Infertility

Introduction

My husband and I are 30. We have been together over 10 years and married 5. At 27 we had the talk and decided we were ready to have a baby. I had an annual gyno appt 11 months after we started trying. At this point we didn't really think anything could be wrong even though we were using ovulation kits each month. The doc busted out an infertility folder and started talking about IUI, IVF and all kinds of things I had never heard of and was not prepared for. I was shocked. I went out to my car and cried my eyes out. We started testing by my husband having a semen analysis. It came back normal. So we thought the issue was me. My heart was broken. We waited a few months to do HSG until a new insurance year started (I wish we had never waited!). The HSG showed no issues or blockages. My hormone bloodwork came back normal. So I thought we were going to be one of the couples with unexplained infertility. My doctor then called and informed me that they took another look at the semen analysis from months earlier. A mistake was made when they initially reviewed its results. Results showed 0% morphology and low motility. We were so upset at this mistake! I felt a new kind of heartbreak at what my husband must be feeling. We had a 2nd analysis and it came back with the same results. Off to the urologist we went. Physical exam showed no concerns. Then my husband had blood work done. He has extremely low testosterone even though he shows no symptoms. He started clomid this month. He will have monthly blood work and another semen analysis in 3 months. For now we continue to use ovulation kits and hope we can get pregnant. That's all we can do until we see how the clomid is working and we can take the next steps, whatever they may be.

Re: Introduction

• Hi @Soverthis welcome to the group! I'm sorry you have to be here but you're in good company. I'm new too and have learned a lot from the other women. Fertility can be such a rollercoaster of emotions. My husband and I have a similar story. We started TTC about a year ago. Six months in we started getting tested - FSH, LH, HSG, semen analysis, etc. Everything came back normal. I went into my doctor's office for a routine checkup when they informed me that the HSG exam I had three months prior was actually not normal. My tubes are slightly wider at the ends which causes a motility issue. That was a rough few days. I cried my eyes out and woke up every morning with a pit in my stomach. I'm now starting my first round of IVF, which I never thought I'd be going through. But, I've come to realize that it doesn't matter how I get to my end goal as long as I get there.

Good luck to you! Wishing you all the best.
    Me: 33 | DH: 35
    DX: Dilated fallopian tubes 
    10/05: First IVF ET | Transferred 1 blast 
    Beta: October 19th | BFP!
  • Thank you! Good luck to you with IVF. It's so easy to become so frustrated with the right now and forget the longterm goal. It's definitely a Rollercoaster ride of emotions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey @Soverthis ! Sorry that you have to join this group and that you had such a rough start to your journey with a major mess up with your diagnosis. I wanted to give you some hope- my husband was started on clomid for low morphology and #s, his recheck showed everything improved, went from 4 to 17 million, the docs are still recommending ICSI for our IVF cycle, but it really did help! Hope that you guys get similar response!

******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
    MFI (low #, poor morphology)
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
    1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
    2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
    8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17
  • @Soverthis welcome but also sorry you have to be here. And I'm sorry about the test results. A lot of us are here on the same journey. And that's just what it is...a journey. Eventually all of us will get pregnant but sometimes it takes a lot of time and tears. I'm on my second iui. The first one did t work. Hang in there and be patient. :-)
  • Thank you! Good luck on your next iui.
  • Hello everyone, My husband are I want to expand our family. He's about to turn 29 and I'm 25 I've dreamed of becoming a mother for years now. Pretty much everyone we know has a child or children. I never realized how lonely this process is and how so many women and couples are going through the ttc process. We do have different views about children his attitude is more if it happens it happens. I'm more like I would like to try and put more effort into it. I'm hoping my dreams can come true one day and I can become a mommy. Baby dust to everyone that's ttc may your dreams come true
  • Ttc4babyharris are you experiencing infertility? When we first started trying my husband was the same way. As the months passed and things were not happening and now that we know we have a medically reason to why we are not conceiving his feelings have really changed. I think it's easy at first to think if it happens it happens. Until it doesn't and doesn't and doesn't. He does everything he can to get us pg. I never thouht he would take medication to try to increase his sperm count. I left that decision up to him since it is his body. I wanted a baby first and was the one to bring it up. Now we both just cannot wait to get to meet our baby someday. That's how it is for us at least. When we first started trying and getting frustrated we had a lot of discussions about how we need to listen to and support each other. Also about how we need to get on the same page. Infertility is so lonely and heart breaking. I could not get through without him. I went to a support group and found it really helpful too. Good luck to you and your hubs. I hope you get a positive test soon.