Health & Exercise

Chemical hair relaxer

Hi Ladies!

This seemed like the best post to pose my question! I have found mixed reviews on the web and forgot to ask my OB about it at my last appointment. This is my second pregnancy. With my first I did not chemically relax my hair. This time a round, I would like to (I normally do when not pregnant).

Does anyone have any reliable info about the hazards of doing so? Has anyone relaxed their hair while pregnant? I ready a lot about hair color and making sure venilation is good... Additional info appreciated!

xposted

Re: Chemical hair relaxer

• Oh you know what I have been grappling with this my whole pregnancy! I usually japanese straighten my hair. Google makes me very nervous when you read what the potential risks are. I did ask my OB and she said that it is true that whatever you put on your scalp does go to the baby. There is no conclusive evidence saying that it is or is not safe. She said it is PROBABLY fine but since there is no research saying so, she has to recommend that I do not do it. I honestly don't think it is that bad if you just do it once during your  pregnancy but that being said, I have decided not to do it. For now, my plan is to look like a wildebeast banshee with my natural hair and just survive until after I have the baby.
  • I know with my first I just made sure not to relax during the first trimester just to be safe. Then I relaxed my hair as few times as needed during the rest of my pregnancy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My dr said keratin was fine after 1st trimester.
  • wcm2b said:
    Oh you know what I have been grappling with this my whole pregnancy! I usually japanese straighten my hair. Google makes me very nervous when you read what the potential risks are. I did ask my OB and she said that it is true that whatever you put on your scalp does go to the baby. There is no conclusive evidence saying that it is or is not safe. She said it is PROBABLY fine but since there is no research saying so, she has to recommend that I do not do it. I honestly don't think it is that bad if you just do it once during your  pregnancy but that being said, I have decided not to do it. For now, my plan is to look like a wildebeast banshee with my natural hair and just survive until after I have the baby.
    My OB gave me a very similar answer. There doesn't seem to be any evidence to prove that it isn't safe, but we both agreed it was a better safe than sorry situation. So I've also decided against it. I'm erring on the side of caution and sticking to natural hair care products until I stop breast feeding. I have really thick, curly hair so I've just been doubling down on conditioners and hoping for the best XD. My SIL turned me on to Instanatural's hair care products and I've been using their Argan Oil treatment for a few months now: https://instanatural.com/collections/body-hair/products/argan-oil-hair-treatment