January 2016 Moms
Options

Switching Insurances

wondering if any of you have experience with switching insurances while pregnant. We are currently insured through my husbands work, but he found a way better opportunity and put in his 2 weeks yesterday. Everywhere I have read says they can not consider pregnancy a pre existing condition. But I am so nervous!! I am working with my place of employment on picking me up on their insurance once we are no longer covered in his so that I don't have a lapse in coverage. I am just so scared that I am not going to be covered!! Anybody else go through this or have an advice? Thanks in advance!

Re: Switching Insurances

• Options
    I changed jobs a few weeks ago and had no problems getting new insurance with my new job. Shouldn't be a problem :)
  • Options
    Thank you so much! I am so overwhelmed lately. It's nice to hear someone say they have done it, I hate relying soly in the internet because it is hard to find reliable sources sometimes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started my paperwork today! My husband was a part of a large lay off and his insurance coverage for our family will drop off at the end of September. So we will be putting us on my employers starting Oct 1. We usually have my husband's insurance because it costs less out of pocket. So I know that we will have to start paying a lot more now for this pregnancy, but I'm sure that I'll be covered. With all the 'Obamacare' and health care laws right now I'm just assuming expecting mothers won't be left without care and coverage. : )
  • Options
    enkbenkb member
    We are insured through the Healthcare Marketplace because we are small business owners, and pregnancy is considered a 'special exception' which means you can sign up and start a plan any time, not just during open enrollment and they are specifically not allowed to deny you coverage for pregnancy. If all else fails or it works out to be a cheaper option for you, rest assured you can get coverage. They have been good over the phone for me to be able to ask questions if you just want to check it out.
  • Options
    skfgskfg member
    I believe that ACA got rid of the pre-existing clause and as PPs have said pregnancy is an exception.
  • Options
    I might be going through this too. My hubs is looking for a new job. If he gets one, we lose our insurance. I can get it through my employer, but it's just terrifying to think of being w/o insurance!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersbr>

• Options
    Pregnancy actually qualifies as an emergency life event which helps you get insurance quicker.
  • Options
    Thank you also much! You have all made me less stressed!