April 2016 Moms

Update: measuring 6 weeks, thought I was 8 weeks

cmar1006cmar1006 member
edited September 2015 in April 2016 Moms
I used an app to track my cycle and kept track of days DH and I were intimate. Based on my LMP I would be 8 weeks 2 days. And this would also line up with the days DH and I were intimate. However I had a sonogram done yesterday and they measured me at 6 weeks.

I am so concerned about this, but trying to put it our of my mind. But based on this new measurement, I would have gotten my BFP at 10 days pregnant. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I know there is alway the possibility of late implantation, but 2 whole weeks? And I know I could have ovulated late, but based on dates that DH and I were intimate it doesn't line up.

The only reassurance that I have is seeing the beautiful flicker of a heartbeat on the sonogram. So I know it's a viable pregnancy. I am just perplexed and wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

UPDATE: my OB called me on Wednesday and was less than reassuring. I've been trying to not stress out too much, but she asked me to come in to have my betas done tomorrow and then again later in the week. I am hoping and praying that all my levels look well and everything is just normal.

It's so hard to not worry when things don't go smoothly. Any t&p's would be so appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

UPDATE 2: After getting my beta results back on Tuesday and them telling me they were at 33 I wasn't optimistic at all. So today when I went in for my appointment I wasn't expecting good news. Had my blood drawn again and had ultrasound done. The doctor definitely saw growth and could see faint heart activity, but said her machine wasn't the best, so she's sending me to the hospital again for another ultrasound in the radiology. She said she's optimistic because my levels are so high to which I was stunned. I said I thought they were 33, and she said they were 33,000! I guess the receptionist didn't realize that 33K was 33,000. Oh my goodness, to say I was relieved is a major understatement.

My dating is still off, but hopefully when I go to the hospital next week I will have more information.

Fun fact... don't really know how this affects everything, but when the hospital did my first ultrasound they saw two sacs, but only one baby. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks again everyone for all the positive words and support this past week.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Update: measuring 6 weeks, thought I was 8 weeks

• I haven't experienced this, but do take comfort in that heartbeat! DD was (and still is) always small for her age/GA. Two weeks is a big difference now, but it is based on an average. It could be that your bean runs small and was a week late implantation, instead of two. Unfortunately it will just take a while to know for sure. My prayers are with you for a H&H 9 months!
    Anniversary 
  • @cmar1006 - I'm in the EXACT same boat. EXACT. We also saw flicker of heartbeat at 140, so I'm trying not to get worried about it. Sending positive vibes your way! 
  • Loading the player...
  • mrstrax said:

I haven't experienced this, but do take comfort in that heartbeat! DD was (and still is) always small for her age/GA. Two weeks is a big difference now, but it is based on an average. It could be that your bean runs small and was a week late implantation, instead of two. Unfortunately it will just take a while to know for sure. My prayers are with you for a H&H 9 months!

Thanks! I never had this issue with DD. She measured exactly as I thought the while time. It's so true that no two pregnancies are the same!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My second son was like this. I knew when my lmp was abd when I ovulated. But he must of implanted late. According to when I ovulated, he should of been due Oct. 17. But at my first ultrasound his edd was Oct. 29. He ended up being born Oct. 12 due to fetal distress though so in the end it didn't matter lol.
  • KHouz said:

My second son was like this. I knew when my lmp was abd when I ovulated. But he must of implanted late. According to when I ovulated, he should of been due Oct. 17. But at my first ultrasound his edd was Oct. 29. He ended up being born Oct. 12 due to fetal distress though so in the end it didn't matter lol.

It's all so confusing! I know if will all work out, I just want to know how!

What year was your son born? My DD was born October 19, 2013.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had my scan yesterday and the same(ish) thing.. Thought I was 6w2d and they measured me at 5w4d (internal scan) with a hb of 102.. The sonographer said anything above 100 so early is fine.. But I'm in the same position - I hate worrying about it. Calling my dr for report in the morning.. Best of luck to all x
  • JH2905 said:

I had my scan yesterday and the same(ish) thing.. Thought I was 6w2d and they measured me at 5w4d (internal scan) with a hb of 102.. The sonographer said anything above 100 so early is fine.. But I'm in the same position - I hate worrying about it. Calling my dr for report in the morning.. Best of luck to all x

@JH2905 did you get a good report back from doc? Hope everything turned out well!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mrsmtothekmrsmtothek member
    edited August 2015
    Relying on your LMP to calculate your EDD is known to be an inaccurate estimate, but one that most OB offices use because a lot of women aren't tracking ovulation specifically. Even if you had 28 day cycles consistently (for example), that does not guarantee that you will ovulate at the same exact time every cycle. Unless you were temping and know specifically when you were ovulating, there is always a chance of that estimate being off. Take some deep breaths and relax.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am also in this same boat. I know I should have been 7w3d when I went in and she measured 6w3d. I am so worried and I won't be able to go back until 9/15 for another ultrasound. I am on vacation, but am so worried that I can't even really enjoy being here.
    Have you guys heard anything more?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am also in this same boat. I know I should have been 7w3d when I went in and she measured 6w3d. I am so worried and I won't be able to go back until 9/15 for another ultrasound. I am on vacation, but am so worried that I can't even really enjoy being here.
    Have you guys heard anything more?

