Babies on the Brain

Prenatal Vitamins

DH and I decided to stop using BC and just let things happen naturally.  I'm not taking a prenatal right now, but plan to start this week.  I just want to make sure I'm taking the best one possible.  What is everyone taking?  How much does it cost?  Where do you get it?   How did you decide to use that particular brand? 

I want something that is very natural.  I've looked into the Honest Company, but they seem a little pricey ($35) a month for a daily prenatal and a DHA supplement.  Is a supplement needed?  I've looked at some other brands at Whole Foods, but I'm completely overwhelmed.   

Re: Prenatal Vitamins

• HookEmNelsonHookEmNelson member
    edited August 2015
    You will hear a lot of different opinions on prenatals. I went with the One A Day Prenatal with DHA, some ladies go straight gummies, and others go the prescribed route; as you have seen there are so many options. Anyone can react differently to prenatal vitamins. Some women get nauseous, others just can't take certain brands, and some have no issues. Whatever you choose, I would suggest including the DHA.
    Hopefully some ladies will be able to chime in on the natural vitamins. Good luck! Very exciting times!
  • I went with the Nature Made Prenatal with DHA back when I was TTC my daughter; I spoke with my Dr. and he supported that. I stuck with it because I never had any issues taking them and they didn't make me sick at all. I think I also bought them during a 'buy one, get one free' sale. I should also add, if you have trouble taking pills, you may want to stay away from that one; the pills are pretty huge. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Different prenatals are available at each store. I went to one of my local grocery stores and looked at all the ingredient listings to see how much of each was in there. I used this link: https://vitguide.com/prenatal-vitamins/   to make sure I had proper amounts of what I should and decide for me what was best. Because they can get expensive, amazon almost always has them. Mine at the store cost like $20 but I ordered them off amazon for like $12 and ordered 3 months worth. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My gyno said it doesn't matter whatsoever, as long as it says "prenatal" on it. I take whatever gummy is on sale, because gummy vitamins don't make me sick.
  • I've heard brand doesn't really matter as long as it's a prenatal
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • I'm taking over the counter Pre Natal gummies. :) My problem is, I have to be REALLY careful with it all because the Iron, no matter the amount in the vitamins, makes me REALLY nauseous, light headed, and gives me bad nose bleeds! @-) So, I'm stuck with taking one vitamin, every 2 weeks. Bad enough my sinuses are making me nauseous, or makes me throw up. I don't need to make it worse!

But honestly. I've always beentold it doesn't matter, as long as the vitamins show "Prenatal". Also, if you can hande prenatal vites like me, I've also been told OJ is a great substitute. Or oranges, fruits, and veggies. As well as low mercury fish. But how true that is, I'm not sure...
  • greeneyes14greeneyes14 member
    edited August 2015
    I'm taking the first response preparing for pregnancy vitamins with DHA.
    And then when we finally get pregnant I will be switching to the Baby and Me brand I think but not sure yet because it doesn't have DHA so Ide need to find a seperate vitamin for that which is pretty annoying.
  • ska8471ska8471 member
    edited August 2015
    My friend is a pharmacist and told me they are generally all the same unless you have specific/high needs (i.e: history of neural tube defects in your family=needing a couple mg more of folic acid).

Some pharmacies will give you them free, one month at a time (Sobey's grocery store pharamcies in Canada).

I went with Centrum Prenatals + DHA. The DHA is a separate pill and they were $24.99 (CND) for a 2 month supply at Wal-Mart. I have a finicky stomach (IBS and acid reflux) and find as long as I take them with a meal they don't bother me. 

edited for spelling
  • My favorite is the Ultra Mega Green Prenatal from GNC. It was the only prenatal that didn't make me sick while pregnant. I like it because it is a whole food enhanced multivitamin and it has no artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. It costs like $23 if you are a member and like $29 if you are not. 

• I bought a big bottle if Costco prenatal vitamins. Though my dr. said you need 1000 mcg of folic acid a day and all of the ones I found only had 800 so I also bought folic acid supplements to take in addition to the prenatal. I never had a problem with any brand. The only time I had a problem was when I took the vitamin in the morning instead of at night on a full stomache, I threw up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's true everyone has an opinion on this... Personally I think Designs for Health is the best, they were prescribed by my Naturopath. https://www.covenanthealthproducts.com/prenatal-pro-essential-packets-60p-by-designs-for-health?catargetid=1708823501&gclid=Cj0KEQjwr8uuBRCcg6-s-4TrmIsBEiQAN1TdET8m6-2XmRZX0U_NFOe3LyqBtel25jgBw1AMmpegW_QaAu018P8HAQ
    Especially since most vitamins use folic acid instead of folate because it's cheaper, but not that good for you....
    I also got their CoQ10 supplement for myself and dh, because it's supposed to improve egg and sperm quality.
    https://www.covenanthealthproducts.com/coqnol-ubiquinol-100mg-60-soft-gel-by-designs-for-health
    Right now there is even a promo code good till the end of this month for 15% off :) SUMMER15