May 2015 Moms

water

When is it ok to give your baby water? My infant is 3 months old and gets the hiccups ocassionally

Re: water

• My ped said 6 mo minimum & to check with her first
  • I give my almost 12 week old a little water when he has hiccups. I did the same with my first, they're both fine ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • I give my son gripe water, it supposedly helps with hiccups but I'm not sure. The poor little guy gets them all the time!!
    CordeliaD87
  • Everything I've read says water is very bad for babies under 6 months.
  • edited August 2015
    Breast milk and formula are basically all water anyways, so giving them additional water on top of that is just filling their stomach up with something that has zero nutrition.

As for the hiccups, if it isn't preventing your baby from eating and sleeping, you shouldn't worry about it. They may be annoying to you, but the baby honestly barely even notices it - at least that's what my doctor told me. Just let it take its course. My DS gets hiccups at least once a day, if not more.
  • I give my 15 wo water when she gets hiccups and i had just nursed her, just enough for it to go away I know it's not reccomended but my rationalization is formula fed babies get water every feed, i know it's mixed with a lot of nutrients but it's water.. I'm not saying you should but i do lol
  • Breast milk is like 80% water and obviously formula fed babies are getting water in their formula. There is no reason to give your baby water. As PP said, it fills them up with no nutrients. It's advised not to give water until at least 6 months. And the hiccups are fine. My DS gets them a couple of times a day.
    DMEL
  • My pedi says you can give baby sips of water from a cup at 4 months old, but definitely not from a bottle, or they'll drink too much.

We did this with our 4 yo when he was a baby, and he was just fine.
  • I guess I really do not understand the need to give baby water that young. What's the point? They get all the hydration they need from BM/formula, even if it's hot out. Hiccups go away on their own and aren't harmful. Whenever this question pops up, it annoys me, lol.
    Buckles0528courtneylevesquejustkeeptrying
  • I guess I really do not understand the need to give baby water that young. What's the point? They get all the hydration they need from BM/formula, even if it's hot out. Hiccups go away on their own and aren't harmful. Whenever this question pops up, it annoys me, lol.

I agree. A very quick call to your pedi will give you the answer but why even ask? Babies don't need water. Their sole source of nutrition is literally just liquid. Just. Liquid. Mostly water folks.
    SmrBrd2012
  • I don't understand why anyone feels the need to give them water. I breast feed and pump and the other week I left my DD with her grandparents for 1.5 hours. I left them with 3oz of BM which was plenty since she had just eaten. Well I get back and they say she drank all her milk then they gave her water too! I was so mad. She was only 10weeks at the time! If a baby is thirsty they just need their milk or formula. Not water. I was not happy about it.
    Buckles0528SmrBrd2012
  • Buckles0528Buckles0528 member
    edited August 2015
    J_Meehan said:

tough crowd sometimes!  I don't think any question is annoying or stupid when it comes to our babes... some things that come naturally to some may not to others, we are all learning!

Its not about anything being "natural". What do you think formula and breastmilk are made of? Something liquid other than water? Did you not ask your pediatrician if your baby should have anything other than milk or formula?

She asked. We answered.
    cassietegtmeierSmrBrd2012DMEL

• tough crowd sometimes!  I don't think any question is annoying or stupid when it comes to our babes... some things that come naturally to some may not to others, we are all learning!

Its not about anything being "natural". What do you think formula and breastmilk are made of? Something liquod other than water? Did you not ask your pediatrician if your baby should have anything other than milk or formula? She asked. We answered.
    Also, a quick Google search yields multiple sources stating that this practice is not necessary and not okay.
    cassietegtmeier
  • I don't understand why people ask if it's ok to do something they are already doing?!
  • J_Meehan said:

tough crowd sometimes!  I don't think any question is annoying or stupid when it comes to our babes... some things that come naturally to some may not to others, we are all learning!

I agree completely! Also, I'm pretty sure the "naturally" didn't refer to the milk in her post, more to parenting decisions we have questions about.
    blairdavis99J_Meehan
  • Wow. I thought all the negative judgmental people were gone.
    mars8kJ_Meehancnamommyof2
  • DMELDMEL member

Wow. I thought all the negative judgmental people were gone.

Because your comment wasn't the least bit negative or judgmental! Pot meet kettle :)
    cassietegtmeierBuckles0528courtneylevesqueLadyBlood
  • I don't see how commenting that I give my babies water when they have hiccups is negative or judgmental
  • DMELDMEL member

I don't see how commenting that I give my babies water when they have hiccups is negative or judgmental

I was referring to the comment I quoted where you sarcastically accused people of being negative and judgmental. Which was in fact a negative and judgmental statement.
  • edited August 2015
    DMEL said:

I don't see how commenting that I give my babies water when they have hiccups is negative or judgmental

I was referring to the comment I quoted where you sarcastically accused people of being negative and judgmental. Which was in fact a negative and judgmental statement.
    I wasn't being sarcastic, that was an honest comment. I think it's wrong to refer someone to Google when they're asking for help from other mothers instead of a search engine. Also, telling someone that their question annoys you is pretty negative in my opinion.
  • Science and doctors have proven that water should not be given prior to 6 months. It's 100% unnecessary at this age and does have some risks. People do make decisions for their child to drink water this early, people also still use bumpers when that is proven unsafe as well. I would take hiccups over potential harm anyday.
    DMEL
  • The amount of water that it takes to cause a baby harm, water intoxication, is much higher than allowing a few sips but this should only be done when they have already been fed.
  • The amount of water that it takes to cause a baby harm, water intoxication, is much higher than allowing a few sips but this should only be done when they have already been fed.

No. Actually, it shouldn't be done at all until 6 months or your pediatrician says its OK. This is why in OP's case Google would have been better. Her question has a definitive answer. The answer is, not until 6 months.
  • Asking for advice is different than asking a question that has an answer. I know this is beating a dead horse at this point but "because I did it" is giving bad and possibly dangerous answers. Google. Bam.
  • DMELDMEL member
    I don't get why people think They're not going to get any backlash when they say things like "I know the doctor said not to but I do it anyway"
    LadyBlood
  • Google and a pediatrician are two very different things. I am going off of a discussion with my pediatrician and my personal experience. And yes, definitely beating a dead horse at this point.
  • This is moronic. Google, doctors, adequate mothers, and every parenting resource will all tell you NO WATER!
  • I'm just going to say...if the reason you are giving your LO water is due to hiccups...why not just be on the safe side and give them more formula...
  • J_MeehanJ_Meehan member
    edited August 2015
  • Water will NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT kill a baby...is it necessary??  NO!!  But lets not be so insane and rude to other mothers on here. GEEZ!!!!
    rileysmama2007
  • DMELDMEL member
    @J_Meehan
    Enough is enough - this is the third controversial post you have resurrected in the last day. These were all dead and buried- move on
    ashleyandely
  • ^^ @DMEL.... there was a comment removed that you didn't see in response to me... that person has since removed their comment.  Mind your own business. Thank you!
  • Water can kill a baby, at least that's what has been in the news. I believe it's called water toxicity.