Infertility
Options

PCOS Anyone?

I'm new too this group, after trying to convince since April with no luck a lot of irregular menstrual cycles , long heavy sometimes gone for 3 months sometimes there 2 months bleeding for 2 1/2 week spotting between periods, I went to a gynecologist , and he let me know I have PCOS and started me on 500mg of metformin and a prenatal vitamin , I'm hoping to conceive , anyone having luck with just this alone ?

Re: PCOS Anyone?

• Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS almost 2 years ago...  I had little luck with metformin.  My regular GYNO thought I may need more with it.  Others have had it work fine.   I also don't ovulate on my own.   I was sent to an endo - RMA - best choice I feel so far.  They work with you and make sure your body does what it needs to do.  My first appointment with them was June 22 and I already had my first IUI and in the 2ww.  

Metformin might work for you, make sure they are properly monitoring you.  FX and good luck!
    TTC since 2013 (loss mentioned)
    IUI #1 and 2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP - miscarried at 7 weeks
    started IVF cycle Feb 2016
    2/19 ER-- 20 Retrieved 12 fertilized 6 tested 
    2/26 -- 3 normal, 2 abnormal, 2 unconfirmed 
    4/3 transfer
    4/29 - Miscarried
    8/25 - transfer
    9/3 - BFP  -- fingers crossed...
  • Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited August 2015
    I was dx PCOS at age 22. Now age 34...I tried metformin briefly at 24 just to regulate cycles and had a bad reaction so haven't tried it since so I can't offer help there, although I can say I'm PCOS without significant glucose issues and I still haven't conceived naturally. Ditching simple carbs and sodas is a must tho for all us PCOS ladies.

Also- just in case you try OPKs... PCOS patients tend to have high sustained LH (what the kits test for) so you could get false positives. I found that one out the hard way... There was an evil
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited August 2015
    Evil Smiley face on the stick for 5 days straight before I realized I been hosed. GL and hope you get your BFP soon!
  • Options
    I was dx with PCOS a few months ago. We have been TTC since October. I also have endometriosis so we began to see an infertility doctor 3 months ago. This month is going to be out first round of medication and an IUI! Not so patiently waiting for AF to make an appearance so we can get the party started. Nervous but excited!
  • Options
    Welcome to the group. I have always had irregular cycles (put on BC at 13 to regulate) but I was not diagnosed with PCOS until went off BC and started trying to conceive at 23. I never treated wth metformin. As I did not have glucose issues my OBGYN went straight to clomid. I did about 6 cycles of clomid maxing out at a dose of 200mg per day for 5 days. Unfortunately I did not respond. After clomid I was referred to a reproductive endocrinologist and have spent the last few months knocking out all the diagnostic requests the RE wanted before continuing treatment. HSG to look for tubal issues. Water sonogram to look for abnormalities in the uterus. The works. Will be moving on to injectables and iui in September! Very excited!!! Good luck on this journey :)
  • Options
    @PCOSat25 did you RE ever try letrozol? PCOS patients who don't have the typical endocrine issues (aka skinny PCOS although I find that term isn't always accurate and hate when docs use it) have had much better luck with letrozol. They skipped clomid for me for that reason.
  • Options
    @HBamama2B I have not tried letrozole. My RE mentioned it at my first visit and then dropped it...we are doing our last round of blood work before he puts together our first IUI cycle plan. I will ask him about it then. Thanks!
  • Options
    GL! Worked like a charm for me, got several good size follicles. No BFP yet, but maybe this 2nd cycle is it!
  • Options
    I have PCOS as well. My husband and I have been actively trying to get pregnant for about 10 months. We got pregnant in May/June, but I miscarried at 6 weeks. I've found that totally changing your diet is why worked for me! I totally cut out meat, carbs (not all carbs) and alcohol and it seemed to work! I'm patiently waiting for my body to get back to "normal" (whatever that means, since I don't have a cycle regularly or without medication), before I start trying again! I wish you all the best of luck! Keep praying and believing!
  • Options
    nprlnprl member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS last year. Me and DH have been trying actively for a year and half. With PCOS have been missing periods and needed Provera. I have been working towards losing weight and eating healthy as I read that it helps with PCOS. We tried naturally with Clomid but could not find O day. Then was referred to RE, who suggested that I try an Inasitol supplement to help with the PCOS. On my first IUI cycle with Clomid. 2ww.
  • Options
    I was told I have pcos. 3 years agai me and my husband decided we wanted another baby. so we started trying after almost a year of nothing I went to the doctors and they gave me metformin, still nothing so I tryed comind for 2 months after over a year and a half of nothing we gave up. I went on my pill and we desied to get married. In December 2014 we go married and in June we went on our honeymoon. When we go back mid June we decided again we would try so I came off my pill and within 3 weeks I was pregnant. The best advise I can give is don't put to much pressure on your self (easier said than done I know) I really do wish you the best of luck and I hope you get a BFP soon xxx
  • Options
    I am in the same boat. Just found out last week and found i have 12 cysts on my left ovary. Doctor prescribed me 500 mg of metformin (4)and prenatals. My husband and I are trying for another baby and i just recently had some spotting. So we are keeping our fingers crossed.
  • Options
    nprlnprl member
    edited August 2015