March 2016 Moms
Options

anemia

mimi5276mimi5276 member
edited August 2015 in March 2016 Moms
What to eat if you're anemic ?

Answers

• Options
    Iron rich food, chicken, fish (low mercury type), beans, and my favorite... Iron fortified cereal!! :)

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options
    You can find all sorts of iron-rich foods by googling . . . there are plenty and hopefully something appeals! :) Personally, I'm an egg-eating fiend during pregnancy because it keeps me from throwing up in the morning AND it keeps my iron levels up. I was quite anemic with my first pregnancy, but have had no anemia since. During my first pregnancy I took a liquid supplement called Floradix which was a little gross, but very effective.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Spinach and kale are good ones too. although the iron from meat is more easily absorbed. one thing to make sure with iron intake is make sure you are getting enough vitamin c which is what iron needs to absorb. this is why a lot of woman with iron deficiency anemia crave tomato.

September march16 siggy Challenge
  • Options
    I am so iron deficient I have to get infusions. So I've done it all. Iron pills change In diet, etc. unfortunately it doesn't help me get nearly close to a normal ferritin level but like the ladies said. A simple google search will give lots of ideas. I love adding spinach to smoothies. Beans, red meat, fish are all good options for iron.
    HarLynn's mama
  • Options
    Stay away from caffeine and drinking too much milk can make it low too.
  • Options
    My last pregnancy I had to take an iron supplement on top of the prenatal I was taking. It helped a lot. 
    imageimage

• Options
    Are you suffering from low iron or do you have anemia or thalassemia? I have thalassemia and my dr tried to prescribe iron supplements. My body rejects them so I can only absorb through foods. Be cautious of not over doing your iron intake because you may not be able to handle it. Everything in moderation.