-wean once my supply starts to drop/change, but something tells me he may just be content to dry nurse--and I'm really not into forcing the issue unless it's medically necessary.

Also not sure how tandem nursing would go if he never weaned. I just imagine being so touched out...

Off BC since 9/10;TTC since 7/11
    Me: 31 DH: 31
    DX: PCOS/anovulatory/Hypothyroid
    SA: normal
    HSG: all clear
    5 cycles of Clomid/Femara + TI
    IUI #1 (7/16/12) Femara 2.5,+ Trigger=BFN
    Treatment break Aug. 2012-June 2013
    IUI #2 (7/27/13)=BFP!!!
    Beta #1 @ 13dpiui --145!
    Beta #2 @ 19dpiui--2,550!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    NebFNebF member
    I still nurse my 2 1/2 year old every now and then. He cut down a ton a few months ago. I know lots of mommas that have nursed throughout their pregnancies and went on to tandem nurse both of their children. It is safe. Cramping in early pregnancy is normally no cause for concern. Sex makes me cramp like crazy! With my son I had an irritable uterus and began having regular contractions at 17 weeks. I delivered at 38. I would say it is safe to continue nursing your little one, but if it becomes too uncomfortable there's no shame is cutting down even more. Happy momma, happy babies. :)
  • Options
    Yep, I nurse my 17 month old on demand currently. When I was pregnant with her, my first daughter nursed up until I was about 20/25 weeks along.
  • Options
    Great topic!
    I have been exclusively pumping for awhile now. I cut down to two pumps a day a couple months back. I knew my supply would decrease after getting pregnant, but I assumed it would happen further along...nope, 1/3 of my supply has diminished already. I was planning on continuing to pump twice a day throughout my pregnancy, but now I am worried I wont be able to keep my supply up. I haven't ever really had an issue with my supply, but I have tried supplements to try to increase it and it never seemed to make a difference. I am currently down to 14 ounces a day and I am worried about it continuing to drop.
    I am not ready for DD to stop drinking BM.
    Plus, I was kind of hoping Breastfeeding would go smoother this time if my nipples were already used to the constant tug and pull.

Any other's out that with experience to share would help.

imageimage 

http://media.thedailytouch.com/2013/08/lets-do-this-ucas-gif.gif

• Options
    mhc13mhc13 member
    edited September 2015
    The cramping would probably make me nervous.  I hope it's nothing.  I breast fed my daughter with the pregnancy I lost at 6 weeks in Feb.and never experienced any cramping.  I finally weaned her last month when she was 19 months.  Glad to have done so before sore nipples kick in (if my experience is the same as last time).
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• Options
    I have been pregnant or breastfeeding or both for ten years, two months. I only made one attempt at tandem nursing and it was really just the most awful experience for me. I do fine about halfway through the pregnancy, and then nursing becomes something that makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. When I was nursing my second and pregnant with my third, I was insanely hippie/crunchy, and I powered through the crawling skin because I was so determined to let her self wean. When the new baby came along, I hated both of them when they were nursing. It was awful. I quickly realized I was being ridiculous, weaned my older kid, and all of a sudden I loved nursing my new baby... But I missed out on the first month of nursing bliss because I listened to the crunchier than thou moms instead of to myself.
    Anyway, that was a really long way of saying that as long as it's still enjoyable for the both of you, and your Dr has no problem with it, keep it up! If it's not enjoyable, give it up, because it will probably not get better. And it's ok to feel sad about giving it up, as long as you don't beat yourself up over it. I'm a little sad that I'll be weaning my son soon, and he's 2.5.
  • Options

Yes my son just turned one. I'm going to give him a couple more months I'm hoping my milk will change and he will stop on his own. This baby will be my 5th and I've always exclusively breastfed.

This! My son is almost 14 months, and I am hoping the milk changes and he self weans.
  • Options
    Ok I'm 6 weeks preggo! This is my fifth child but I've never had to nurse while pregnant! My daughter is 13 mos! She's only nursing at bed time and sometimes during the night! My doctor wants me to wean her immediately! I don't feel it's the right thing! She's not ready and neither am I! I've never had high risk pregnancies or pre term delivery! Anyone else experience doctor telling them to quit??
  • Options
    Nope, my doctor said that as long as there are no problems, we can keep going. I did wean DS to just one before-bed session though; he was starting to get inconsistent with the morning one, so we just dropped it. At this point, cramping that I was having earlier has resolved so I plan to let him *hopefully* self wean partway through this pregnancy.
  • Options
    Anyone have a toddler pick up more nursing sessions again? DS had gone down to one, occasionally two, but this weekend he's not feeling 100% and keeps asking for mama baba. I let him go to three sessions, but I don't want to increase too much and spike prolactin production (and decrease progesterone). I also want to help him feel better though if he feels icky. Any advice or insight?
  • Options
    I'm currently still nursing my 14 month old full time. She shows absolutely no interest in weaning, but I wouldn't mind cutting out a few sessions. I'm still really early but I'm sure once the sore boobs kick in it won't be quite as enjoyable to nurse her. I'm also over the middle of the night nursing but haven't completely stopped that yet either. Soon. Maybe :)

