High-Risk Pregnancy

Small for gestational age

I recently went for my 36 week check-up and my doctor read my sonogram from 2 weeks prior and he said that my little girl due September 16 (but having c-section on the 9th) is small for her gestational age. They are concerned and want me to come in to the office twice a week for a BPP and NST. I'm really scared has anyone else experienced this??

Re: Small for gestational age

• Ultrasounds aren't exact. They just told my friend that she was having a 9 lb. baby and her baby weighed 7 lbs. They also told my sister that her baby had a big head, which they've been telling us, and her baby's head was normal sized at birth.
  • There is an IUGR thread and many small baby threads below where you'll find some good info! I would not be worried considering you are already 36 weeks. That's a great milestone. My baby has been small since 20 weeks and have been going weekly dopplers since 24 wks with growth checks every other week. So far everything is checking out so likely small baby. But I can't wait to get to at least 34-36 weeks when the likelyhood of not needing NICU is better! Yes like PP said ultrasound measurements are not always accurate but if you've measured under the 10th percentile 3 times already even if it wasn't completely accurate odds are its close.
  • Loading the player...
  • SGA (small for gestational age) and IUGR are completely different things. Your baby may just be constitutionally small but still receiving the proper nutrients through your placenta and the unbilical cord. It's sounds like they are monitoring your baby closely with the BPP's and NST's and you are so close to the end. I know it's hard not to worry but if your OB didn't diagnose IUGR, it's likely your baby is just constitutionally small.
    (I have an SUA cord so my little girl has always measured small, but her growth percentile hasn't dropped enough for my OB to diagnose IUGR....yet). I'm a little worried too because I have an appointment on Monday with my OB and I'll be 25w4d. I haven't gained any weight in the last month, so I'm fearful my LO is falling behind more and more. I try to just stay calm until and take things day by day.
    You are so close to the end and I hope everything turns out well for you and the baby. As long as your doctor is on top of the monitoring you are in good hands!
  • lynem29 said:

SGA (small for gestational age) and IUGR are completely different things. Your baby may just be constitutionally small but still receiving the proper nutrients through your placenta and the unbilical cord. It's sounds like they are monitoring your baby closely with the BPP's and NST's and you are so close to the end. I know it's hard not to worry but if your OB didn't diagnose IUGR, it's likely your baby is just constitutionally small.
    (I have an SUA cord so my little girl has always measured small, but her growth percentile hasn't dropped enough for my OB to diagnose IUGR....yet). I'm a little worried too because I have an appointment on Monday with my OB and I'll be 25w4d. I haven't gained any weight in the last month, so I'm fearful my LO is falling behind more and more. I try to just stay calm until and take things day by day.
    You are so close to the end and I hope everything turns out well for you and the baby. As long as your doctor is on top of the monitoring you are in good hands!

Yes they are different but you can be both. You are classified IUGR if you are under 10th percentile after two growth scans. But that doesn't mean you have a growth restriction and can just be SGA. Sometimes they never know. All my cord flow dopplers and placenta checks have been perfect along with genetic and infection testing but I am still IUGR Bc under 10th percentile. Although it is likely my baby is just SGA. Just no way of knowing 100 percent! 30 weeks tomo and just had a measurement though. Baby gained 275g in 3 weeks.. Yey! They said they want to see 150g every 2 weeks at least. Now 2lb 13 oz which I think is right around the 10th percentile.

