April 2016 Moms
Options

Weight gain?

Hello ladies,
First time mom here. I'm feeling down. I gained several pounds on my honeymoon before I conceived and turns out we are pregnant a month later. I feel so badly about myself and know I can't lose weight at this point because of our baby. Any suggestions for maintaining a healthy weight and boosting confidence? I've already gained 3 additional pounds and I'm only 7 weeks :-(

Re: Weight gain?

• Options
    I use a calorie tracker app and eat clean - processed foods can add to water retention and bloat (which is really all that's is happening weight wise right now since baby is so tiny). My sister was 40 lbs overweight when she conceived and by eating healthy and monitoring intake she actually ended her pregnancy below her pre pregnancy weight. It can be done! I would just focus on food and nutrition and make sure you have filling healthy snacks on had for those random hungry moments. I have found they cut down on bad food choices due to hitting that must eat now hunger level.
  • Options
    How many calories is healthy to eat to maintain ? @Jlnitti80
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jlnitti80Jlnitti80 member
    edited August 2015
    Depends upon your height and weight. I have had good results with myfitnesspal. You can probably also ask your doctor for guidance too. I've moved my intake to between 1500 to 1800 calories per day because I'm fairly sedentary at work. Weekends I tend to be more active so it will change a bit. The nice thing about myfitnesspal is that it adjusts your allowed intake based upon measured or recorded activity. So, if I have a day where I walk more than my average five miles it will adjust my allowed intake upwards to accounts for the exercise.
    My daily intake isn't 2000 calories due to my height and prior weight and that number is a guideline but not always the average for everyone. I would for sure check with your doctor or nurse before changing your calorie intake.
  • Options
    Oh and it also accounts for the nutrition in the foods that you do eat so you can monitor sugars, cards, fats, etc
  • Options
    If you're dealing with bloat I wouldn't worry too much about a few pounds right now, your weight will fluctuate a bit because of that. Don't treat yourself like you're "eating for 2" and focus on eating healthy food choices. Staying active is also important, even if that just means getting some regular walking time in.
  • Options
    @Jlnitti80 you walk five miles a day but that's not active?! Eating 1500 calories a day while walking 5 mikes a day while pregnant is probably not sufficient unless I am misreading your post.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Also, keep in mind that it will be a lot easier to eat healthy in the coming months when you aren't dealing with as much nausea.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I do the gym pretty regularly, but tracking calories is really the only way I have ever been able to maintain my weight. I use MyPlate currently, but I did Calorie Count back in the day and had really good luck with it. And as @Jlnitti80 pointed out, most trackers will let you log your fitness/activities and then adjust your allotted number of calories.
  • Options
    @pinottoparenthood I have a Fitbit. 1500 is my maintenance on work days. The Fitbit tracks my walking and mileage and then adjusts the calorie amount which is why my span was 1500 to 1800. Since I've been over weight previously 2000 calories will never be my maintenance level again as weight loss changes your metabolism. Everyone is different which is why it's important to talk to your Dr about nutrition. What works for me might not be sufficient for another.
  • Options
    Agree that everyone is different, and if you are working with your doctor, that's great!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy I gained more weight in my first tri than I did in my second tri. I'm trying to be better this time but a lot of it was because I ate crackers and bread to help settle my stomach. I normally don't eat any breads or pastas when I'm not pregnant. Hang in there - it will be ok :)
    <image>
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy I gained more weight in my first tri than I did in my second tri. I'm trying to be better this time but a lot of it was because I ate crackers and bread to help settle my stomach. I normally don't eat any breads or pastas when I'm not pregnant. Hang in there - it will be ok :)
    This is me, too. I have gained 5 lbs in the past few weeks from just grazing SO MUCH, especially on carbs... but I don't even care because I cannot function if I feel like puking constantly, and eating all day is the only thing that makes me feel better. For me the weight gain slowed down somewhat during second tri and I even ended up losing some weight during third tri because it's hard to eat much with a huge baby inside!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    I have a fit bit and walk 10+ miles a day as a mail carrier. My calorie consumption to maintain needs to be around 2500/3000 calories a day which I have seriously had a hard time maintaining I keep falling below that bc of nausea ... even with this said I have still gained almost 8lbs and I am 9 weeks..

I would focus less on the scale number (not saying ignore it entirely) and more on eating many multiple meals a day and being HEALTHY that is what is important for you and your baby right now.
  • Options
    Just wanted to hop in here and share my experience.  I'm a really petite person and in order to maintain my weight I eat just about 1500 calories a day.  I've never been overweight, I'm just small.  I asked my doctor about calorie/macronutrient goals and she told me that during the first trimester you shouldn't really be adding 0-100 extra calories per day.  In the second trimester you should add 200 calories and in the third trimester you should add 300 calories.  Obviously these are just general guidelines since everybody's different.

I've been tracking my caloric intake and physical activity for years, so it's been natural for me to continue now that I'm pregnant.  I've gained a couple of pounds despite eating well and being active, but I know it's all just fluid retention.  My point is, don't stress the scale too much.  I've been good about eating well (no morning sickness which definitely makes it easier--hat's off to you ladies who have to deal with the all day nausea) and the scale has still ticked up.  I agree with pp--focus on making healthy choices when you can (for some women it might be easier in the second tri when ms has let up) and cut yourself some slack.  :) 
  • Options
    This is my third baby. I work out almost every day and did throughout both pregnancies. Prepregnancy I am slightly underweight. I didn't eat that differently and still gained 40+ pounds each time. It's just what my body does. Don't stress if the same happens to you. I tortured myself the first time around and really regret it. As long as you stay healthy ignore the scale!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image