April 2015 Moms

How many times daily should my 4 month old be nursing?

I am concerned that my little 4 month old guy isn't nursing enough...how many times daily should he be nursing and for what duration? Ugh please help me!

Re: How many times daily should my 4 month old be nursing?

• I know it differs a lot from baby to baby, but my LO will be 4 months in 6 days and she nurses around 8 times per day for about 10 minutes each session (usually includes both sides). When I googled it a little while back it said babies at this age should be 3-5 hours in between feedings but mine still clusters from 6p-9p. As long as your LO doesn't seem frustrated during/after feedings then they are probably getting enough!
  • My little one will not go longer stretches during the day. He still eats every 2 hrs but at night he goes 7hrs. He is 4 months 2 days.
  • Loading the player...
  • We go anywhere from 2-4 hours during the day. I'd say he eats 6-8 times in a 24 hr period.
  • My almost four month old eats every 4 hours during the day, and feeds once at night (she'll go 6-7 hours straight sleep).
    I'm also worried she's not eating enough during her sessions, its like 5-10 mins. But I read that they get more efficient too.
  • Mine eats every 2 hours during the day (EBF) and during the night he'll usually do one longer stretch at the start (5-6 hours usually) then back to every 2 or 3 hours until morning. Each session is usually in the 5 minute range though at night he'll eat closer to 10 minutes. He's 4 and a half months.
  • This makes me a bit nervous reading these comments as my baby is much different. 4 months old. He nurses (bottle while I'm at work) every 3 hours and nurses about 20-25 minutes. (I exclusively pumped until recently so maybe it takes so long because he is still learning to nurse?) but he also sleeps 11-12 hours through the night. Is this acceptable?
  • Every single baby is different. As long as your baby is having wet diapers and dirty diapers (the number varies at 4 months and they don't have to have one e everyday) is content and gaining weight baby is just fine! :)
  • If it makes you feel better regarding the duration my lo takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes to nurse and she is ebf.
  • edited August 2015
    Baby boy eats 6-8 times a day including night time. He has been sleeping 8-9 hours at night without needing to eat. He goes about 3 hours without eating during the day but wants to eat a couple times 4-6 pm before his 6:30 pm bedtime. He is 4 months 2 weeks tomorrow.
  • 4 and a half months here (and he is breast fed) and he ate about 7 times a day at 4 months and is now hovering between 5 and 6 feedings a day. We just upped the amount of breast milk I'm leaving in bottles at daycare to encourage him to go longer stretches and drop consistently to 5...we will see. I think that might be on the lower end of normal (but he's gaining well and having enough diapers).
  • This makes me a bit nervous reading these comments as my baby is much different. 4 months old. He nurses (bottle while I'm at work) every 3 hours and nurses about 20-25 minutes. (I exclusively pumped until recently so maybe it takes so long because he is still learning to nurse?) but he also sleeps 11-12 hours through the night. Is this acceptable?

Sounds like baby is eating perfectly!! Just like adults, some babies eat fast while others eat at a slower pace. If your baby wasn't getting enough to eat, you'd know (fussiness, not enough wet diapers, not gaining weight, etc).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 4month 2week old twins nurse 4 times during the day & one 7oz formula bottle before bed. During the day they can go anywhere between 2 & 4 hours between feedings. And after their bottle they sleep thru the night so they go about 11/12 hrs till they eat again.