January 2016 Moms
Options

Swimming while pregnant

I like swimming and my friends are telling me that I shouldn't swim while pregnant becouse it's easier to get an infection. Anybody knows anything about this?

Re: Swimming while pregnant

• Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    My midwife said you should just do whatever activitiesyou would normally do. If that's swimming, then swim. If that's skydiving, then... well, maybe don't do that one. But the context of our convo was jetskiing. If I got the green light to jet ski, then swimming will be perfectly safe.
  • Options
    Don't listen to your friends you can swim swimming is actually recommended during pregnancy. You have more discharge for that reason to keep the vagina extra clean for pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh swimming, I've already gone swimming a few times, even in the OCEAN! I hope I didn't hurt the baby!
  • Options
    My doctor recommended that I stick to pools.. The lakes around me are all man made and gross. I didn't ask her specifically why no lakes because I wouldn't be doing that anyways. Pools are 100% ok.
  • Options
    Yeah I mean, I've swam in rivers, lakes, the ocean, pools, and this little guy is doing just fine. All hail the mucous plug!
  • Options
    hailees said:

My doctor recommended that I stick to pools.. The lakes around me are all man made and gross. I didn't ask her specifically why no lakes because I wouldn't be doing that anyways. Pools are 100% ok.

Yeah this I don't swim in lakes so I didn't even think of it as an option but swimming pools are fine!
  • Options
    The only thing I could really see that would make swimming iffy is if you were swimming in stagnant pond water or something... I've done pools and the beach and about to go on vacation and do more oceans and pools lol. Definitely safe.
  • Options
    Leah6120Leah6120 member
    edited August 2015
    Def be careful in water you feel may be stagnant or polluted.. but you absolutely should swim!! It's great for you esp as you grow. My BFF helped get her baby from breach to head down in the pool. Your vaginal canal and cervix are loaded with mucus to protect you from bacteria.
  • Options
    SummerOHSummerOH member
    edited August 2015
    I wouldn't swim in stagnant or polluted water ever. Brain amoebas and all that. The ocean, lakes, and pools are all fine. The mucus plug is no joke!

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    Being from the East Coast, I never swim in fresh water. Before I was pregnant, several years ago, I swam in Lake Michigan with my husband. I think our bodies weren't used to the bacterias that are in fresh water - we were both the sickest we have ever been. Maybe if you grow up in lake water your body can handle it differently.
  • Options
    I love swimming when I'm pregnant. It's such a pleasant feeling of weightlessness. Totally relieves the soreness from the varicose veins in my leg, too. Swim, swim, SWIM!
  • Options
    I'm swimming in my local pool every day. It just needs to be below a certain temp - best to check what this is- my local pool is 27 degrees which is fine. It helps with aches and pains and stretches you out and I would think would help with breathing - if you swim underwater etc. it also takes the weight of your bump and you don't sweat/ overheat just be careful walking around the pool and slippy areas. I do 24 or 28 lengths but never over 30 mins...
  • Options
    This post is so funny to me because I live in the Land of 10,000 lakes (MN) and people here swim in lakes all the time, and it's perfectly normal here.

Like pp's have said swimming is really good for you during pregnancy.
  • Options
    Swimming is perfectly fine during pregnancy. With my last one I ended up doing pool therapy to help with various pelvic issues and it was awesome! I swam all the way till labor. I highly recommend it.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have a high risk pregnancy and the only activity that I can is swimming per my dr.
  • Options
    I have never heard of not being allowed to swim during pregnancy. I'd imagine it's fine, as PPs can clearly attest to, but you can always call your doctor's office to hear what they say about it.
  • Options
    hailees said:

The bacteria level in lakes can fluctuate, especially if it has been raining.
  • Options
    Swimming is one of the best activities you can do while pregnancy. Don't listen to your friends.
  • Options
    Swimming is great and encouraged. Just don't swim in polluted or stagnant water. Don't swim in a hot tub/extremely hot water. Or don't get into water if u have a leaking amniotic sac or ur water has broken ( down the road recommendation).
  • Options
    Here's something from what to expect when you're expecting app. It was part of today's read

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/swimming?iid=mobileapp_expertarticle_
  • Options
    I am currently im Costa Rica and I have been jumping in the big surf waves. I am 18.5 weeks now and feel ok doing so. I don't get washed down or land very hard but I also don't stay in too long. I just use my intuition on what feels right.
  • Options
    GrassietaGrassieta member
    edited August 2015
    I am about to enroll in pregnant swimming classes for Fall! Swimming is great exercise and the pool is the only thing keeping me alive this summer. I live by the beach and the only thing I was ever told (with my first pregnancy, due in September; not useful this time around LOL) is not to go in the ocean too close to my due date in case part of all or my mucous plug was gone because I'd be more vulnerable to infections and not to soak for hours in the pool because my water could break and not notice it.

edited for typos