High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

C section with hysterectomy

I am being planned as a c section hysterectomy due to placent increta. If anyone knows someone who has went through this can you tell me what to expect recovery wise? We've had too many other complications for me to ask (I always forget). Is there something in particular I should know? I've got 2-3 weeks left before surgery if I'm lucky but baby might have developed a brain bleed so it might be sooner.

Re: C section with hysterectomy

• Options
    Well I'm not sure what information your looking for but I have done anesthesia for this particular condition. You will most likely be put under general anesthesia because a spinal/epidural wouldn't last the length of the surgery. Blood loss from this can be significant and transfusion during the surgery is very likely. Both of the cases I've done baby and mom did very well. If you have any specific questions I will try my best to answer; just not sure what info you are looking for.
  • Options
    I was looking for what recovery is like in comparison to just a csection. But since I have you here, how long does it usually take? Just a ballpark cause I know everyone is different. I know I'll be awake for the baby's birth then I'll be put under general anesthesia.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hello!  I am currently 23 weeks pregnant with complete previa/accreta with a c-hysterectomy scheduled at 36 weeks.  If you are a facebook member there is a group on there that deals with previa, accreta, increta and percreta support.  The name of the group is Placenta Accreta, Increta and Percreta HFA.  

But I agree with the above poster.  From what I have seen, you will be awake for the delivery of baby but put to sleep during surgery.  Especially with increta and the possibility of having to fix other organs your surgery could take a while.  

Your recovery will depend on how extensive your damage is, I suppose.  I have heard recovery time in the hospital will last any where to 4 days and beyond.  

I wish you the best of luck and a quick surgery and that you have minimal damage.    
    Erin

Mom to 3 Boys (Ages 10, 8 & 3)

Mom to 3 Angels

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Your hospital stay should be only a few days but the recovery will be from 6-10 weeks. This will really depend on how soon you start walking after the surgery (the sooner the better). Not lifting more than 5lbs so that your abdomen can heal. Take your pain meds as prescribed. A lot of people try to stop them too early and end up not moving much because they hurt so bad which in turn makes your recovery longer. Taking too much of the pain meds can also have a similar effect because people don't feel any pain and start doing more things than their body is ready for this slowing the healing process. So take the pain meds as prescribed (usually every 4-6 hours)(set an alarm at night to take them so that you have consistent pain control and can sleep and wake up without hurting. There is nothing worse that trying to play catch up on your pain medicine!! Using Tylenol to supplement any break through pain (just make sure that you don't go over the recommended amount per day and remember many pain meds have some Tylenol in them so take that into account). Some people recommend wearing an abdominal binder which they may put one on you after the surgery. And if you remember I would request absorbable stitches for your incision that way you don't have to worry about coming back to have stitches/staples removed later. Keeping the incision clean and dry to prevent any postop infection. Hope this helps!!! Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Options
    gvgauthi said:

Your hospital stay should be only a few days but the recovery will be from 6-10 weeks. This will really depend on how soon you start walking after the surgery (the sooner the better). Not lifting more than 5lbs so that your abdomen can heal. Take your pain meds as prescribed. A lot of people try to stop them too early and end up not moving much because they hurt so bad which in turn makes your recovery longer. Taking too much of the pain meds can also have a similar effect because people don't feel any pain and start doing more things than their body is ready for this slowing the healing process. So take the pain meds as prescribed (usually every 4-6 hours)(set an alarm at night to take them so that you have consistent pain control and can sleep and wake up without hurting. There is nothing worse that trying to play catch up on your pain medicine!! Using Tylenol to supplement any break through pain (just make sure that you don't go over the recommended amount per day and remember many pain meds have some Tylenol in them so take that into account). Some people recommend wearing an abdominal binder which they may put one on you after the surgery. And if you remember I would request absorbable stitches for your incision that way you don't have to worry about coming back to have stitches/staples removed later. Keeping the incision clean and dry to prevent any postop infection. Hope this helps!!! Good luck and keep us posted!

And... if you plan on breastfeeding.... don't let someone tell u you cant. Sure u may have to do some supplementing if the surgery is complicated... but have a plan in place... or at least an idea of what you'd like to do
  • Options
    Thanks I appreciate it. The date is set, 09/04. The wait begins.
  • Options
    i have had hysterectomy with adherent placenta two years back. I agree with what most of the people above have said. I was given general anesthesia and there was significant blood loss for me. I was in hospital for a week and later on i was prescribed bed rest for another week post hospital release. I took off from work for two months,rested and avoided stairs and heavy lifting. I was feeling perfect by the end of first month. Light walk and daily massages helped me recover faster.
    Best of luck to you and your baby. May you be blessed with happiness and have a speedy recovery.