June 2015 Moms
Options

How long are your baby's naps?

It's hard for me to get my son to take decent naps during the day. Well, for most days anyway. He will start to doze off but then usually wakes up within a half hour or less. I've tried putting him in the swing, and crib. His legs are too strong to swaddle anymore, he just kicks out of it and the blanket goes over his face, so I've stopped doing that. He takes about an hour long nap in the morning, then eats, then about another hour long nap, but that's it for the day. Is anyone else having trouble getting their baby to nap during the day?

Re: How long are your baby's naps?

• Options
    Feel free to post this in the "daytime sucks" thread!
  • Options
    Have you tried a halo sleep sack? If swaddling used to work, it may be worth a shot!
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll try that thanks!
  • Options
    Mine (10wks) takes (3) 30-60min at a time depending on the day and takes (30) min nap. Up around 6-8am and goes to bed no later than 8pm. It took a week to institute a schedule. I swaddle her and use soothing music and occasionally pacifier (she hates it and it never stays in her mouth). On a bad day it takes 20mins to get her down. Good day is 10-15mins. The best way I found out is to really observe your baby one day and de will cue you in on when she wants/needs to nap and it makes it so much easier. Also, after your baby finishes eating, have them up for 90mins then put them down for a nap. I've been following that method and it's worked to the T! So if she's up at 8 and nurses till 8:30am, by 9:45 am I start getting her ready and calm for a 10am nap. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    My LO is a little over 12 weeks and catnaps during the day. 20-30 minutes. It's tough but I would much rather him sleep at night which thankfully he goes for 5-6 hours now.
  • Options
    my son naps 4 naps a day. They are between 60-90 minutes each. He is on a schedule which I think helps. He, however, used to rarely nap, until one week the bump said to try letting the baby rub their face on blankets. We gave my son a blankie for him to rub his face on and he fell asleep, we watch him then remove it since I don't want it to accidentally cover his face. He now rubs his face on the blankie to sleep and even calms him when he gets fussy when we're out! If we leave the blankie at home we get panicked lol
  • Options
    Anywhere between 5 mins and 3 hours lol
  • Options
    My baby must be weird - she only naps in LONG stretches, like 2+hours. So she has long awake periods and long sleep periods.
  • Options
    @hbornzin I never heard to do this before. Huh. I am going To have to try it!
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

My baby must be weird - she only naps in LONG stretches, like 2+hours. So she has long awake periods and long sleep periods.

Mine has some days like this and some days of cat naps. I have no clue what the difference in days are. I feel kind of bad that I don't have him on a schedule.
  • Options
    @amccoy129 ditto, but I don't feel bad. He's thriving and he needs to fit into our lives, which don't have a schedule. I've seen too many parents whose lives stop or are miserable because everything revolves around the baby's schedule - and I refuse. If LO were unhappy, I'd feel differently.

@hbornzin That's interesting about letting them rub their own faces. When I was a baby and kid, my father would use the corner of my blanket to rub my face, and it would put me out.
    I will try your method, thanks!
  • Options
    She's anywhere between 30 and 2 hours. She rubs her head on my chest when she's sleepy and then I put her down!
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 that's exactly how I feel and luckily this baby travels well, seems to enjoy being out, and naps anywhere. If that changes, then I guess I'll reconsider what I'm doing big right now he's happy.
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

Mine is this way usually as well!