August 2015 Moms

Overdue mommas, how did you pick your induction date?

With my due date just days away, I know at my next dr. appt. we will discuss induction. How did you decide what day to be induced?

Did you pick the latest day you could because you didn't want to be induced? Or the earliest so you wouldn't have to be pregnant anymore? Or did you pick a day you knew your dr. was on call?

With my first I went a week over and when the dr. asked when I wanted induction I said 'ANY day but May 5th', so we scheduled it for the 6th. (Guess who had a cino de mayo baby anyway.)

Re: Overdue mommas, how did you pick your induction date?

• My doc is the one who scheduled my induction date for me. It was the furthest date out while still being safe. I don't plan on the induction though, hoping to go into labor before then.
  • With my first there wasn't really a choice as it was medically necessary to have her come early, but with this one I've picked the latest day permissible by the practice to allow myself the chance to go into labour naturally (which is 41 weeks).
  • Loading the player...
  • My doc is the one who scheduled my induction date for me. It was the furthest date out while still being safe. I don't plan on the induction though, hoping to go into labor before then.

^ This. My doc scheduled mine for exactly 41 weeks because he wants the best chance of the baby coming naturally and the best chance of my body ripening on its own to help the induction process. Because he knows the exact date of my conception (it was an IUI) he won't let me go past 41 weeks because of health risks. So I'm headed to the hospital at midnight tonight to start the process.
  • My midwife won't induce without medical reason until 42 weeks, which is fine by me because I was induced with DD and would really like to avoid it. Midwife does do an ultrasound at 41w, though.
  • The closest day to 42 weeks that my doctor is on call, which will be 41.6 for me

I'm really hoping she comes before then on her own. (I'm 40.3 now)

• I picked the day because I liked the number combination!

Scheduled csection, but still! Funny though, I want a VBAC but would be disappointed if baby wasn't born on the day I picked!! (Doc won't let me go past due date, I went with 39w5d. Almost as long as possible!)
  • When I was pregnant with DS my OB was super sketchy about letting me go even one day past 41 weeks. Now with my new OB he's totally fine going to 42 weeks. I don't know if this is a difference in Drs. or attitudes toward being overdue and induction have changed.
  • #1 dr induces at 41wks but the hospital only does overdue inductions on Tues, thurs and Sat so we picked 41wks1d

#2 attempted a VBAC. Dr didn't want me to go past 40w6d so my induction was at 40wk4d. I probably would have waited 2 more days but my SIL had taken off work and flown in to take care of DD 7 days prior so I felt bad waiting 2 more days.

#3 is a RCS at 40wk2d unless I go into labor naturally then I can try for a VBA2C. The Drs are not thrilled that I scheduled my cection 2 days late when they prefer 39wks.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I'm exactly 41 weeks today and still hopeful I won't have to be induced like with my first 2 as I am trying to have her naturally at a birthing center.. but my midwife won't send me to the hospital to be induced til exactly 42 weeks. I'm having contractions now but they have come and gone several times over the past weeks :/
  • I will be induced at 41 weeks if baby girl doesn't come on her own. My midwife told me that's standard for the hospital I'm delivering at. She said they don't want babies cooking until 42 weeks because the chance of complications increase.
  • Im at the dr right now about to discuss my induction date. Im 40+6 and just want them to give me shot to go into labor on my own for as long as I can. They had me do an ultrasound today to check my fluid levels bc they wanted me to get induced this Wednesday and I actually asked if at the very least we could wait until Thursday so that I can take DSD to the first day of first grade tomorrow. So basically im choosing my date partially to accomodate my schedule lol out of wanting to be able to be there her first day and partly because I want to try to go into labor on my own.
  • Well, I am not overdue yet, but my doctor scheduled me for Aug 25th which would put me at 41w6d. That is as long as they will let me go. I really don't want to be induced and seeing as my other two came on their own I don't want my induction date to happen before my body has a chance to go into labor on its own. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• The doctor's office called and the hospital scheduled it for 1 week (and a few days) after my due date.  I had no say what-so-ever.

• I tried to talk to my doctor about an induction if I do not go into labor naturally at 41 weeks but she did not really give me an answer... My insurance will be changing on September 1st and I would really, REALLY like to have the baby before then if at all possible since we have no idea what will or will not be covered under this insurance change.  Furthermore, I was an IVF pregnancy so we are positive on the due date, so that isn't really a concern that the date was miscalculated.

