May 2016 Moms

Called the doctor yet?

Has anyone called their doc yet to set up their first appointment?
~spaceunicorn~

Re: Called the doctor yet?

• DutchLucyLuDutchLucyLu member
    edited August 2015
    Not yet. Found out yesterday (Saturday) so waiting until the weekend is over to call. For now I kind of like the fact that nobody "in real life" knows except my husband and myself. :)

EDIT: I called and the assistant was all, "Nah, we don't need to see you, you can just call the midwife and make an appointment", so I did. First appointment is September 16th and I'll have my first U/S a week or two after that.
  • I haven't yet. Since I found out on Friday and wanted to take a digital FRER with FMU to confirm on Saturday, I'm going to wait until Monday to call.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I have, I received a BFP pretty early (8DPO).  After a couple days more days and another BFP, I called to set up an appointment.  After lurking, I kind of expected my first appointment to be around 8 or 9 weeks...but they do a 1 1/2 hour intake appointment to meet the OB team and cover history/preferences around week 6.  I think the physical/true first appointment will be in that 8-9 week timeframe.  Out of curiosity, any one else considering a doula?
  • mschill22 said:

I have, I received a BFP pretty early (8DPO).  After a couple days more days and another BFP, I called to set up an appointment.  After lurking, I kind of expected my first appointment to be around 8 or 9 weeks...but they do a 1 1/2 hour intake appointment to meet the OB team and cover history/preferences around week 6.  I think the physical/true first appointment will be in that 8-9 week timeframe.  Out of curiosity, any one else considering a doula?

My doctor said they might let me come in for a blood draw really early on if I wanted, so I think a lot of OBs do things differently.

I'm definitely considering a doula. When my mom mentioned to my cousin that we were TTC, she expressed interest in being my doula, so that's something I will strongly consider. She's had two births, one in the hospital, and one at a birth center, and her second was twins!
    *Siggy Warning*

• My husband works at a hospital and works on a lot of C-sections (mostly emergency ones). He's had some really bad experiences with professional doulas who got overbearing, got in the way of medical staff or started 'explaining' what was about to happen and getting it completely wrong with their explanation.

Not saying all doulas are like that of course! DH doesn't have much experience with vaginal and/or unmedicated births (he's an anesthesia technician) and those are quite different in terms of urgency/stress etc. And you should totally get a doula if you feel it would help. I think having family member doula would actually be really nice, if you feel you could use the extra support. For us it's just going to be me, DH and the midwife/whichever medical people need to be there. :)
  • Hi All!
    First post in the group.  :)

I have my beta test tomorrow morning at my fertility doctor's office.  I started getting BFP's on 5dp5dt.  (I did a frozen embryo transfer)
  • Not yet. It's still really early. I will probably call at the end of next week. They will probably have me come in after that. That is what they did when I was pregnant with DD.

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• I have, I received a BFP pretty early (8DPO).  After a couple days more days and another BFP, I called to set up an appointment.  After lurking, I kind of expected my first appointment to be around 8 or 9 weeks...but they do a 1 1/2 hour intake appointment to meet the OB team and cover history/preferences around week 6.  I think the physical/true first appointment will be in that 8-9 week timeframe.  Out of curiosity, any one else considering a doula?
    My doctor said they might let me come in for a blood draw really early on if I wanted, so I think a lot of OBs do things differently. I'm definitely considering a doula. When my mom mentioned to my cousin that we were TTC, she expressed interest in being my doula, so that's something I will strongly consider. She's had two births, one in the hospital, and one at a birth center, and her second was twins!
    I would love a doula. They are not very prevalent in my area, but I follow a few FB groups, so I might try to book one of the few. Having a cousin with experience is awesome. Very jealous!

imageimage 

http://media.thedailytouch.com/2013/08/lets-do-this-ucas-gif.gif

• Going Friday at 5 weeks and if everything looks good we go September 18 at 8 weeks for our first US! Going crazy with excitement (and nervousness!)!
  • Just called today! My first appointment and u/s is 9/17 at 8 weeks. Wish I could go sooner for peace of mind. Trying to be calm and patient!
  • Haven't called yet either, but I think I might this week :) As for a doula, i haven't ever had one before (this will be our fourth kiddo).
    ~spaceunicorn~
  • Called last week and have an appointment on Sept 18th!  My dr wouldn't schedule an appointment until the 7/8 week mark.  :)
  • I have a blood draw tomorrow and my first appointment might be within a few weeks.  I forget what my doctor did last time.

I won't have a doula.  I didn't have one with DS because I was so comfortable with my ob/gyn and felt good about the hospital.  This time I'll have a scheduled RCS so doulas need not apply!

image        image

• Are you all calling your PCP or your OBGYN? I do not have a OB where we recently moved to so am not sure if I should just find an OB that delivers at the hospital I want and make appointments with them right away or if I should see my PCP first?
  • I don't know if your insurance would be an issue, @allen4tl, but personally I would just find an OB at the hospital you want to deliver and give them a call.

Maybe have a few on hand if you don't get the warm and fuzzies from the first place you talk to.

Personally, my dr is an ob/gyn so I see him regularly. 

image        image

• We did an Iui so my doctor was first person that I called. I am also considering a doula. I did acupuncture and also fertility massage. Really anything that I thought might help. My massage therapist is a doula as well and she has really given me good advice so far and some supplements to take that made me feel more normal this cycle. It was out third Iui and a miscarriage in may. I still want to use the drugs and have my dr be the primary care giver but thinking about doing some of her services.
  • I called my GP the day of my Bfp! Going in to see her tomorrow. Assuming the appointment will just be to confirm the pregnancy. I have also called two midwife offices yesterday and got my name in with them. I will hear back about booking a consultation /interview appointment with them soon. So exciting!
  • allen4tl said:
    Are you all calling your PCP or your OBGYN? I do not have a OB where we recently moved to so am not sure if I should just find an OB that delivers at the hospital I want and make appointments with them right away or if I should see my PCP first?
    I called my OB. I'd book with an OB first. If you're not a fan, you have plenty of time to find a new one!
    *Siggy Warning*

• Just found out yesterday but won't be calling yet. My midwife won't see me until I'm 12 weeks...so first app will be mid to late Oct :)
  • Finally called today and my confirmation appointment is Sept 9th by then I will be almost 6 weeks.

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• Got my BFP yesterday and called today. Blood draw next week and because my SO and I had a miscarriage in late April, my Ob wants an ultrasound done around 6 weeks to check for a heartbeat (we lost our last one around 6w3d). So fingers crossed all goes well!
  • Called yesterday won't see until at least 8 weeks
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • No, haven't called yet I'm going to wait to call my midwife on Monday. Just got my BFP yesterday.
  • I had blood work done Monday which confirmed pregnancy so my Dr actually called me to tell me I was pregnant. First appt is 9/28.