Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

GTKY- how did you meet your SO?

I mentioned this in the WTO thread, but thought it could be fun to share stories of how you meet your DH/SO and about your 1st date! It doesn't look like this was talked about anytime recently, so forgive me if I was a bad lurker today :) But it was a toss up between this, and a DRINK GIF thread, and thought I would try not to be the alcoholic of the group today!

DH and I met at the gym of all places. I am originally from Pittsburgh, living in NYC now. As a Pittsburgh-er I love all things Steelers, and wear Steeler tees to the gym a lot. I kept seeing this very handsome man at the gym, who also wore Steeler gear. A few weeks before the Steeler/Packer Superbowl, we started to randomly talk. Nothing more than a "good game last week" but, the day of the Superbowl, we made plans to meet up at the bar that he watches the game at to have a few drinks and watch it together. Sadly, they lost, but we spent all night and into the next evening together. And pretty much inseparable from that point! Now, 4 and a half years later, we are married and looking forward to having a family. Who says one night stands don't last :)

And, to fulfill my alcohol infused needs

Real Housewives Drinking animated GIF

cat fail animated GIF

Re: GTKY- how did you meet your SO?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I met my husband at work. We were both EMTs and worked on the ambulance together. 13 hour shifts in the same truck made it kind of difficult to ignore each other. Our first date was people watching at the 24 hour Walmart that's about an hour away from where we live. Getting off work at midnight our choices were limited but it was snowing so we bought hot chocolate, drove around in his truck and had the best night really getting to know each other.
  • Options
    kmd0501 said:
    I met my husband at work. We were both EMTs and worked on the ambulance together. 13 hour shifts in the same truck made it kind of difficult to ignore each other. Our first date was people watching at the 24 hour Walmart that's about an hour away from where we live. Getting off work at midnight our choices were limited but it was snowing so we bought hot chocolate, drove around in his truck and had the best night really getting to know each other.
    This sounds like a rom-com movie. Love it!

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I met H when we were both working at the same place when we were at college (Rock Chalk!). He would be super shy and not talk much around me for about 10 months. After my 21st birthday, my best friend and I went out and met up with him and his friends. We were good friends for about 6 years before we started dating. For those six years, we texted pretty much all day every day. I told him many times that I thought we were going to end up together. Funny how that stuff works out! Couldn't imagine my life without him!

• Options
    crzyforbabiescrzyforbabies member
    edited August 2015
    I met my husband on eHarmony, but we actually went to the same middle school, high school, and college. We were in all the same programs (theatre, choir, madrigals). We just never met until much later because he's 4 years older than me.

My DH and I also went to the same middle school, high school, and college. We lived down the street from each other, and rode the same bus. We were friendly, but never close. I started out at a different college, and then transferred to his college to finish up my degree. He worked in the same building where I had most of my classes, and asked me out on Facebook. I always wanted to marry someone from the county I grew up in. I didn't think much of him growing up, but he always thought I was cute, and we hit it off.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I also met my husband on Match.com.  After messaging we decided to meet for coffee on a Monday night.  We ended up staying until they closed.  Literally, we looked up and they had cleaned out the pastry case, cleaned everything and were just standing behind the counter waiting for us to go, already :)  He then walked me home which got him major bonus points.  We've been together 6.5 years, married almost 4 (two weeks from today is our anniversary)!

Oh, @yogahh and Kaydeeaye and my husband is a Steelers fan and got me to be a Penguins fan (I don't care much about football, so I usually am just like whatever, sure, go Steelers).

• Options
    ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    edited August 2015
    I met my husband during my freshman year of college.  We sat next to each other in Biology and were lab partners all semester.  We instantly clicked as friends but I was in a serious relationship at that time.  We remained really close friends until my relationship ended 5 years later.  DH just happened to be single too and we started hanging out and never stopped.
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • Options

I've known DH since I was 16. I was really into the rave scene at that time. DH and I were part of a online community and they'd do meet-ups at raves. I can't remember the specific time we met but it had to be at one of those meet-ups lol We didn't start dating till about 8 years ago.

I have a pic of us from 2001 at some party in so-cal :D DH still has that shirt somewhere lol

• Options
    We met in our middle school french class (7th grade for me and 8th for him). We started dating when I was in 8th/DH in 9th. Broke up at the end of my sophomore year. Didn't see or speak to each other until July 4th after I graduated HS (2 years after breakup). The next day he went to basic training so we wrote letters back and forth. When he came home for leave just before going to his base is when we officially started dating again, we went to a house party my friend had and that is where he asked me out. So I guess you could call that a first date… maybe. We were engaged for 5 years, married for 4, and dated 2 years in HS. I am only 27 so we have been together for just under half our lives.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    *Death mentioned*
    DH and I met while I was working the bar at a country club. He used to work at the same country club and came to catch-up with my boss. He was in town to see his dying grandmother who passed away the day after he got there, and his grandfather passed not even 10 days later. It was a very emotional time for him, and I was glad to be there to support him and be a ray of sunshine in the storm.

