March 2016 Moms
Options

Theme Park at 31wks, am I crazy?

Okay so I need you ladies to let me know if I'm crazy or not.  My brother and sister in law are going to the Harry Potter celebration at Universal Orlando at the End of January, at which point I will be 31wks pregnant.  It is a 3 day long event, but the events are at different times morning noon or night and I can take it easy the whole weekend.  We really want to go with them and I just want honest opinions if you guys think it will be too much.

I know I need to go at my own pace, stay hydrated, the plane doesn't scare me at all, and I obviously wont go on any of the rides, it will just be for the atmosphere, food, and the event.  What frightens me is I'm not sure what is going to happen in the upcoming months and if I get put on bed rest then I'm obviously out of the game and also out the 1200 to go for the weekend, or DH can go without me.  I called Universal and they basically said if something happens they can't confirm or deny that I would get my money back a complete line of BS.

Anyway what do you think? What would you do?
BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"

Re: Theme Park at 31wks, am I crazy?

• Options
    ecwkecwk member
    Eurgh I'm in a slightly similar dilemma. I plan to fly transatlantic at Christmas when I'll be around 28weeks. All things going well I should be fine but if I can't fly I'm out a lot of money. I've been looking into finding third party insurance to at least cover some of the flight price in the event that I can't fly. Do you know if there is anything like that you could look into? And OMG I would find it verrrrrrrry hard to say no to a Harry Potter trip to Universal! I guess only you can make the call and what it comes down to is are you willing to risk that money? If I were you I'd also have a word with my doc to get their opinion. Good luck, I hope you get to go!!!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    By 30 weeks I feel like a whale and I'm so uncomfortable.  The idea of walking through a theme park and just being on my feet that long sounds like torture to me. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    I'm in a similar situation...My family has been planning a week-long trip over Christmas time, we will be flying transatlantic. I'll be about 27/28 weeks by then. I already talked to my doctor - she said I will need to come in the week before we leave for the trip to make sure everything is OK. She emphasized the importance of water and walking while traveling, but didn't seem to think it would be an issue. 

I understand you fear of losing lots of money if plans fall through. We purchased travel insurance, so maybe we could get some money back if things fell apart. Knowing I'm traveling with my husband and parents eases my mind, they will look out for me! 

Remember, anytime you have traveled anywhere (pre-pregnancy) and booked flights months in advance, there is always a chance something could happen before you go (getting the flu, etc) that could cause you to have to cancel or change plans. 

• Options
    I flew to Italy at 32 weeks, spent ten days with my crazy family, hiked in the snow and had a ton of fun. I didn't ski, obviously, but I was fine doing pretty much everything else.

I say you're totally fine, go for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I say go for it! It will be a great experience. Just take it easy as needed.
  • Options
    I would do it!  At 31 weeks you should still be feeling decent, especially if you can manage to stay in pretty good shape between now and then (walking, etc), plus it shouldn't be too hot then.  
  • Options
    Do you have to decide now? Can you wait till you're closer to see how you feel? 

• Options
    I was the fattest lady in the block by 30ish week so walking all day just sound awful, plus I would just be super jealous when everyone gets on the ride while I wait outside.  For those reason I would skip.  By then my blood pressure was pretty high and I was very swollen.  I remember my OB told me to stay indoor (the weather was getting warm) but move around where possible.
  • Options
    Stay active and walk alot to prepare yourself for it. But I say go for it! 

I traveled to Colorado at 32 weeks for a wedding and my only issue was my ankles/feet kept on getting swollen and I found I needed to sit down quite frequently. But otherwise I had a great time and am really happy I went. I did a lot of walking at altitude while there, no issues other than frequent breaks to rest.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LoALoA member
    We have annual passes to Disneyland and I was taking my older son while I was pregnant with my 2nd well into the final weeks before my due date... I do think the fact that it was a weekly thing all through my pregnancy helped though. You could totally do it if walking long periods or being on your feet is something your body is accustomed to. Just be mentally prepared to handle annoying crowds! GL
  • Options
    Do you have to decide now? Can you wait till you're closer to see how you feel? 
    Tickets go on sale tomorrow so it is unfortunately a decision I have to make now.
  • Options
    I think you ladies have convinced me to go for it.  Who knows what the future holds but for now Universal is in my future and I will definitely be making use of the pool :-)
  • Options
    You should be able to do it if you're a pretty active person. I agreed with the pp that said to start walking now! Sounds like fun!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    You can totally visit a theme park but no roller coasters!!!
  • Options
    Am I the only one whose doctor doesn't let patients travel after 30 weeks?

