May 2015 Moms
Options

weight gain Breastfed baby

my baby will be 3 months on Wednesday and has only gained 2oz since his last appointment which was at 2 months. Should this be concerning, he's been eating and sleeping good. His 2 month old weight was 13lbs 10oz and today he's 13lbs 12oz. Background info he has broncholits which we found out about 3 days ago. Could this be why he hasn't been gaining weight. Going to ask doctor on Monday about his weight, I'm just worried that he's not gaining much since about 3 weeks ago/

Re: weight gain Breastfed baby

• Options
    I personally would be concerned so it's good you have an appointment. It might be due to the bronchitis but it's still good to get LO checked out. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Hmm, my LO's 2 month appt she weighed 13.6 and 3 weeks later she's 14.5 so I guess I would be a little concerned. I'm not sure what's normal but broncholitis may have had something to do with such little gain. Good luck!
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would be extremely concerned. Breastfed babies should be gaining about 5-7 ounces PER WEEK. At this point!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I hope it's due to the broncholits, we've been to the doctor 2 times since his 2 month appointment and not one doctor has mentioned his weight gain/loss. Do they access every weight from each appointment to make sure baby is gaining and not losing weight?
  • Options
    My first only gained 1 pound between 2 months and 6 months (EBF). He was a great eater, great sleeper, and all around happy baby, so my doctor was not concerned. She said we could start rice cereal at 4 months if we wanted, but didn't push the issue at all. I didn't want to do rice cereal at all, so we just waited until 6 months and gave him real food. Talk to your pedi, of course, but if baby is eating great and generally content, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    My son is 3 months ( 14weeks). He was born 37 weeks gestation at 8lbs. Was discharged from nicu at 11pounds at 12 weeks old. He had a weight check 1 week from discharge and was 11lbs 7oz. So gained 1oz per day. And then on the 13th he was 11lbs 12oz so he gained 5oz in 8 days. My sons pedi and GI doctor both monitor weight closely.
  • Options
    My DD has broncholitis too. She was 9lb 9oz at two months and 11lbs now at 4 and she's EBF. She was five weeks early and started at 5lb 2oz and we do a weight check every time we have an appointment and my ped hasn't said anything yet. I'm hoping to talk about it more at her 4 month appointment this week, but she's rolling over and meeting all her milestones, so I'm not super concerned.