TTC + medicated cycles
    3/2015: Start TTC
    8/2015: PCOS Dx
    4/2016: BFP, Loss (4+5)
    2/2017: BFP

Honorable mentions: Biggest IF support sister, sweetest bumpie, most genuine, LFAFer you'd most like to visit, great things come in small packages, pocket sized babe
  • Options
    I met DH our freshman year of college at a Christian campus organization, we became best friends and were always spending time together with out group. We didn't start dating until sophomore year. We both ended up going Greek, and became each other's fraternity or sorority sweethearts. So we have been together almost 10 years married for 4 of those. I don't really remember dates because we were in college so mostly we needed to eat for free so we could save all our money for the weekend. :)

• Options
    DH and I also met through an online dating site. However, we knew all the same people, so it was funny that we had never come across each other before in real life.

• Options
    MamaBish said:
    Bump and grind at a dance club/bar. Yup.

I believe it was this super romantic song:

OMG that song always makes me think of Chris Rock's bit on defending rap music..."skeet, skeet, skeet."
  • Options
    OkCupid... turns out he worked right across the street from me! We met for dinner at a thai restaurant and have been inseparable ever since :) 
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• Options
    @vj20000111111 @meltwithyou yay for HS sweethearts!
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited August 2015
    I met my DH when I was a freshmen in high school and dated his friend. I was like he is soo cute and sweet and when my boyfriend cheated on me, I dumped him and then quickly started going after him ;) Sadly though we broke up over the summer but still stayed friends and some times friends with benefits. Then the summer after my first year in college we hung out a lot to the point all of his friends started asking me if we where dating again and I had to sit him down and be like all your friends are asking me if we are dating, you have 24 hours to decide the answer to the question. (He is very shy and does not like change) Later that night he said yes he would like to date me and we have been together ever since then. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options

H and I had some mutual friends and had been at a few of the same parties, but we actually spoke for the first time at a Spice Girls reunion show (we were both too old and "cool" to enjoy Spice Girls at their peak, but Spice World is forever a guilty pleasure).  I was in full Baby Spice drag so it makes for some interesting memories!

• Options
    MamaBish said:
    So just realizing everyone else met online and/or has these super sweet "meet cutes" and I'm over here super classy like:

I mean, it is a FANTASTIC song... did you guys also dance your 1st dance at the wedding to it :)

Music Video Beyonce animated GIF

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    yogahh said:
    MamaBish said:
    So just realizing everyone else met online and/or has these super sweet "meet cutes" and I'm over here super classy like:

I mean, it is a FANTASTIC song... did you guys also dance your 1st dance at the wedding to it :)

Music Video Beyonce animated GIF

Sadly no :(

P.S. that gif is strangely mesmerizing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    We actually met at the gym too! I work at a gym and we saw each other on a Wednesday. That saturday he came up to me and asked if he could put his head phones behind the desk because they died (Bluetooth headphones). We started talking and then wehad our first date that following monday. We were suppose to go motorcycle riding but the weather was iffy so we ended up seeing a moving at 10:05 at night. Looking back we laugh because we are both the type who are in bed by 9! Haha and also.. His headphones were never dead. Just his plot to talk to me. Smooth... Very smooth.
  • Options
    brittanyns5brittanyns5 member
    edited August 2015
    I met DH at a friend's bonfire party. We both got pretty drunk and ended up kissing. when the night was over we didn't exchange numbers so I thought that was it. The next day he messaged my friend on Facebook for my number and we ended up going to a cage fight together that next night. Not a crazy romantic first date but we both enjoy that stuff so very fun. We have been inseparable ever since.

Edited cause words are hard.
  • Options
    I went to an all girls school and shared a school bus with some guys that went to an all boys school. I became good friends with a guy on that bus and he asked me to be his date to his senior prom (I was a junior). I was nervous to go because I had heard a lot of not-so-great gossip about his best friend, and knew he would be there. I had pretty much decided that I would hate his best friend and wouldn't talk to him. Well, he turned out to be pretty great and we've been together ever since! We always joke that DH stole me! My bus friend ended up being one of our groom's men :)
  • Options
    crdocrdo member
    Loving these stories!

