September 2015 Moms
Options

11 things you didn’t know about breastfeeding

bumptarabumptara admin
edited January 2016 in September 2015 Moms
Moms have super-powers, and breastfeeding is one of them! Some of these special skills are even passed along to baby. Did you know breastfed babies can identify their moms from milk scent alone? 

Check out more surprising facts about breastfeeding here

What other amazing breastfeeding facts can you share?

P.S. Let's take our friendship to the next level. Like us on Facebook

Re: 11 things you didn’t know about breastfeeding

• Options
    HellsAngel22HellsAngel22 member
    edited August 2015
    Interesting.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So if you are using donated breast milk it won't be exactly what the baby needs?
  • Options
    It won't be tailored to your baby, no, but it's still perfectly designed for human babies. Same with pumped milk in the freezer.

Straight from the tap it's slightly different at times of the day, depending on which child is feeding (with tandem nursing) and even temperature (higher water content in high heat).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    v1wwo said:

This stuff is amezing!
    In the beginning a new new new born will only eat a table spoon of colostrum (first milk) even though they are on the nipple for a very long time. The next day the baby can eat two table spoons and then three. On the third or forth day your hormones kick in and your breast start filling up with mature milk. Two types - watery, sweet milk that helps with thirst and then the fat, high calorie milk. So it's important to drain one breast at a time.
    Here is a picture of the two

What do you mean "drain one breast at a time?" Sorry I'm a FTM and don't understand.

• Options
    How do you know when your breast is empty?
  • Options
    babyplutbabyplut member
    edited September 2015
    It's funny because they actually will feel empty to the touch. When you touch a full breast and then touch a breast that has been emptied there is a big difference. I absolutley love breast feeding (even though I had a lot of problems doing it) can't wait for LO to come :)
  • Options
    How often do i need to pump after he gets here? FTM.
  • Options

How often do i need to pump after he gets here? FTM.

Depends on when you need to have milk saved up. I always wait 4 weeks before starting to pump. You don't want to pump too soon because it will signal to your body that the baby needs more milk, which can cause encouragement. If you can, wait until your body has figured out how much baby needs. It can also be stressful to pump really early and then not get a ton of milk. All of my friends who pumped before at least a month ended up stopping breastfeeding soon after because it was just too much.

I started pumping once or twice a day after LO nursed after the one month mark. By the time I had to go back to work (12 weeks) I had more than enough stored in the freezer for him.
  • Options
    So one month after he gets here is the safest bet. How long can you breastfeed?
  • Options

So one month after he gets here is the safest bet. How long can you breastfeed?

It was the safest bet for me. I remember the lactation consultant stressing not to pump right away and it worked well.

Do you mean how long in total or each session? I breastfed DS1 for 13 months.
  • Options
    How long each session.
  • Options
    Until baby is done/comes off and won't go back on. Every baby is different because of your unique letdown/capacity, etc. M usually nursed for 10min max, one of my friends needed 45min per feeding for months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Until baby is done/comes off and won't go back on. Every baby is different because of your unique letdown/capacity, etc. M usually nursed for 10min max, one of my friends needed 45min per feeding for months.

Exactly this. DS1 took 45-60 minutes each feeding for the first few months until he figured out how to be efficient. DS2 only takes 10-15 minutes. Watch the baby, not the clock.
  • Options
    Oky. Thank you.
  • Options
    I pumped once just because my breasts felt so enlarged and sore, I thought the ducts might have been clogged. I also started taking a breast feeding vitamin and bought some breast feeding cookies from babies r us. It has helped a lot!! Now, I think I'll just wait and only pump when necessary. I do need to save up a little for when i go back to work but I feel that I have plenty of time plus I'll have the milk i pump for while I'm at work.
  • Options
    Any mamas recommend any nipple cream? I got some lanisoh to help in the beginning. I want to try something different once it's gone considering its $9 a small tube. TIA!
  • Options
    Well thats simple and convenient!! Thank you! @brit1983
  • Options
    I've been told that breast milk itself is a miracle worker. FTM still cookin, though.
  • Options
    I've been using these gel pads that you can put in fridge to sooth sore nipples. But... Do not use while wearing cream. It's also used to treat burn victims. So far I've really like using them.
  • Options
    So far, coconut oil is not working!! It was the first thing I tried. It didn't help with sore nips. Good luck!!!!
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to breastfeeding! It was such a special time with my first little son. We overcame so many challenges last time: let-down issues, supply issues, c section issues, disapproval from family, working and pumping... The list was crazy long.
    Having overcome these hurdles the first time, I feel that everything will be so easy this time :) can't wait!
    Hope this encourages others! If it's a big deal to you, you can overcome almost anything life throws at you. If I can, you can too.
    I second the PP, dry is better and it really is better to avoid any creams at all.
  • Options
    Breast milk then coconut oil has helped me. Air dry and then reusable fabric breast pads the one time use ones cause moisture. FTM almost gave up last week then breast milk came to the rescue. I use coconut oil as a lubricant for pumping
  • Options
    brit1983 said:

Exactly this. DS1 took 45-60 minutes each feeding for the first few months until he figured out how to be efficient. DS2 only takes 10-15 minutes. Watch the baby, not the clock.
    I learned today from my pediatrician that in the beginning you really want to encourage baby to eat for at least 30 minutes since this will help their stomachs to expand. With my first this wasn't an issue, but with my second I've really had to encourage him to get there. Otherwise I'm feeding him every hour for 10-15 minutes. The more they're able to eat at one feeding will help you get to longer stretches of sleep at night. As they get older they definitely become more efficient so the same rules may not apply for station of feedings.
  • Options
    Jenten810 said:

brit1983 said:

I learned today from my pediatrician that in the beginning you really want to encourage baby to eat for at least 30 minutes since this will help their stomachs to expand. With my first this wasn't an issue, but with my second I've really had to encourage him to get there. Otherwise I'm feeding him every hour for 10-15 minutes. The more they're able to eat at one feeding will help you get to longer stretches of sleep at night. As they get older they definitely become more efficient so the same rules may not apply for station of feedings.

This definitely makes sense, but I just cannot get my LO to nurse for more than 15 minutes. It's not that he always falls asleep, he just drops off and is done. I would love to go for more than 2 hours in between feedings, but he won't eat any more!
  • Options
    I've been trying to breastfeed but my hormones fell off when she was a day old and she got jaundice. We are still trying with the pump thing but I only get about 3 ozs total a day. My doc out me on metformin at the recommendation of my lactation consultant but because she is super gassy and spitting up I'm not certain that mixing the breast milk and the formula is a good idea.