April 2015 Moms
Options

Transition out of swaddle/into crib advice?

mdaugherty8mdaugherty8 member
edited August 2015 in April 2015 Moms
my son (4 months) has been sleeping swaddled in a rock n play since he was born. (He has reflux and always spits up when flat on his back, so we kept him elevated in the rock n play when he was first born and it became the only way he would sleep). He also won't sleep at night unless swaddled. It's come that time where we really need to stop swaddling him and also put him in his crib. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? We've tried putting him in his crib un swaddled (awake, tired, and already asleep all 3), and he just wakes right up bright eyed and wiggling all over the place. After so long he cries. Help!

Re: Transition out of swaddle/into crib advice?

• Options
    We did it one step at a time. First we kept him swaddled, but transitioned him to the crib. To help this, I put a pillow at his feet to keep them a little elevated and pushed towards him so that it mimics the rock and play feel. I know you're not supposed to put anything in the crib out since he wasn't rolling over or moving much, I thought a pillow against the bottom of the crib was safe. We have done that for a couple weeks. Now we are transitioning out of the swaddle. We bought a zipadee zip. I have read wonderful reviews about them. It came in the mail today, so I'll let you know how that goes!
  • Options
    We started with naps in the crib keeping him swaddled. I had to go in multiple times each nap to comfort him abs help him back to sleep, but eventually he got it. We are still trying to figure out how to stop swaddling him. He loves the swaddle! He never breaks it of it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We broke the swaddle in steps. For a week or two, leave one arm out and unswaddled. Once he gets the hang of that and doesn't wake himself up with a flinging arm, leave both arms unswaddled. Eventually, you won't even need to wrap his legs. It is hard sometimes but give it a shot!
  • Options
    Yup, take one thing at a time. First transition to crib (maybe just for naps), then try one arm at a time unswaddled, alternating sides each sleep. Then you could try a sleep sack to keep arms free and legs still enclosed. I like the halo ones but there are plenty out there. Good luck!
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Options
    Agree. Try one step at a time. First try naps in crib, swaddled. You can start to swaddle the lower half, leaving one or two arms free. Then, start doing naps without swaddle. My pediatrician said the closer babies get to fourth months old, the more likely they will outgrow the reflex they get while sleeping that often makes them jump/move when they enter REM sleep.