Nothing yet. I go in tomorrow for betas tomorrow. Hopefully that will give me some peace of mind. This whole weekend was full of distractions.

I hope you are able able to find some peace until your next appointment. Praying for you and your LO!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Relying on your LMP to calculate your EDD is known to be an inaccurate estimate, but one that most OB offices use because a lot of women aren't tracking ovulation specifically. Even if you had 28 day cycles consistently (for example), that does not guarantee that you will ovulate at the same exact time every cycle. Unless you were temping and know specifically when you were ovulating, there is always a chance of that estimate being off. Take some deep breaths and relax.

Thanks! Definitely trying to take it easy and keep my mind elsewhere until I can get some answers.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • With DS my due date was 6 days later than it should have been based on ovulation. A heartbeat of 140 sounds promising. With my first miscarriage it never went above 105 and went down a week later. Can you ask for a follow up ultrasound to ease your nerves?
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • With DS my due date was 6 days later than it should have been based on ovulation. A heartbeat of 140 sounds promising. With my first miscarriage it never went above 105 and went down a week later. Can you ask for a follow up ultrasound to ease your nerves?

They weren't able to record the heartbeat at my first ultrasound (5w6d) because it was too faint, that was a different poster. I should have an ultrasound sometime next week.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • supertokisupertoki member
    edited September 2015
    This happened to me. I went in at 7 weeks but measured only 6. She saw the fetal pole, sac, and yolk on the U/S and told me to come back in 2 weeks (but no HB visible). We went back on Friday and everything was fine... she saw a healthy HB right away. Measurements were at exactly 8 weeks. I guess I ovulate a week later than the standard 28 day cycle !!
  • Relying on your LMP to calculate your EDD is known to be an inaccurate estimate, but one that most OB offices use because a lot of women aren't tracking ovulation specifically. Even if you had 28 day cycles consistently (for example), that does not guarantee that you will ovulate at the same exact time every cycle. Unless you were temping and know specifically when you were ovulating, there is always a chance of that estimate being off. Take some deep breaths and relax.

I was going to say the exact same thing. Dh and I were charting to avoid and it has worked for the last two years. In July I must have ovulated much later because I can't figure out where I went wrong.

• I have the exact same issue and it hurts my head to work the math out. I went to my appointment today thinking I was 8w3d but they think I'm 6w2d's. I know the first day of my last period and know what days we might have conceived. I'm not sure I care much about the change in weeks but I was so excited to almost be finished with the first trimester. All day nausea is the pits.
  • I don't think it's a big deal. I am measuring a week behind where I thought I was. We had an ultrasound yesterday and baby looks great! Ultrasound tech said miscalculation happens often. Enjoy the next 8 months! :)
  • Same here... According to my cycle I should be due 4/11 and just at 8 wks, but at my first ultrasound today showed size of just over 5 wks and due date of 4/30. No heartbeat yet and scheduled for another ultrasound in 2 wks, but am still so confused and surprised by how far off my calc was by almost 3 wks..and trying not to worry. Anyone have that much inaccuracy?
  • Well, I got my results back and my hcg levels are 33. I asked her twice to make sure I was hearing her right. The doctor asked me to come in on Friday for more bloodwork and another ultrasound.

I am trying not to lose hope, but my mind keeps wandering off to dark places. Any positive thoughts and prayers sent my way would be so appreciated. This uncertainty is the absolute worst!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm so, so sorry that you're going through this.  
  • cmar1006 said:
    Well, I got my results back and my hcg levels are 33. I asked her twice to make sure I was hearing her right. The doctor asked me to come in on Friday for more bloodwork and another ultrasound. I am trying not to lose hope, but my mind keeps wandering off to dark places. Any positive thoughts and prayers sent my way would be so appreciated. This uncertainty is the absolute worst!
    Sending positive and happy thoughts your way, please keep us posted.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am so sorry. I have my fingers crossed for you because our situations are so similar. I should be around 6-6.5 weeks and I'm measuring around 5 weeks. Was your betas higher before? I just got a call back from my doctor today. She said she won't be able to tell anything until I have another ultrasound in 10 days so I am going in on the 10th. I am praying so hard that this little bean has grown. I will say a little prayer for your bean.
  • I am so sorry. I have my fingers crossed for you because our situations are so similar. I should be around 6-6.5 weeks and I'm measuring around 5 weeks. Was your betas higher before? I just got a call back from my doctor today. She said she won't be able to tell anything until I have another ultrasound in 10 days so I am going in on the 10th. I am praying so hard that this little bean has grown. I will say a little prayer for your bean.

This was the first time I had my betas done, so nothing to compare it to. Thanks for the prayers and prayers to you too!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • cmar1006 said:
    With DS my due date was 6 days later than it should have been based on ovulation. A heartbeat of 140 sounds promising. With my first miscarriage it never went above 105 and went down a week later. Can you ask for a follow up ultrasound to ease your nerves?
    They weren't able to record the heartbeat at my first ultrasound (5w6d) because it was too faint, that was a different poster. I should have an ultrasound sometime next week.
    Oh sorry! Mobile is hard! On my computer now. When is your US? Hoping for good news!

Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • I had this with my first pregnancy and this time too, but not worried about it BC I agree with what others gave already said, there are a lot of factors at play (LMP, day you ovulated, implanted etc) plus with my last pregnancy, the dates caught up by the 12 and 20 week scans... Also so early on, the measurements are so small in mm, 1 mm here and there and you have a different age.

Try not to worry too much, sending you all lots of happy and healthy pregnancy vibes!!
  • Ugh so sorry @cmar1006. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • This exact same thing happened to me. Thought I was 7 weeks 6 days and they had me at 5 weeks 6 days through transvaginal. Don't worry! Try to remember the only way they have to calculate DD is based on last period until they start the ultrasound because everyone ovulated different is in not possible to calculate any other way. Your DD may change again. Don't stress! Heartbeat is a great sign!
  • Ok this might be a stupid question but how does the ultrasound measurement calculate age? If I am 9 weeks according to my last menstrual period, which arrived like clockwork every 28 days, but implantation didn't actually occur until 2 or even 3 weeks later, would the ultrasound measure my baby at 6 or 7 weeks? It seems like it ends up being the exact same thing as my own 9 week measurement, except of course later in the pregnancy when those weeks really count.

• when I had my first u/s I measured 5 weeks should of been 5 weeks 6 days. I had blood work that day also. when the results came back they had not doubled correctly. I've been so nervous the last 2 weeks. We went today and seen the heartbeat at 144! we even measured further along and back to our original due date. I know it's hard to stay positive after having a mmc in March. Thoughts and Prayers!!   

• Updated in OP
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That is great news but oh my word! I can't believe how dense the receptionist must be. That's horrible. You should tell someone so she doesn't continue to make that mistake with other soon-to-be-moms. I can't imagine the worry you went through for no reason
  • That's wonderful news!!
  • That is great news but oh my word! I can't believe how dense the receptionist must be. That's horrible. You should tell someone so she doesn't continue to make that mistake with other soon-to-be-moms. I can't imagine the worry you went through for no reason

Oh, I definitely let the doctor know. I sure hope she corrects her. I was seriously in hell for the past 4 days. I was so sick this morning that I couldn't eat. What a mess. I can definitely laugh about it now, but I don't want any other soon-to-be-mom to have to go through this.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • TrishGbb said:
    Ok this might be a stupid question but how does the ultrasound measurement calculate age? If I am 9 weeks according to my last menstrual period, which arrived like clockwork every 28 days, but implantation didn't actually occur until 2 or even 3 weeks later, would the ultrasound measure my baby at 6 or 7 weeks? It seems like it ends up being the exact same thing as my own 9 week measurement, except of course later in the pregnancy when those weeks really count.
    Early on, all babes measure almost exactly the same because they are so small that there isn't much room for variability. Later on in the pregnancy there can be big variations. The ultrasound will measure the crown to rump length this early on and that converts to a weeks age based on LMP. So whenever it is you ovulated, they just add 2 weeks. 

• OP - HOLY SHIT I would be so so so livid with the receptionist. I am so glad your numbers are high. When is your "good' ultrasound going to be?

• That is such wonderful news!! And it gives me so much hope for my little bean! I hope your next US goes well also.
  • Um, that receptionist needs some training. That's not cool!
  • I am so happy to hear that you got some good news :)
    I hope I get good news too on the 15th. It can't come fast enough...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • This is the same thing that has happened with my pregnancy. Doctor says everything looks good. I wanted to understand why we had different calculations and its because they measure based on fetal size. Every pregnancy is different. Not every baby progresses in the same way. She said I shouldn't worry about 2 weeks because it's not that much time.