Stay at Home Moms

Come in if your kid had a tonsillectomy

I just found out DS2 speech therapist things having his tonsils and adenoids removed will help with his speech delay. Of course she waited to tell me thing until after school started even though he has been seeing her for a year! UGH. Anyway, Would you mind sharing your experience with me? I am pretty nervous about it. 
Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13

Re: Come in if your kid had a tonsillectomy

• Sorry, total lurker.. My DS has had both out, on separate occasions. Adenoids first, then tonsils. The adenoids healing didn't bother him much, maybe 2 days tops? The tonsils lasted about a week or so of soft foods. There was no discomfort after day 2. A little tidbit our ENT told us.. Adenoids can grow back. He actually had to have the adenoids cauterized when we got tonsils out. ENT said his adenoids had 're-bud' which is a normal possibility. HTH!
  • Hi, lurker here.  My DS had his adenoids out and tubes put in when he was 20 months, and recovery was a breeze.  He had his tonsils taken out this summer, and extra adenoid tissue removed, when he was 2.5 years.  Because he was under 3 he had to stay in the hospital over night and have IV fluids for the entire time.  This was tough on him.  He had to have soft foods for 2 weeks.  The first few days he was uncomfortable so we stayed on top of Tylenol/Motrin.  About one week out he was complaining that his throat was itchy/hurt, but that's when the scabs fall off.  I was told that kids usually do very well with this procedure.  HTH and good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My dd1 had both removed at once when she was 3 because her tonsils were larger than usual and there was a worry that they were contributing to her feeding delay. The worst part was the iv.