Trouble TTC
Options

New Kid on the Block

Hi friends, my name is Megan and I'm new to this forum. My husband and I have been TTC for what feels like an eternity. I have no diagnosable conditions that would be causing this (nor does he). However, I did receive immunotherapy (similar to chemo) when I was 18. No doctor I've seen can give me any clear statistics on how this may have affected my ability to have children. Although I was warned of infertility issues at the time, they were vague. The fact of the matter is, most folks who have received the treatment that I received are past the age where they'd be TTC. Therefore, there's not any real data on the matter.

Anyway, that's my story. Just looking for some emotional support as I go through this process.

Thanks for having me!

Re: New Kid on the Block

• Options
    Welcome! I'm sorry that you have to be here, but this is a great and supportive group :)

I wish that there were more statistics and more insight that your doctors could give you. Have you tried any infertility treatment yet? The whole process can be very deflating and scary. As much as I want treatment, I have also been pushing it off because I feel like such a failure.
  • Options
    Welcome! That must be frustrating not to know the results of your prior treatment. Ate you currently seeing an RE, what have you done, if anything, other than traditional, natural attempts at getting pregnant? If nothing, have a thought about going to an RE?

@CopperLane I understand the feeling of failure and it's fear, but I would encourage you to push past it and seek treatment. It can actually make you feel like you have a bit more control in the situation, and you will know a little more about how (and if) your body is responding and what can be done for better results. I felt a bit more liberated after obtaining treatment, and I wish I would have seen an RE earlier.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @riveridgional @copperlane Thanks for your welcoming responses! I have not sought out an RE yet. My OB had been encouraging us to keep trying for a while longer. She has been trying to reassure me that there shouldn't be any reason to have to pursue any kind of fertility treatment. It's just really frustrating and nerve racking. I really love my OB; she's patient and kind. However, I'm having a hard time not feeling like my concerns are being taken seriously.

I also totally get feeling like a failure. It's hard not to have feelings like, "this is what my body was intended for, why isn't it doing what it was made to do???".

It's helpful just to have a forum to talk to people who have been there/are there too.
  • Options
    @mgrote85 I certainly understand the hope that the OB can help before needing an RE, and the loyalty you can feel towads your doctor. Given your particular situation, however, I think you really should make an appointment with an RE. He/she may know of a blood test or another way of determining whether your eggs were damaged by your earlier treatment. My RE let's me go at my own pace. My treatment options have a escalated a bit quicker than I wanted but at least I can take months off to clear my head and regain positivity. I'm also relieved that I won't be wasting time on other medications that were only decreasing my chances of pregnancy. I wasted 3 rounds with my OB on meds that hurt my chances.

I know it seems like an overwhelming, big step, but it really is a large leap forward in helping you obtain your dream of motherhood. I wish you the best in your journey and decision making.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

• Options
    @mgrote85 one great thing about my RE, similar to PP is that she takes me seriously and she pushed my appt earlier than her office staff booked me because I mentioned I was getting impatient. At my appt she gave me several plans to help my husband and I conceive, and listened to my concerns and took them into account. I got all my testing but I've just been stubborn about starting treatment yet. I've rarely had a doctor take me so seriously before, it took me years to even get diagnosed with PCOS because I'm not the "typical" case.

You may find that an RE is more likely to take you seriously. They see infertility and unexplained infertility ALL THE TIME and they know how to help their patients emotionally as well. My RE suffered from infertility too, so she "gets" it. You might even find that your RE has treated a case similar to yours.
  • Options
    I ran across the below when I was doing some Internet surfing and thought I would pass the info along to you in case you would qualify and didn't know these resources were out there:
    Fertility Preservation Program
    Walgreens has partnered with Ferring Pharmaceuticals Inc. to offer products and resources to women facing fertility complications from cancer treatment.

Visit www.heartbeatprogram.com www.heartbeatprogram.com
    Heartbeat preserving the future

If you do seek help from an RE and need medications, this program may be able to assist you. I'mnot familiar with immunotherapy to know if you had to do it from cancer, but wanted to pass it along JIC
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14

• Options
    It does feel like forever!
    It's amazing to have a few people around who know that feeling...

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @mgrote85 Welcome and I am sorry you have to be here. Infertility is a very hard thing to go through. How log have you been TTC? I know you said you have a great OB, but this isn't her speciality. I agree with @riveridgional that you should see a RE. I bet you'd feel a lot better afterwards and they can do more testing that will let you know if there is anything else going on. It is definitely worth a shot.

@CopperLane Get on it woman! What are,you waiting for? lol I put off going to a RE as long as possible, mainly because insurance. I'm so glad I've found some help. I hope and pray that I end up with my BFP, and soon!

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018