imageimage

• Options
    Yes! I am still nursing my 19 month old son and am 4 weeks pregnant. Kudos to all of you. Such an enjoyable time. My son nurses anywhere from 2-3 times per day. I am probably going
  • Options
    Going to let him wean when he would like, but like many others hopefully he starts soon!! (Sorry about post finishing in reply it cut me off).
  • Options
    I swear my 21 month old is nursing more now that I am pregnant. And I am so nauseas, I don't want to be touched, and I am also not eating nearly enough. I am exhausted! And my boobs hurt! Lol but I love him and I am going to miss our special nursing moments when they are over. I'm hoping he weans by himself, but if not I think I'm going to try around his 2nd birthday to slowly wean him. And OP I also have cramps while he nurses as well. :(
  • Options
    I think DS is finally self-weaning. He had been nursing more the past few weeks, then got back down to once before bed only, now all  this week, he has asked for mama baba like it's a joke, and hasn't actually nursed. He just gives me a hug and pulls my shirt back down over the breast again. Honestly, if he gives it up this easily now, it'll be great; I really thought we were in for a big battle in a few months based on how upset he was when I had to cut him back to just evenings/weekends in late August. It has me wondering if my supply is sapped/changing so maybe he doesn't want it anymore? Anyone else have a toddler who is self-weaning?
  • Options
    My 19 month old is less interested in nursing during the day. Unfortunately he is MORE interested in nursing at night. :( I'm about ready to be done but am having a hard time figuring out how to make that happen. Glad it's going well for you though!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Thanks! I'm not sure what you've tried, or considered trying, but I'll share what I did for night weaning in case it may help. He is very stubborn, but at 16/17 months, this approach worked: 

I did a modified version of the Jay Gordon approach. I set aside 6 hours overnight where there would be no nursing (I chose 11-5), but he could have a sippy cup of water and I made sure to wear a t-shirt to bed to limit access. I prepped him for it during the last nursing session by reminding him it would be off limits because Mama would be making more milk for later. The first few nights he was angry at first (yelling, kicking, crying...the works), but after about 10-15 minutes, he accepted cuddles and water to get back to sleep. I started calling bedtime and naptime sippys cuddle-cups and tried to cuddle him similarly to how I hold him when he breastfeeds. I think he was happy to know I wasn't going to just drop a drink off with him. Then, for about a week the rules changed again: he had to go to sleep before he could get a second /third/etc. nursing session. He could still only nurse until 11:00pm and after 5:00am. (Aka, no staying up and prolonging bedtime by deciding to nurse, then play/toss and turn and nurse again.) After that, we got down to just a bedtime and a morning wake-up session. He dropped the wake-up on his own a few weeks later. 

Things got a little screwy when he had a stomach virus, because I let him pick up unlimited sessions again to be sure he was hydrated since he was so averse to pedialite over night. Once he was better, I did the same technique over again to wean him back down.
  • Options
    I have a 7 month old an still only breastfeeding she has no interest in good at all and currently 9 wks 5 days pregnant. Plan on bf her until new babe is here then stopping with her
  • Options
    In my previous pregnancy, I nursed while pregnant. I got cramps, but I associated that as normal, as breastfeeding helps shrink the uterus. I continued into my eighth month of pregnancy and then weaned the baby from feeding to prepare for the next baby. Just make sure to get plenty of fluids and calories. 
    JCrew Blog

Big brother was born August 24, 2011.
    Little brother was born October 1, 2012.
    Brother #3 due 5/4/16; born 5/2/16.

• Options
    Thanks @kbrands7 ! I had read about that approach and really like it. I'm also trying to get him into his own crib, so I thought I would focus on that, and then once he was used to sleeping alone, I'd start cutting out sessions that way. I'm just so tired and doing all this is work and keeps me awake, but I know consistency is key.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker