August 2015 Moms
Options

Baby Jaw Quiver

My little ones jaw quivers sometimes while breastfeeding. Often actually. It's the oddest thing! It will start and stop. I know she can't be cold as I have her bundled up under a blanky and skin to skin. I'm not too worried about it but just wondering if this is a common thing.

Re: Baby Jaw Quiver

• Options
    Haha, mine does too. I just thought it was because she's in shear ecstacy when attached to my boob.
  • Options
    My first daughter did this also. Ped said it's just the brain learning to be a brain, basically. You should mention it though at your next appointment.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby does this as well when she's
    feeding. Guess it's just a normal thing
  • Options
    Wering said:

Oh thank God. I thought you were introducing us to your new baby that you named Jaw Quiver. I was really sad for him at first. Yes, it is normal for the jaw to quiver. A lot of times they will create movements (hands massaging the breast, jaw quiver, head shaking back and forth) to try to stimulate milk supply.

Ha!
  • Options
    kettlekittenkettlekitten member
    edited August 2015
    My first would do that usually while comfort nursing, like a little buzz with the bottom jaw. Agree with PPs it is a way of stimulating milk supply. It's quite weird but cute, and normal as far as I can tell!
  • Options
    DD does this too. I just assumed it was a way for her to stimulate for more milk/encourage let down. She only seems to do it after she's been nursing on one side for a while.
  • Options
    Yep. It happens over here too. My kid will actually quiver, then latch on quickly and make this grunting/snorting sound like a pig haha.
  • Options
    Wering said:

Oh thank God. I thought you were introducing us to your new baby that you named Jaw Quiver. I was really sad for him at first. Yes, it is normal for the jaw to quiver. A lot of times they will create movements (hands massaging the breast, jaw quiver, head shaking back and forth) to try to stimulate milk supply.

Hahaha.
  • Options
    So glad I read this, now I know why my daughter does it lol.
  • Options
    My baby does this randomly not when feeding...
  • Options
    gmd88 said:

My baby does this randomly not when feeding...

My daughter always did it randomly.
  • Options
    My son also does this! I asked the pediatrician about it yesterday and was told it his nervous system making connections and developing! She said it is completely normal and will go away with time. I also read online that if you touch your LO's lip and it stops, then that is a normal response for him or her to have.
  • Options
    I was under the impression that it encourages let down by nipple stimulation.  When you use a pump it starts doing the same rapid motion.  
  • Options
    Mine does that!