Babies: 6 - 9 Months

7 month old fighting bottle feedings

Hi,
I have a question about LO and when he's taking his bottle. It has recently become a painstaking, labor intensive process. He fights it but kicking, trying to walk up our legs and bodies, turns away, whines, cries, and tried to sit up during it. Is this normal? Is there anything we can do to get us back to better feeding sessions? He will hold the bottle for a couple of minutes then lets go. We try burping him periodically and sometimes that helps and other times, it has no effect. We've tried the sippy cup but he mostly tried to play with it, tipping it upside down and chewing on the bottom. Tonight, we put him on the floor and gave him the bottle so he's not being held because it was getting intense and we were worried that he was going to fall or get hurt because of all the twisting and us trying to hold him. What happened and can we fix it??? Help!!!

Re: 7 month old fighting bottle feedings

• I've had the same problem! My lo does all the exact same things that you are describing. I try to just calm her down by rocking her and giving her a pacifier until she is calm. She plays with the pacifier, but I let her until I feel like I should try the bottle again. Then she will eat the bottle in increments until finally she is too tired and takes the bottle peacefully. My lo also refuses to hold her bottle.

Does this happen the closer you get to bedtime? I'm beginning to think she's associating her bottle with sleep and that's why she's being such a handful.
  • I actually called my pediatrician and she told me that she thinks he is eating too soon. She said to increase the amount of food to 8oz and move to 4 or 5 hours between feedings instead of every 3 and 6 oz. we've done this and it has helped so much. He now sits aand eats like he used to. He's hungry and ready for his food without being fidgety or fighting the feeding. I think he just wasn't hungry.
  • Loading the player...
  • I tried this for the past couple of nights and it's great! Thanks for sharing what you're ped said!
  • Oh that's great! I'm so glad it worked for you too!!! I always say, "when in doubt, call the pediatrician" haha!