• @lynem29 I know exactly what you're going through, except my issue is a "stiff" placenta! Baby is at 19% and I alternate all day long between eating and praying that this baby does not dip further below! I'm struggling to put on weight also, can't tell if baby has grown in the past two weeks. I'm 25 weeks and have a growth scan tomorrow, hoping and praying all goes well. Good luck and keep me posted on your appointment too!
  • They say the same thing about my baby as well, but it is expected as I have chronic HTN prior to pregnancy.  I am due Sept 17th, but they are inducing Sept 10th.  They have started NST 2x/week and I will have my 8th ultrasound on the 3rd.  She continues to be about a week behind so far, but otherwise is very healthy.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I have yet to gain any weight either and still my OB isn't too concerned.  With my older daughter she measured 2.5 weeks ahead and then only ended up being 6 lbs 12 oz.  Ultrasounds estimate weight by length of femur and aren't very reliable in that regard. I am sure your baby is fine!  
  • @azimum thank you for the support! Fingers crossed that your growth scan tomorrow results in good news!! My next scan is going to be scheduled on Monday so I'll update when I know when it will be. Let me know how tomorrow goes!
  • Yea think today was my 8th US. But they haven't once mentioned my smaller weight gain or diet as a concern. I electively have been trying to get more protein which may be helping. Today since baby grew more than anticipated they said just keep doing what I'm doing. 9th percentile (up from 6th 3 weeks ago). She said if I get to 10th I will no longer have the diagnosis. So I really wouldn't worry unless under that! I mean someone's gotta be in the 10th right ?! That's 10 percent of all babies! 30 weeks tomo.. Home stretch!
  • @azimum any updates on the growth scan last week? Hoping it went well for you and your LO.
  • @lynem29 growth scan went well thank God! Baby is hanging in there at 20%, and although she's still small the dr was encouraged to see interval growth. Also thought I would mention I actually lost a pound in my own weight, so all the ladies struggling with weight gain I guess it's not necessarily indicative of how baby is doing? @lynem29 did you get your appt scheduled?
  • @azimum I had my OB appt this morning and I'm behind in my fundal height by over 3cm and haven't gained any weight in a month so I have an US on Wednesday morning. My OB almost sent me to L&D to be monitored but the Doppler velocimetry was normal, heart rate was in the high 140's like it always is and my little girl has been moving up a storm consistently for weeks now. Now I'm just anxiously waiting! She was 33rd percentile @ 19w and my US will be one day shy of 26w so I'm worried a lot wil have changed :(
    I'm glad your LO is growing and holding steady in percentile! That's awesome news :)
  • My baby girl measured in the 20th percentile at my 37 week us. And I also lost a pound. However, it is common to lose a couple pounds towards the end of pregnancy...so don't stress about that. My dr wasn't concerned he said I'm a slender woman, makes sense that I'm gonna have a smaller baby. 20th percentile is good, mama!
  • I was going to say the same thing about weight. I had only gained 1 lb my last 6 weeks of pregnancy. Baby was born at 7lbs at almost 39 weeks. She kept getting bigger but I didn't.

• mac-n-cheesymac-n-cheesy member
    edited August 2015
    @azimum update: baby girl is now measuring at the 42nd percentile. So in 7 weeks she has jumped from 33rd to 42nd. Hooray for good news!!!! They didn't look at the cord blood flow (she has a single umblical artery) because my doctor apparently didn't indicate to...so that was a bummer but the growth jump has made me so much less anxious :D
  • I go back in 4 days for a repeat sono and then based on those results they will decide if induction is the best route for us to take for baby girl. I had a normal appt today and the dr said, "I think you may have grown, but certainly not substantially." He says I am borderline SGA and IUGR. So I guess we will see on Tuesday. I wish he had just done a scan while I was there today so I could have peace of mind one way or another
  • @lynem29 OMGGGGG how exciting!!!!! that is such an impressive jump!! did you do anything different or special in the last couple of weeks that you think may have contributed to baby's growth? 

@seamonkey4 good luck at the next scan! how far along are you now?
  • @azimum I increased my protein two-fold in he past 6 weeks but with SUA the consensus is that no matter what you eat the baby will grow as much as the abnormal cord will allow. My OB also cautioned me that growth restriction tends to show up 30-32 weeks and beyond with SUA if it isn't present very early on. Only time will tell. I'm very surprised considering I'm 26w+1 pregnant, and for my height my BMI just hit over 18.5 (normal weight). I've been underweight almost entirely my first and second trimesters but somehow my little one is getting what she needs. I eat extremely healthy and clean though and try to focus on nutrient dense foods.
  • @azimum ,I'm 38+2 today. So baby girl would be born at a good gestational age if I do have to be induced. Hoping she's just small but otherwise well developed!