Trouble TTC

Introduction (child mentioned)

hi everyone! I first introduced myself to the Secondary Infertility board and they have guided me here since I am not in iui or ivf treatments. I hope you don't mind me pasting my intro from there :)

Hello everyone I would like to introduce myself and hopefully join the forum. I am 25 years old, have been married for 4 years and together with my husband for 8. We have a 2 year old daughter and have been ttc. Af got me today and would make this our 10th cycle. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 and I struggle with insulin resistance induced by my PCOS. I was on medication and bcp and when we decided to try for our first child I was lucky that my insulin issues were under control and we got pregnant right away. This time around we haven't been lucky. I have been getting help since around 6 months trying because I was/am not ovulating and I have a diagnosed fertility issue. Since my insulin problem is back, I was put on metformim 3 months ago. Usually that settles the insulin and will help me ovulate. However, I wasn't lucky and I continue to have annovulatory cycles. My cycles are short- 24-26 days. And I have confirmed via US that there is no ovulation, just rupturing of cysts, empty follicles. They don't mature enough and I have no LH surge (no positive opks) and I have no CM what so ever really. I am at a point of frustration because I feel as if every month I don't even stand a chance. My Dr won't do much for 3 more months, until it's been a year. I am hoping to convince him to let me try clomid, since we have confirmed there is no ovulation. I hope to find here a place of support and advice regarding treatments and hopefully some of you can relate to my disease and help with some advice too. Sorry it's so long. Thank you for reading
*BFP warning*
*Child mentioned*
TTC #2. Daughter born July 17th of 2013. 
PCOS, Endo, Insulin Resitance. 

HSG done Sep 17- tubes unblocked! SA done- came back good! Hysteroscopy done Nov7- No uterus issues 

On 2550mg a day Metformin. 
Round 1 of Clomid- 100mg CD3-7  BFN- Clomid left a huge cyst, AF arrived after 40 day cycle- BFN
Round 1 of Femara- 10mg CD2-6 Mid cycle scan showed two follies (31mm and 27mm), trigger shot- BFN
Benched out December- BFN
Round 2 of Femara- BFP!!! First beta at 10dpo- 28 Second beta at 12 dpo- ? 

Re: Introduction (child mentioned)

• Welcome!  I'm sorry that you have to be here, but glad that you found us.  If you haven't read it yet, be sure to read up on our newbie blog!

It's time to find a new doctor.  That "1 year rule" isn't applicable to anovulatory women!   No ovulation=absolutely no point in trying.  I wouldn't trust a doctor with that kind of blind spot in decision making.   At the very least the rest of your testing (SA, HSG, etc) could be done in the ramp up to treatment at this point.  

If your insurance allows, I highly recommend going straight to a reproductive endocrinologist.   An RE would never make that kind of rookie mistake, and anybody with PCOS should never be unmonitored on Clomid.   Good luck!

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Welcome to the board. I feel like if you aren't ovulating the. Your doctor should be treating you. It's one thing if you are ovulating and having a normal cycle, but you're not! I wasn't getting a period or anything so that started treatment. Now it's been 20 months and I'm still not having a regular cycle.mwe just started treatment this month though due to insurance and getting other medical issues under control. If your doctor won't treat you yet you might want to see someone else.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome!! I'm glad you found this board. I have PCOS too.

I also suggest finding a new doctor. The year rule applies only to "regular" women with no known fertility issues. Your Dr sounds like he straight up doesn't care, you don't want someone like that helping you get pregnant, if he delivered your previous child and you like him, then have your second with him but don't rely on him to help you get pregnant.

I've had the uncaring OB, it made me feel awful and I don't think any woman struggling with fertility issues should have to go through that. I'm sorry you have to deal with him now :(
  • Thank you ladies for the welcome :) i think this month my outlook has changed. At first when I started the dr told me to give it 1 year, I just had a feeling something was wrong and he agreed he will do tests after 6 months. So I found that fair, since I have cycles at the time we didn't know I wasn't ovulating. After the 6 months I had the exams and we determined there was no ovulation, and I had insulin resistance. So my dr gave me metformin and usually that brings backs O, he told me to give it 3 months because sometimes it can take a while for the body to respond. So I did, and now the 3 months are up and I have to go back. Sorry if I made it sound like my Dr isn't really doing anything for me. I guess looking back he is, but now if at my next appointment he doesn't move forward I will for sure change Drs and go back to him once I am pregnant. I have to say I really appreciate your responses, they have helped me get courage to continue on. I keep thinking it will happen but I must accept it won't without help and move on. I can honestly say I am scared.
    *BFP warning*
    *Child mentioned*
    TTC #2. Daughter born July 17th of 2013. 
    PCOS, Endo, Insulin Resitance. 

HSG done Sep 17- tubes unblocked! SA done- came back good! Hysteroscopy done Nov7- No uterus issues 

On 2550mg a day Metformin. 
    Round 1 of Clomid- 100mg CD3-7  BFN- Clomid left a huge cyst, AF arrived after 40 day cycle- BFN
    Round 1 of Femara- 10mg CD2-6 Mid cycle scan showed two follies (31mm and 27mm), trigger shot- BFN
    Benched out December- BFN
    Round 2 of Femara- BFP!!! First beta at 10dpo- 28 Second beta at 12 dpo- ?