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    You can totally visit a theme park but no roller coasters!!!
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but if not thanks for assuming I'm dumb :-)
  • Options
    My first appointment is tomorrow morning, I will be sure to ask her what she thinks.  After that I will have an hour to decide based on what she says.
  • Options
    Mine was fine with going above 10000 ft at 35weeks pregnant. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    I would totally go with doctor's clearance!  I'm 34w6d and I'd definitely go right now if I could!  I love HP! lol
  • Options
    Everyone is different and you won't know till you're 31 weeks. When I was 31 weeks I was miserable, sleep deprived (couldn't sleep from the awful acid reflux), had swollen feet and had gained 70lbs on a 110lb frame. There's no way I could have done an amusement park. Mind you, I felt awesome at 20 weeks and walked all over Rome. Things flipped that quick. However,right around the time I was wallowing in my misery I met a woman who was 38weeks and still working in her co-op job out in the hot August sun every day in the field tending vegetables and she was perfectly fine. It's a gamble and no one can weigh the risks better than you. You know you and your body. I really don't think any of us here can help you.
  • Options

Mine mentioned during my first appointment that travel is OK up until 6 weeks til EDD, pending her final OK. I was already planning a 30th/60th birthday celebration trip for my DH and mom for about 15 people and she said traveling to Mexico in January is fine as long as I am comfortable with it.

Not sure how I feel about being outside of the country that close to due date though so I may be rethinking our destination.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    When I was pregnant with DD my husband and I had a beach week planned with a bunch of our friends (I would be 33 w at the time of the trip). We rented a beach house right on the beach, it was only a 3 hour drive to the beach house. 2 weeks before the trip I went into preterm labor and was stuck in the hospital for 3 weeks and then on bed rest at home for another 2 weeks. We lost $1300. Could you purchase flight insurance so that you would at least get that money back? I would hate for you to lose $1200.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimageimage
    BFP #1 1/16/11 EDD 9/21/11 DD born 9/26/11
    BFP #2 6/16/12 EDD 2/25/13 MC @ 10w
    BFP #3 7/17/15 EDD 3/25/16
  • Options
    I did Disneyland at 30 weeks pregnant with my 2nd LO and was fine. It sucked not being able to ride any of the rides and it was so hott (97 degrees with 100% humidity), but everything turned out fine. 
  • Options
    Have fun!!
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Options
    Have fun!! :) 

My trip a few weeks ago went great. My tips for you are to drink TONS of water, wear compression socks (they really helped me with swelling and energy), stop and take breaks (always trying to keep up with everyone left me really feeling out of breath), walk around on the airplane and/or do leg exercises in your seat.  
  • Options

I just did Vegas over a long weekend and it was tiring, but doable! We walked A LOT and I didn't feel like I was starting to over-do it until the evening of day 3 (last day thank GOD). DH sat with me when I needed it and we just caught up with the group when I was ready.

Lots of water and comfy shoes. I took some "preventative" Tylenol before bed and in the mornings because I knew all of the walking was going to be rough on my hips and I think it made all of the difference. Good luck!!

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    holy! brought back all the way from Aug. 2015.. someone must have done some serious scrolling, hahaha!
  • Options
    @kyraaD I know how to use the search function :D
  • Options
    For the record I still think you're crazy.  I could NOT do a theme park right now!!  But have fun for all of us!
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options

@kyraaD I know how to use the search function :D

at least some people do around here, haha.
  • Options
    Have fun!! I want to go to the HP park one day! It looks awesome!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I'm going to go ahead and bump this thread to let you know I am now 30+ wks and my trip is this Thursday.  Honestly I feel great, but I have accepted the reality that if I need to rest I will rest, if I need a wheel chair I will get a wheel chair.  I will let you all know how it turns out.  Super excited!!

Aaaaah I remember answering on his thread. Woah, that was aaaaages ago pregnancy wise. Wow! Hope you have a blast !! :)

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Have fun!!! I love HP world! When everyone else is on rides treat yourself to frozen butter beer!!! It's amazing!!
  • Options
    Omg, more power to you!
    I don't even want to leave my house right now. Lol

In my defense I'm a bit further along (35w) and I swear you exponentially go downhill at the end.
  • Options
    EmilyXLCEmilyXLC member
    edited January 2016
    I have an annual pass to Walt Disney World & live about 20 minutes away.  Sunday my husband took me to Magic Kingdom & pushed me around in a wheelchair because I wanted to visit the place we got engaged one last time before the little one is born.

It wasn't ideal, but it sure beat sitting at the house.

EDIT - - I am a couple days away for 32 weeks, so I'm right there with you!
  • Options
    I did Disneyland at 28 weeks, and it was totally doable, if tiring, 13-14 miles a day! The big thing for me was carrying snacks around. I bought some of those fruit purree pouches that are supposed to be for kids and granola bars, fruit roll ups, fig newtons, etc. It was a total life saver!!
  • Options
    Have fun! We love HP. My DH wanted to take me for Christmas (we're Floridians) but I am one of those crazies that doesn't like crowds of people and foreigners due to illnesses and there was just no way I would be comfy doing it while preggo! He ended up being really glad because the bigger I get, the more protective of my bump he's becoming. I don't think he'd have handled the crowds any better than me! Lol!

But have fun!!! My friends who live in Orlando go all the time and I'm so jealous, I can't wait to go one day!
  • Options
    Oh - and dress cute! Show off that bump! Just might get you to the front of the bathroom line or a seat on a crowded bench. Never hurts to get pregnancy sympathy from strangers :)