January 2016 Moms

Brussel sprouts

Hi ladies. I have a quick question.. are brussel sprouts safe to eat while you are pregnant?

Re: Brussel sprouts

• Is there a reason you'd think they wouldn't be safe?  As long as you prepare them properly (as like you would any other food), then yes.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• I am unsure if this is a joke or not, but yes. They are safe.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • nlwz123 said:

Is there a reason you'd think they wouldn't be safe?  As long as you prepare them properly (as like you would any other food), then yes.

Maybe because of the sprout in the name??? But they are not really sprouts like the kind they say to stay away from. Perfectly fine during pregnancy!
  • SummerOHSummerOH member
    edited August 2015
    Everything you ate pre-pregnancy is safe to eat while pregnant. Just get your food from reputable sources.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• They might be safe for you, but not anyone around you lol!! ;-) xxxxxx
  • No things that are green are not safe at all...
  • All I can think of when I see Brussel Sprouts is 
    BURSL PROTS!

They are my favorite veggie to make oven fries of (olive oil, s/p, 375 for 30 or so). Recommended.
  • JanMarMay said:

All I can think of when I see Brussel Sprouts is 

BURSL PROTS!

They are my favorite veggie to make oven fries of (olive oil, s/p, 375 for 30 or so). Recommended.
    Do you leave them whole? Or slice up like a chip...?
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • l4rkl4rk member
    kkfl2m+b said:

JanMarMay said:

BURSL PROTS!

I was literally just about to ask this same question!

• kkfl2m+b said:

JanMarMay said:

BURSL PROTS!

This is how I make mine too, I quarter them and usually add some balsamic vinegar, soooo good!
  • I make a casserole with Brussels sprouts and cranberries and quinoa so good!
  • Mmm sounds good. We put ours through thru a food processor to shred them and then sauté with a garlic and herb basting oil. So good. Also love them roasted, grilled, steamed with butter.... Whatever just give them to me! I'll have to try the quarter fry method.
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • @happyandhopeful3 I read an article about sprouts being not safe during pregnancy.
  • @nlwz123 I want to put them in a salad. And I haven't used them Ever. So I thought I should ask and anyone who has used these can answer my question.
  • gelor0979 said:

@happyandhopeful3 I read an article about sprouts being not safe during pregnancy.

Sprouts, like alfalfa or other sprouts that are actually sprouted seeds are grown in damp conditions and can be prone to listeria which is why some sources say to stay away from them. I eat them still, I have always eaten them and never had an issue so I figure the risk is low. But Brussel Sprouts aren't really a sprout, they are grown like most vegetables are. I have some in my garden I need to harvest this week, can't wait!
  • @jeanbug12 thanks for your response :)
  • In all honestly, I love brussel sprouts which made me open this thread. My husband banned me from brussel sprouts during this pregnancy because it's the only thing that makes my fart smell so bad he can literally smell it from another room.
  • @jeanbug12 I'm kinda totally jealous that you have bean sprouts in your garden. I'm going to check if that's an option for me next year!
  • I've only ever liked them roasted w garlic and olive oil. A little salt too, can't forget the salt. I sure do hope they're not dangerous!
  • they're not. As with all fruits and vegetables, make sure to wash them thoroughly before consuming. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • I halve them, then toss them in a bowl with sea salt, cracked pepper and olive oil. Sometimes I add parm, lemon juice, or other veggies, then it's into the oven. I eat whole trays by myself on the regular
  • I love roasted Brussels sprouts!! Like other have said: halved, tossed in olive oil and then baked in the oven at 400 for about 25 min or until nicely browned.

Had them steamed once and they were very disappointing. Much better roasted.
  • i just make sure to eat all the foods really.
  • @jeanbug12 I'm kinda totally jealous that you have bean sprouts in your garden. I'm going to check if that's an option for me next year!

This is my first time growing them! I think I may have planted them a bit to early, but they look good!

Same here! We do square foot gardening and already have expansion plans for next year. I want to grow Brussels sprouts too!
    @jeanbug12 did you have any pest issues with them?
  • ntyravgsp said:

@jeanbug12 I'm kinda totally jealous that you have bean sprouts in your garden. I'm going to check if that's an option for me next year!

Same here! We do square foot gardening and already have expansion plans for next year. I want to grow Brussels sprouts too!
    No they were really easy! I bought a little six pack of transplants back in the spring and they have done pretty well. I have read they are prone to aphids but I never saw any on them, the aphids went crazy on my snap peas for a few days then the ladybugs moved in, phew! But, I need to research a bit more, it looks like they are supposed to harvest when it gets cool and I have some that look ready now, so i am wondering if i planted too soon? but I guess they keep producing for a while. I am still figuring all this gardening stuff out, I just put stuff in the ground and see what grows!
  • ntyravgsp said:

@jeanbug12 I'm kinda totally jealous that you have bean sprouts in your garden. I'm going to check if that's an option for me next year!

I'm so mad at myself now for not thinking to plant any.

I skimmed so sorry if it's already been mentioned, but they're in the cabbage family. Which makes sense, since they're basically teeny tiny more delicious cabbages.