However I am hoping that I go into labor on my own naturally... I am due on Saturday but haven't really shown any advancements until yesterday I think the baby FINALLY dropped a bit lower.  I've been walking a ton every day trying to hopefully move things along because I don't want to have to stress out about the insurance change at 42+ weeks... This whole thing is so stressful. I just want her to arrive on her own :(
  • I'm 40+5 and we haven't even talked about picking a date for induction. I start stress tests and ultrasounds on Friday (if I'm still pregnant) and then we will go from there. 42 weeks is the cut off though but I'm hoping for no induction.
  • MissV22CMissV22C member
    edited August 2015
    At this stage I'm 40+1 FTM and have organised a sweep at 41 and induction at 41+1. Midwife said if a sweep is going to work I'll do its thing in 24 hours, if not then amniotomy it is.

Hospital policy is induction at 40+10, but my midwife won't be on that day and I've had her throughout my entire pregnancy so really want her on the day. Midwife did also say that LO's growth seems to have somewhat plateaued based on my belly meaaurements, so i thought i should play it safe.

That said she did let me know know that they do allow you to go over 40+10 by a few days IF ultrasounds, fetal monitoring show baby is fine and i appear to be on my way naturally. But this option would leave DH with basically no leave to spend with baby. He was only able to get 2 weeks off as there are so many people on leave and he can't push the start date back a few days (he's a police officer so i get it...). So as it is, if i need to be induced at 41+1 he will have 6 days with her. Murphy's law - this is exactly what'll end up hapenning! So i don't think i will be considering holding out past 40+10 even though he has encouraged me to consider it, bless him.

I was reading all the pros and cons of an amniotomy and the cons far outweigh the pros so i can't say I'm thrilled with the prospect...will definitely be spending the next week attempting to walk this baby out of me before then!
  • I was given an option for any day between 41 and 42 weeks, and I scheduled for the day that I liked the doctor on call the best (I'm with a practice that has 15 doctors, so it was someone different every day!!) I'm scheduled for 41w3d (40w4d today)
  • I'm high risk and being induced (date will be decided tomorrow). They said every day I wait some risks are going up while others are going down so it's really hard to decide a day. I would hate to be induced if the next day I would've gone into labor naturally but since there is just no way to know, I'm going to ask what my doctor would do if it was his wife/daughter because I really trust and value his opinion.
  • My Dr told me if I got past my due date she will induce me 10 days after if needed
  • Both I was induced with my first and induced with #2 last week. Both of them I just said as soon as the hospital can schedule me. Once I knew it was coming I wanted it done.
  • My doc wanted to see an 8 on the scale before scheduling an induction; at 41 weeks it would be considered a medical reason and anything earlier would be on call.

On my due date I was 3 cm dilated and an 8 on the scale so we picked 40w 6d to do an induction; my doc would be on call all day that day plus it fit in my range of when I wanted to have the baby. Since it would be on call if I couldnt get in that day, L&D would have to fit me in the next day at 41w.

The the doc stripped my membranes and told me I would have the baby within 48 hours anyway and she was right! Went into labor that very night.
  • The Dr didn't want me to go 10 days overdue and she booked me infor next Thursday. Had no say in the matter.
  • I think in most cases it is up to the doctor and hospital availability.  I think mine will be on Tuesday at 40w6d if I don't go into labor before then.  I would rather go into labor naturally, but have no problem being induced to get this moving if need be.  More power to all you ladies willing to go to 42 weeks.

• I'm not over due yet (39wks) but if i don't go into labor before then my dr will induce at 41 weeks. Really hoping to avoid an induction this time around tho.
  • Just how common is it for moms to go to 42 weeks? I hope I am not in that boat, though I am not due till the end of the month.
    Anniversary
  • nofrogs said:

Just how common is it for moms to go to 42 weeks? I hope I am not in that boat, though I am not due till the end of the month.

According to my doula 95% of women will go into labor by 42 weeks.

If you're asking how common it is for docs to be cool with this (rather than 41) I have no idea.

• mrieemriee member
    edited August 2015
    My induction date has been set for next Wednesday, basically 12 days past my original DD. 12 days is the most my doctor will agree to wait as its apprerently not safe after that. I'm hoping he arrives before then though as I'd rather go into labor naturally.
  • mrsdormanemrsdormane member
    edited August 2015
    I'm 39 with a closed, high cervix and no effacement. Yesterday, my doc said that I would have an US (biophysical profile) at 41 weeks and IF it appears that baby is doing good, we would wait until 42 weeks to induce (and hope I just go into labor on my own before that!). I don't know why each dr is different. A friend of mine will be induced at 41 bc her doc doesn't let people go over that.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 (surprise) 10/3/13; MMC 10/30/13; D&C 10/31/13
    BFP #2 4/20/14 EDD 12/31/14; BO diagnosed 5/30/14; natural MC (so i thought); D&C 6/10/14 
    BFP #3 12/11/14; First HCG 198-Second HCG 432; First u/s HR 171 bpm- EDD 8/23/15