Breastfeeding

Clamping down

Hey everyone. My 3 and a half month old mostly comfort nurses now (we switched to formula) but keeps clamping down when he's nursing. It hurts so bad. I actually cry out in pain when he does it.

I honestly think he teething but teethers don't seem to interest him. And telling him no would be ineffective at this age I think.

Any suggestions? Even though we use formula he cries to nurse when he's tired or cranky so I really can't stop yet.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

Re: Clamping down

• I had this happening to me and googled it they say the clamping down is because they want more attention, teething or just because. What helps me is patting or rubbing lo when this happens or unlatch in and letting her relatch. They also say try massaging their jaw or if you yelp in pain usually they will correct it themselves they do not want to hurt the momma.
  • Clamping down is how babies control the flow with a bottle, so he is probably used to doing that. If you notice a pattern of when he is clamping you can try to prevet it.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS does this too and man does it hurt. I jumped and made a sound last time and he has basically stopped. I always unlatched and relatched when it happened. 
  • Mine does it when he's cranky and/or distracted. I noticed that he never does it when I have my nursing cover on, so now I sometimes put it on even inside the house.