March 2016 Moms
Options

nuchal translucency ultrasound

has anyone had this done? I just did today and my results were 3.9.... Which puts me at a high risk. I'm going to get the blood test done this week. I'm so scared.... Part of me wishes we never had it done. I'm so worried about our baby and I can't stop crying.

Re: nuchal translucency ultrasound

• Options
    You can ask for a maternal-fetal blood test, like the MaterniT21. It's not invasive and way more conclusive than the ultrasound/blood test.

Also, remember that this result just means an increased risk, it's not a diagnosis! Follow up, but do not panic yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had this done. The measurement was normal and I don't have the blood results back yet. My cousin had a positive scan too and just gave birth a few months ago to a totally healthy baby. Never fear!! Many people with high risk scans have totally normal babies!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    J234J234 member
    Are you doing additional testing?  I second what other people are saying... increased risk, but not a guarantee.  Keep up the hope!  HUGS! 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hate this test.  I had a 'normal' NT measurement but combined with the blood test my odds for Downs came back a lot worse than they should have been for my age (30 at the time so not that bad).  It cause me so much stress and worrying.  I would suggest seeing what your odds are when the NT measurement is combined with the bloodwork.  If they aren't where you're comfortable do the Materniti21 (or other free dna type test), I wish I would have went that one step further last time.  Ultimately these tests are just for screening purposes and cannot diagnose anything, only an amnio or CVS can do that.  If you google there are TONS of stories of women who's results from the first trimester screen come back low but go on to have healthy babies.  Also please bug your Dr as much as you need to feel comfortable with the tests, results, options, etc.  I wish I had been a bigger advocate for myself last time.
  • Options
    I have this test scheduled for next week. I know nothing about it but am getting it because of advanced maternal age and my previous miscarriage showed Down syndrome in the chromosome mapping. Does the 3.9 number mean a 3.9% chance, or is it a high number based on a measurement?
  • Options
    I know a ton of people who have gone on for further testing due to measurements and have ended up with healthy babies. It's impossible not to stress, but keep in mind this particular ultrasound doesn't give conclusive results at all. Hoping all the best for a healthy baby for you and all of us!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @melzseb hey, maybe someone can expand on this but basically what I know from mine is that it is a measurement on the u/s in millimetres of the amount of cerebrospinal fluid behind the neck of the fetus. Having more fluid sometimes correlates with babies who truly have chromosomal abnormalities, but not always. I believe a normal measurement is usually under 2.5mm. To make the u/s measurement more accurate for predicting chromosomal abnormalities, it is often combined with a blood test.
  • Options
    I'm waiting on my T21 results as well. My US looked healthy but I need the reassurance. How has your insurance been with this test? Mine had no idea what I was asking for & it took me 3 weeks just to get an "estimate". My other concern was that I'm due in March & my deductible will start over in January. So I'm out of luck from what I understand. I went ahead and took my test last week bc I couldn't wait either. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.
  • Options
    I had mine the other day and the rest of the world likes to see under 3.5 and the US likes to see under 3. You can always do more testing to whatever capacity you are comfortable with. But nothing will truly tell you unless you get a CVS or Amnio. I hope you get results that everything is just fine!
  • Options
    mgm84mgm84 member
    edited September 2015
    Just wanted to emphasize that the blood tests (MaterniT21, etc.) and NT tests are ALL screeners and NOT diagnostic. ETA: I'm currently waiting on CVS results as I have a 50% chance of MC so I feel your anxiety!

Lilypie - (eoyh)

• Options
    Just want to post an update. I got my results back and they are negative and we are having a baby boy! Beyond happy and excited! I think I worried myself for nothing. My OB said no need for an amino if the results are negative. As long as everything is good on our 18 week scan, we will be in the clear! I'm thinking he has my husbands big head and neck, he's 6'4 and a big guy. His mom said he was born with a big head and the doctors were sure something was wrong, and he is completely normal! I'm looking forward to a more relaxed pregnancy and can't wait to hold my baby boy in my arms.
    Congrats and yikes!  My hubby is 6'3 and a big dude too.  His mother doesn't tell me much about his birth but his father told me he was a big baby.  I just have 1 word- DRUGS!!!! lol
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    So are any of you that have started these tests located in CA? I had a blood draw today with my NT w/ Ultrasound scheduled for next Monday. My midwife said that the state of CA covers these tests but they took my credit card for an $87 charge today. How much is this costing everyone?
  • Options
    skruhminskruhmin member
    edited September 2015
    charley15 said:
    Just want to post an update. I got my results back and they are negative and we are having a baby boy! Beyond happy and excited! I think I worried myself for nothing. My OB said no need for an amino if the results are negative. As long as everything is good on our 18 week scan, we will be in the clear! I'm thinking he has my husbands big head and neck, he's 6'4 and a big guy. His mom said he was born with a big head and the doctors were sure something was wrong, and he is completely normal! I'm looking forward to a more relaxed pregnancy and can't wait to hold my baby boy in my arms.
    Congrats and yikes!  My hubby is 6'3 and a big dude too.  His mother doesn't tell me much about his birth but his father told me he was a big baby.  I just have 1 word- DRUGS!!!! lol
    It's not the head you have to worry about, but rather the shoulders :)

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options

So are any of you that have started these tests located in CA? I had a blood draw today with my NT w/ Ultrasound scheduled for next Monday. My midwife said that the state of CA covers these tests but they took my credit card for an $87 charge today. How much is this costing everyone?

It might just be a co-pay? Im in CA, but I don't have co-pays on my insurance plan, so I didn't have to put any money out.
  • Options
    Good news, congrats!
  • Options
    With my last baby, I lived in CA and I got a bill for the test for about $84. I don't recall if my insurance ended up paying for it. I know I had to call and give them my insurance information.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. My midwife was surprised that I was charged. Guess we'll see if insurance picks up the bill...
  • Options
    Hi I had my 12 week scan yesterday and they found out my baby has fluid measuring at 4.1mm I'm so scared I have the combined blood test on Monday :( xx
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    edited September 2015
    @samantha0089 good luck with your blood test. Don't forget that that nt scan was not diagnostic. It doesn't mean anything for definite! Thoughts and prayers to you.

Edited for spelling

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you x
  • Options
    Another update:

Everything is still all good. We had our anatomy scan on Monday and he looks perfect! The doctor said he has no explanation as to why the fluid was high at 13wks. He wants us to have an ultrasound with the pediatric cardiologist in 4 weeks, even though he doesn't think they will find anything. And he wants to measure the fluid again in late December. It's all protocol... but if there is something wrong I still want to know, especially if its his heart so we can be prepared for delivery.

I hope everyone else is doing well! :)