April 2015 Moms
Options

Pumping taking FOREVER

Lately it is taking me FOREVER to pump. I have been pumping close to a hour now and milk is still coming out. Is that normal? I'm not producing that much -- have about 4oz pumped so far this session, so I want to get every drop I can, but this seems a bit excessive.

Re: Pumping taking FOREVER

• Options
    Do you massage while you pump? That may speed things up. Have you changed membranes recently? Or maybe turn up the suction? If I don't have it high enough the milk seems to trickle out.

Pumping is such a labor of love. I only do it once a day, but sometimes I have to give myself a pep talk beforehand to work up the motivation.
  • Options
    I have changed the membranes recently. Will try the other stuff now...as it is time to pump....again ^#(^ (I love my child, I love my child, I love my child...)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel ya, it takes longer to pump. I will change out my membranes that's a good idea. I was hoping my pump wasn't losing suction.
  • Options
    Manders71208Manders71208 member
    edited August 2015
    I just cranked up the juice and was able to cut my time in half. Thank you @jap09-02 for the recommendation. So simple - why didn't I think of that?!?!

@edelat11 - I thought I was loosing suction too before changing the membranes. That along with making sure the tube connections were tight made a huge difference.
  • Options
    Glad it helped! I've noticed that I have to crank it up more now than I did initially. It seems once the engorgement is gone the pressure isn't there to force the milk out, so you need more suction. I sometimes have to turn it up even part way through my pump session.
  • Options
    It takes a while for me, we're all different. Jealous of a friend who gets 5-6 oz in 10 mins, I'm sitting here squeaking out 3-4 and it takes me 20 mins each time. I find if I crank up the suction too much I just get sore blanched nips, so I opt for slow and steady
  • Options
    Lots of water, too! I find the day after not drinking enough water my well is pretty dry and it's frustrating!
  • Options
    Complainers! Try exclusively pumping!
  • Options

Complainers! Try exclusively pumping!

Oh, I've done it all! EP'd from 6 weeks on with DD1, including a power pump from 10-11pm every night & waking at 5am every morning. I feel ya. Pumped at work and feed from breast while home with DD2, and DS has yet to even have a bottle since he refuses. I went through the most painful open sore with DD2 because I was avoiding EP'ing a second time come hell or high water!
  • Options
    Definitely massage your breasts while you pump. It helps you get more milk out and boosts your overall supply. If your nipples are sore from pumping try using a little lanolin cream on them during each session. It really cuts down on the friction and the cream is totally safe for baby if any trace amounts make it into the bottle.
  • Options
    There's a great article from Stanford about using massage/ hand expression to boost supply while pumping btw: https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html