January 2015 Moms

Feeding at 7 months??

kirstiexkirstiex member
edited August 2015 in January 2015 Moms
my baby will be 7 months old in a couple of days and at the minute the only food I give him is either a bit of porridge or a rusk in the morning with a bottle and at tea time I give him half a jar of food and a bottle, shall I start giving him just food at tea time and a drink of something else or something?? I'm not sure I'm a first time mum, can you recommend anything?? Thanks x

Answers

• We do 1-1.5 oz of puree (fruit, vegetables, meats) with some finger foods (small pieces), followed by 8oz of formula. We have four feeding a day. When I consulted or pediatrician I was advised that babies should be drinking bottles till about a year old and food is mostly for learning typo eat.
  • Hi
    I recently read a quote that I've found quite comforting, as my LO is not very efficient at eating! The quote is- 'food is fun until you're one'. So at this age it's more about food being an activity or experience than anything to do with nutrition or sustenance!
    Hope that eases your mind a little.
  • Loading the player...
  • Lovey210Lovey210 member
    edited August 2015
    It might depend on how your baby takes to solids but when we started solids and finger foods she lost interest in her bottles. Our pediatrician told us when we started solids it was normal for her to drop a bottle or two and as long as she continues gaining weight it isn't a problem, I would check with yours as every baby is different and has different needs. With that in mind we continue with 3 bottles a day and really focus on providing nutritious finger foods. We were also told It's also a good time to start introducing a small amount of water into their diet , about 2-4oz/day, it also helps to get them used to a sippy cup. We typically give a 6oz bottle when she wakes in the morning , after her morning nap and before bed. We offer finger foods/purees usually about 1.5-2hrs after each bottle and let her eat as much as she wants. As long as you offer healthy foods there's really no need to regulate how much solids your baby consumes. We also offer water at each "meal". Formula/breast milk and water should be the only thing you offer to drink at this age, no juice or cows milk. Think of solids as a "side dish" to his bottle, don't try to replace a bottle feeding with solids, it will happen in its own time. As your baby starts eating more solids he'll consume less formula/breast milk. Hope this helps :)

• I glad I read these! I'm not new to the group but I really didn't post much after my little guy was born. Lincoln will be 8 months old on  Sept 9 and he is really not interested in food at all! He watches you eat with interest but pushes everything out of his mouth. He has also yet to get any teeth though