September 2015 Moms

Clean up after water breaks

I'm so afraid I'm going to be in bed, on my new couch, or car when my water breaks. How do u clean it? Does it stain?
Married 9/5/14
Me:24/Hubbs:29

Re: Clean up after water breaks

• To add to this really good question, does it leave a smell too? I'm scared that it'll break on my couch or something and sit there while I'm
    In the hospital for so long and ruin it
  • I don't know the actual awnwser to this either but they did tell us at our birthing class it has a very clean smell usually? lol though I wouldn't imagine it's laundrey fresh :-/
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been told it doesn't smell or stain. I know some women as they get closer start sleeping with a towel or pee pad under them or between the sheet and matress. You could also put one down before you sit, just in case. I'm going to leave a towel or two in my car but I'm not really worried since most women's water doesn't break as a first sign.
  • I don't have that answer but I use a waterproof crib pad under my side of the mattress just in case. I also read to drive with a towel under you just in case but I keep forgetting to do that.
  • ^ waterproof crib pad is a genius idea
  • The only thing to be concerned about is if there is meconium or blood. Clear fluid should be just fine. If you do as other suggested and use a waterproof liner you won't have to worry at all. I have put big black trash bags on my mattress, under my sheet, before.

My water broke once, when I was in bed. I actually didn't get anything on the bed though. I was laying on my side when it broke and when I jumped up I soaked my own pants.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • However I hadn't thought about my couch! I need/want to put something on it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I bought a mattress pad that's water and stain proof from target just in case. I also put a towel a beach towel folded under my car seat cover. The couch I'm not on too much so I didn't know what to do.
  • I am scared that my water will break at work and then how will I clean it up and myself before going to L &D?!!!
  • I go with the disposable changing pads. I have one under a towel on the seat of my new car and one under my sheets. It doesn't really, stain or smell though, and it's not the first thing that happens. 

• I just got a new position at my school, and now work in a small office/room that is completely carpeted and had upholstered chairs. The building is only 3 years old, too. I hate to think I will ruin any carpet/furniture!!! At least it is all dark in color, and everyone who has experienced this seems to have encouraging advice :) (with #1 my water never broke on its own).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kanga915kanga915 member
    edited August 2015
    babs02 said:

I don't have that answer but I use a waterproof crib pad under my side of the mattress just in case. I also read to drive with a towel under you just in case but I keep forgetting to do that.

I did this with my first pregnancy and was glad I did. I did break my waters in bed. We stripped the bed and washed everything while I labored at home and my mom put fresh sheets on the bed so it was ready for us when we came home. I don't remember there being any color or odor to the fluid. For me it was a gush but not a huge amount, it was kind of like an average mug of coffee's worth of fluid. I continued to leak for hours though so I had to wear pads.

Eta the waterproof pad is also good for post partum as a backup if you're having a heavy bleeding day. Then you can use it in the crib or when potty training for overnight accidents, so it's a good investment (cheap anyway, I think mine was $9 at Bed Bath and Beyond)
  • With #1 I had a towel under the sheet on my side of the bed, but had my water broken in active labour at the hospital. We ended up getting a mattress pad later though because of my fountain-like letdown BFing in bed. So this time I just put the cover back on :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I felt a little *pop* and stood up from bed, and got only panties wet. I went to the restroom because I wasn't sure what happened and it started coming out in a gush with each step. I kept soaking pads just trying to get to DH to tell him. I suggest anything mentioned above. And also keep pads (BIG pads!) with you in your purse or desk, wherever. I sat on a towel in the car on the ride to the office, and had to borrow a pad there because I'd soaked through all mine!! :(
    For color, mine ranged from light pink, straw, or clear colored. The best description of smell I've heard was that it has an earthy/dewy smell. I know that doesn't make sense, but once you smell AF it will!! :)
  • I work on a farm where we sell fresh produce. I'm worried about my water breaking while in behind the stand and it's going to get all over the produce... That would be awful. Here's to hoping my water doesn't break at work. I would much rather it break on my bed or in my car than at work.
  • I'm lucky in that most of my house has hard wood floors, but i hadn't thought about my water breaking while in bed or on the couch until now.....

Thanks, ladies. Now I'm thinking about it. Lol.

I actually joke with my co-workers about my water breaking at work moreso. I work gallery security in a large art museum and can just imagine me calling it on the radio....

"Control. Please send environmental with a mop to Gallery xxx. My water broke. Boss, I need to leave now...."

I have no idea if it will actually happen that way but I find it hilarious, as do my co-workers. The museum is mostly marble, concrete, or wood floors.
  • I was standing when mine broke but it was so small it didn't leak out of my pants.

I would just invest in a mattress cover. It'll be good to protect your mattress from kids lol. I didn't get one until my toddler vomited all over my brand new mattress. Now that stunk.
  • Last time when I had a leak it was clear and didn't smell like anything, luckily it was on my tile floor in the bathroom, but I have a bed protector anyway for our bed anyway because of the warranty on it haha. I don't think it's gonna be like a gallon of fluid though, maybe like 8oz?
  • DH and I have put together a game plan for the water breaking (stripping the sheets and throwing them in the wash, towels everywhere, etc) , but it's a huge joke with my band about it breaking on stage (my last show is actually this weekend and I'm only 35 weeks so it's pretty unlikely). The guys keep threatening to bring a tray like the ones you use under a washing machine to catch "the flow". I swear if they actually show up with one I'll die laughing LOL
  • With my first the doctor broke my water at the hospital so I don't really know but we put a protective cover under our sheet just in case. These answers do make me feel better, I have been afraid to sit on the couch or even in the car with it's cloth seats! LoL
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine broke in bed. I had a mattress cover as I'm allergic to dust, so this prevented the mattress from getting stained. The smell is like "sex" if you know what I mean. We just grabbed the sheets, threw them in the hamper and left.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We bought a really expensive mattress a year ago and so I went out and bought myself a mattress pad to put under my side of the bed so as not to ruin the mattress if it does happen at night.  I will say though--it makes you even hotter in bed in addition to the mini furnaces we have in our bellies! :)  I will say you ladies brought up a good point about the couch or car... I didn't think about those!