DH and I met on my 18th bday freshman year of college. He was friends with a girl who I'd befriended at orientation. The friend, my roommate, and my hallmates surprised me with a birthday cake, and invited him to join. Just DH in a room full of ladies! I still remember the look on his face, lol. We became good friends after that, and after many hours all studying together in the next month, I finally got the hint DH was interested in me. The rest is history.
  • Options
    lm45678lm45678 member
    edited August 2015
    @MamaBish - don't feel bad! My sisters husband picked her up off the floor after she wiped out at a bar down the jersey Shore! X_X and yes, that was their FIRST meeting!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    cattlebridecattlebride member
    edited August 2015
    My dh was 5 years older than me. We met in kstate even though we went to the same school growing up. I was classy and met him at a bar during fake pattys day ;). The first thing he said to me was your really pretty can I kiss you. I replied no you're drunk. We met later that summer at softball and began dating later.
  • Options
    thesinga said:
    I met DH when I was on a date with another guy.  I had agreed to meet this guy I had been chatting with online, but insisted that he bring a friend, so that I could bring a friend and she wouldn't be lonely.  DH and I hit it off right away, but my date threatened him and my friend threatened me.  We didn't talk for the rest of the night, but he asked my friend for my AOL screenname the next day and the rest is history!  

It also just so happens that today is my 10 year wedding anniversary! :) 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    Happy Anniversary @thesinga!!!!!!!!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    We met during lunch at a training class I was attending for work.  Unfortunately I had to leave for the airport and fly home that afternoon, but DH later told me he came to look for me after the class was over to ask me to dinner.  Good thing I liked him too and had caught enough info about him to find his work email, so I sent him a note.  We exchanged e-mails for a few weeks, then started chatting on the phone and texting constantly.  It was still hard because we were about 500 miles apart and had spent a total of ~30 minutes together in person.  About 3 months after our first meeting we met at a neutral location in between our two cities and spent the day at an amusement park.  Two months after that we planned a week long ski vacation (I was convinced I was nuts! This could have gone horribly, but it worked out :) ).  We then started traveling to see each other every couple months until I got a job transfer to his city around a year after we initially met.  A few more months of dating while living in the same city, four months of engagement, three years of marriage, and here we are!  
    Me: 29      DH: 38
    Married: May 26, 2012
    BFP: September 10, 2015
    EDD: May 22, 2016
  • Options
    dixie7701dixie7701 member
    edited August 2015

My H moved to the town that we grew up in when we were in the 6th grade. He was the BIGGEST dork ever and I was like....super cool. We were really both band nerds, but he was on a whole new level of nerd. We were in band together, but we didn't hang around in the same circles at all. Fast forward to our 10 year high school reunion. I'm sitting at the bar with my best friend watching the Texas Rangers in a playoff game and he walks in. I remember looking at my best friend and asking her "When did Mike S. get hot?". We talked a little that night and he sent a Facebook friend request. He was living in South Carolina and I was here in Texas so I figured that chatting online/flirting wasn't a big deal. There was no WAY I could really do a long distance thing. Fast forward 6 months later he is moving to Texas to be with me. He proposed 9 months after that and we got married this past January.

ETA: He is still a MAJOR dork.....but its adorable.

#meangirls #dfdubclub

imageimage

• Options
    I love this! Not as cute as many of the stories y'all (that's right I said y'all) have but this is how it went down:

My summer job after my first year of university was at a factory where my mom worked. DH worked there but we never got scheduled at the same stations. My mom's friend ( who was actually 8 years older than I was) noticed I kept checking out DH and asked me if I was free to hang out on an upcoming weekend,  what cell number was, wrote it down and proceeded to walk over to DH and tell him he should ask me out and that she knew I was free!(I was really shy and was so embarrassed that she did that) After the next break he came over and asked me to go see a movie with him for that weekend.
    :x
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    High school football game.
  • Options
    thesinga said:
    I met DH when I was on a date with another guy.  I had agreed to meet this guy I had been chatting with online, but insisted that he bring a friend, so that I could bring a friend and she wouldn't be lonely.  DH and I hit it off right away, but my date threatened him and my friend threatened me.  We didn't talk for the rest of the night, but he asked my friend for my AOL screenname the next day and the rest is history!  

It also just so happens that today is my 10 year wedding anniversary! :) 

Happy anniversary! I love that y'all met while you were on a date with someone else. And also, go AOL. :)

These are fun to read. DH and I also met on an online dating site. We met for coffee at Starbucks and hit it off, so we kept talking and had Taco Bell (gross). Then we made out in my car. We've had many much more fancy dates since then. :D

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    kmd0501 said:

My husband and I also met in the back of an ambulance!! He's a paramedic and I am an EMT. We run 24 hours shifts here so there was no escaping him lol I tried to avoid the whole dating things for a while but his cute smile finally wore me down and I am so glad he didn't give up on me :D